2 Old Lexi=full Time Job

lexxus

My 400 broke down again Friday night. Would turn over but would not start. Had to tow it to a garage and get a rental. Today, this top mechanic admitted he could not fix it, so I had to have it towed again to an electrical shop. Four days on the rental and counting. A few days after I bought it, I had to do the water pump/timing belt. Fixed the seat. Fixed the ac. Had a problem before when it wouldn't start. Also had a weird flat tire due to the "age" of the chrome wheel. All in all, a lot of stuff for a short time, especially after the Camry that never broke one time in many years. Oh yeah, the car "pings" like hell when you kick it, so maybe the stupid timing belt is a tooth off!

Even the most beautiful woman can get tiring if she's a pain.

Now, the saga with the other Lex, my girl's 300 with the crazy loud lifter...you know what? I'm too tired to even talk about it.

In answer to questions...car wasn't cheap at all. It's gorgeous, 80K, was always garaged, owned by a couple in their early 70's! Not a scratch on it until I've had to park it on the street the last few months.

Turns out the problem is the computer, another big ticket item. My only hope is that maybe, just maybe it was the computer making the car run crappy all along, with the "pinging" and no power. I'll find out when I get it back tomorrow.

Maybe it's just bad luck, but I can't help but think that it's 12/13 years old and that's about when electrical stuff starts to go. I'm thinking of trading up for a 95/96 300, since to be honest, I like the feel of the 300 better. And the mechanics the last few days have been telling me that the six is a bit easier to work on and diagnose.

The car is really nice. In fact, the lady backed out at the last minute crying, and the husband told me the deal was off. Then he called back later and said I could have it. Lucky me.

Sounds like the car was beat when you bought it ? Why ? Was it reletively inexpensive ? Some times people buy other peoples problems and then ask why !!!! I wish you the best for the beast . :cheers: Have one !!!!!!!

I had that same "clacking" sound when I would punch my SC400 a few months back. It started to get pretty bad and would occur at the top of each gear. I took someone's advice on here and used two back to back treatments of Techron (from Chevron) and the problem disappeared. I just thought that stuff was hipe. I couldnt believe it. I guess that sh#t works. I actually filled the tank with 10 gallons when it said to use 12. I figured there would be some kind of reserve in the tank. I wanted to make sure it was good and concentrated. I will be using the treatment every 3000k from now on.

Believe it or not back in auto class in high school we used to run carbed cars right off the bottle. :lol: It would idle different on cleaner than on gas but oh well....

lexxus: age has nothing to do with it. I've had several toyotas as old as 22 years old (the car, not me) when I was driving them, and had nothing but good luck. Never an electrical problem..... the car was likely OVERBABIED. Rather than injector cleaner go drive the *BLEEP* out of it.

The fogies may have run regular in it too, which should have triggered the knock sensors but if it was constantly running on the knock sensors then maybe the computer eventually had enough. The other thing is it may simply be your EFI relay and not the computer. It's not very often a Toyota ECU dies...

Good luck, but don't buy a different car because lackluster mechanics say it's easier to work on. They're just inferior mechanics... hell I had an MR2 Supercharged that almost no one would work on, doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the car. I just learned and did everything myself.

Aaron

Got the car back. The electrical guy says he thinks it's a good car. It still pings though, so I bought another bottle of Techron. It was definitely the computer. The electrician has been in business for 47 years! Really nice old guy. He pointed to an old Porsche, the one with the V8 I think, and he said that he had to send to Germany for the computer, and it's $2200. So, maybe I feel a little less bad. Thanks for the support everybody.

Lexxus,

What specifically was wrong with ecu -- did it have to be replaced and at what cost?

I think you mentioned you are limited in CA on 91 octane. Would be interesting to know if ping would go away on 93 octane available in other states.

I agree -- car needs some open road time with cleaner!

Also, any new development or information on the engine "rattle" saga on your girlfriend's SC300?

Hey, these problems come in groups -- you're due for good ride for awhile.

Good Lexus Luck...

The electrician originally wanted to get a "rebuilt" computer for $800, and then the labor was around $250, but I balked. He said a used one might only work for one week and then I'd be screwed. But I just could afford the $1100 hit, and I called around until I found a used one for $300. So, all the total damage for computer, labor, rental car, and some lost work time is probably about $750. And I'm praying that the used computer will work out.

I'm suing the guy who sold me my girlfriend's 300 with the bad lifter that sounds like it's coming through the side of the motor every morning. His lawyer sent me a letter telling me to lay off. I'll post after we go to small claims.