Sc300 Engine

BobbyJ1287

• 1 month later...

Supra TT engine swap for SC300 vs Normal Lexus SC300 Turbo

Cost:?

Performance?

Opinion?

Install:?

Since many have turboed the SC 300 single, it would be easier, cheaper and better performance to boot. That is why tt Supra owners go single.

TT wouldn't be worth it, just to be different.

To Bobby... depends on your budget and how fast u want to get. if u want to go really really fast and have money to spend, go with the Supra TT motor. if u want somethin fast and decent without spending too much money, go with the turbo for the SC300 motor.

• 1 month later...

well if your looking at a swap your going to be getting a jdm engine.. you can just forget about usdm. and if your getting a jdm engine and your obd2 and dont want vvt-i then you can forget a swap. now the real difference between going NA-T or just swapping in a 2jzgtte is the rods and the intake manifold and compression ratio. the NA engine has weaker rods and much higer compression so untill you lower the compression your stuck around 8psi on pump gas. and of course the awful non turbo intake manifold and its not so easy to just swap in the tt manifold either youve got to worry about throttle body position along with other things getting in the way. if your planning on really making a high hp monster i would go with the swap cuz in the long run it will be less expensive to acheive 800 900 or even 1000 hp if you really want to go that far. there are many nice NA-T kits tho i just got my turbonetics fmaxx kit on and i love it cost me 4000 for the kit and the install will be slightly cheaper than swapping in a new engine. the price actually comes out to being decently close for both of them. but going NA-T depending on the kit you get you should end up with a little more hp than a stock tt

• 4 weeks later...
well if your looking at a swap your going to be getting a jdm engine.. you can just forget about usdm.  and if your getting a jdm engine and your obd2 and dont want vvt-i then you can forget a swap.  now the real difference between going NA-T or just swapping in a 2jzgtte is the rods and the intake manifold and compression ratio. the NA engine has weaker rods and much higer compression so untill you lower the compression your stuck around 8psi on pump gas.

If I remember correctly, the Newer 2JZ-GE engines have the problem with the rods (~2000 and up I think)...

DaveH ran a 9.78 1/4 mile on his NA-T MKIV w/ a TH400 tranny.

Of course the awful non turbo intake manifold and its not so easy to just swap in the tt manifold either youve got to worry about throttle body position along with other things getting in the way. 

Again, DaveH makes a TT style intake manifold for around 700 bucks.

if your planning on really making a high hp monster i would go with the swap cuz in the long run it will be less expensive to acheive 800 900 or even 1000 hp if you really want to go that far.

Might wanna let ethan banks know that -- he built a 1000 HP SC... Built NA-T

there are many nice NA-T kits tho i just got my turbonetics fmaxx kit on and i love it cost me 4000 for the kit and the install will be slightly cheaper than swapping in a new engine. the price actually comes out to being decently close for both of them. but going NA-T depending on the kit you get you should end up with a little more hp than a stock tt

I'd take boost logic kit (www.boostlogic.com) for ~$3999 that has a tubular manifold made out of 341 SS.

A BPU TT will put out 450 RWHP on average, it will also run the 1/4 in about 12 seconds.

NA-T can be cheaper if you're smart about the parts you buy, but finding a deal on a donor MKIV 6spd TT will win out... your stock tranny will go after 450 (the 5speed W58 is a time bomb) and the open differential just has to go...

Either plan on 300-350 HP for 5k, or look for a wrecked TT that you can pick apart, because the driveline isn't going to hold up well at all.

...or combine the two and plan on NA-T w/ a thicker head gasket in a built tranny (if you're an auto) or a 6 speed donor if you've got a 5 speed.

Either way, it's not cheap.

• 2 months later...
well, here's what i think, if u got the money, twin turbo that SC300, if not, get a big !Removed! single turbo in there, it would be faster then the TT Supra. good luck.

Ummm... :chairshot: Whatever...

As with everything there are a few ways to do things.

I personally think that anything less than a full 2JZ-GTE swap is a compromise.

The Na-T's can make sick power. Dave H is the testament to that. But for all the one off parts he had to make, he could have gone with the well established and easily supported GTE platform. This is not a knock against Dave, rather just pointing out that *I* think the right way/easier way to make the sick kinds of power is to do the Full GTE swap.

You can do the 1Jz swap but is a pain to get parts in the states.

