Just Got Our New Gx470

teutonictrio

First of all, we were on the list for the upcoming Land Rover LR3 for a number of reasons - technological prowress (from press releases and early drives), stadium seating, and supposedly the third row is designed for 95th percentile males (6'2", 215lbs). Well, we went to test drive the GX470 today (it's a car for my wife - I have a MB E500 and a Porsche Boxster S - we have a 19 month old and didn't want a minivan, although the new '05 Odyssey Touring was looking nice) so she could see how it rode before we get the LR3 in November. We now have a GX470 in our garage, loaded (nav, towing hitch, dvd, third row). I was surprised how much I liked it and she just loved it, and this for someone who hates trucks (my wife).

We test drive the LX470 also and didn't like it whatsoever - lurching, heavy feeling, underpowered, and didn't even have 2 zone climate control in the front!

Anyway, while we could have waited 2 weeks to test drive the Land Rover, I considered that it would have to be MUCH, MUCH better than the GX because of the huge benefits the Lexus has in reliability, service, and depreciation. She seemed excited to get it, and really enjoyed the ride and luxury, so we cut a deal for $1000 over invoice on the one we wanted.

Anyway, a few comments, and a few questions.

I'm not too familiar with many third row seats in SUV's, but I could sit back there (not comfortably, but with headroom) and I'm 6'2" There's little legroom for sure, but for a short trip it wouldn't be a problem for anyone shorter than me I would think. I read all these scathing review about the third row seat (seems the only thing the reviewers complain about on this vehicle - everything else is glowing) and don't understand what they expect. It's fine for me, and I'm quite tall! I wouldn't want to sit back there for endless hours, but kids will be just fine, or small adults, as long as there are no bumps...Are other SUV's (skip the Lincoln or other American stuff - just reliable vehicles like the Lexus) that much better in the 3rd row?

The LATCH system is really odd in this vehicle, offset so that the car seat sits half on the seat and half on the middle bolster. Anyone successful in affixing a car seat to the middle or the drivers side rear seat? What are the tricks that I'm missing?

Overall, fantastic vehicle - far exceeded my expectations, and hers too. The Lexus service and sales advisors were absolutely top notch, and I'm accustomed to Mercedes and Porsche, and these guys would blow them away. No pressure, true heartfelt concern, and fantastic knowledge of product.

I'd love your comments on the aforementioned issues, and hope to read more posts on this board as we enjoy our new GX. I know our daughter Ella already has (with the DVD).

We have an 04 Silver GX470 and have the Britax Seat for out 24 month old in the middle position. Used the latch from the two sides and it is snug and the head restraint cord affixes well to the middle prong behind the seats. The plus is that this is the safest position for the child and the negative is that seating on either side of her is tight for adults because of the size of the Britax child seat. Hope that helps.

That's where we want to put her, but the LATCH anchors are placed so that it would render the 60/40 split unuseable because the one is over the 40 split. They don't have two anchors on the 60 side unless you go to behind the driver. If you hook up the middle latch anchors, you have one on the 60 and one on the 40, so nobody can use the rear seat unless it is disconnected, then reconnected when they want to get out.

I agree with you in that some complaints are a bit out of proportion. But, I guess that some people way issues far differently than I do. I have not had to use the child restraint system for the car seat. But, I have had others comment (on their own) on how they like the sensible layout of it. And even though I do like the truck, there are some little things that don't make sense to me (i.e. why does the the rear hatch have to be a door ???). But, than again, it is a sense of personal preferences and not legitimate faulty design .... :-)

BTW, beware the FM/CD/DVD audio level change when switching between those sources on your stereo. The DVD audio is lower than the others. It's an ear killer ..... ;-)