You can do a 1.5 Swap, but then your limited to certain manifolds for the GE head. Once again, I think its a compromise.

You can do a JDM GTE swap, but there are certain issues with that as well.

I got lucky when I did my car, and I found a USDM GTE motor at a decent price.

Since I did all of the wiring myself, and I helped with most of everything else, I honestly feel I can say that the GTE swap is fairly easy and considering the benefit I highly recommend it.

The twin turbo route is really just for bling bling. There was a huge arguement on the MKIV list just last week about this. 95% of the people agreed that a single conversion is the way to go. Big single or small single is your call, all depending on all your goals.

TT's makes sense for a V or flat motor, but an inline it just doesn't make sense.

Mike

97 Sc300 GTE'd

867RWHP on its first dyno pass.

More to come.

P.S. Typos are all over my post. Deal with it. :)

• 3 months later...
"The Na-T's can make sick power. Dave H is the testament to that. But for all the one off parts he had to make, he could have gone with the well established and easily supported GTE platform."

If you don't have extensive mechanical expericience and detailed auto knowledge, I recommend going NA-T. I also recommend going NA-T because you're car will be UNoperational for less time compared to a full swap. Several of these "one off" parts are now available for the NA-T community. NA-T is cheaper for the common person without the tools and lift necessary for a 2JZ-GTE swap. It is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper if you buy used parts and piece together your own turbo kit ($3,000 total including new clutch and pro-tuning costs). "BEAN" on clublexus.com forums and a few others are a testament to that! Sometimes you can find new parts that other persons purchased but never used = good deals.

My point is that it's easier, IMHO, financially and time-wise to turbo the NA 2JZ-GE engine rather than swap in a 2JZ-GTE motor, then go single, etc. IF your power goals are above 650rwhp, then I'd recommend the 2JZ-GTE, but if not, my research says NA-T is the more convenient alternative for the common person.

I agree with sc300ccret on the w58 transmission. If you're going over 400rwhp, you'd be better off with the getrag 6 speed swap too. I know a few persons that are running 400rwhp on the stock 5 speed transmission for a few years now, but DaveH told me about someone that blew their tranny at 460rwhp...so just something to keep in mind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

for more good info, go to the following websites:

www.clubna-t.com

www.clublexus.com

www.supraforums.com

And ALWAYS remember there is no such thing as "SLAPPING A TURBO ON"to this car. It requires a lot more time, proper understanding, and proper usage of a COMPLETE NA-T parts setup...in other words it's not as easy as persons who've never done it make it out to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , seems that no one has heard of the 1.5jtze ?

this is something discussed on the UK forums a fair bit , the 2.5 TT has the best 'breathability ' of just about everything, and in real world use the 2500 TT is fasterthan the twin turbo supra with just a little care and attention, ie a decat and a BFI , but the 1.5 is a mix of the top off the 2500 , with the bottom of a 3L , in the UK this conversion costs a lot , but where you know some GOOD mechanics anything is possible,

the most efficient use fo fueling , ie the best bang for the buck is such that a totally stock TT except for a boost controller and guage , with stock ceramic turbos running 1bar , can pull a sub 14 sec quartermile , which is nice

if you then change the stock tubs for hybrids, (steel wheels in the turbo ) you suffer more lag but the boost can be turned up to 1.5 bar apparently ( not got round to it yet on mine , still stock :( )but that efficincy of 'breathing ' added to a three litre engine is more efficicent than the big supras, until you get into st00pid price modifications

the TT Twin tubs run together, the supra twins run in series, which means huge power output , but not necessarily where you need it off the track

but if you stick a TT Head , on a 3L jze , you will love the result, at least thats what i'm told about that particular mod :D . ceramics spool up so fast it's almost lag free, a perfect match to the standard TT auto box

the base TT engine internals are apparently good for 600 horses, and the TT gearbox for 400 without any modifications, if you need more than that , then i'd hate to have to pay for your tyres :cheers:

• 3 months later...
Hi , seems that no one has heard of the 1.5jtze ?

this is something discussed on the UK forums a fair bit , the 2.5 TT has the best 'breathability ' of just about everything, and in real world use the 2500 TT is fasterthan the twin turbo supra with just a little care and attention, ie a decat and a BFI , but the 1.5 is a mix of the top off the 2500 , with the bottom of a 3L , in the UK this conversion costs a lot , but where you know some GOOD mechanics anything is possible,

the most efficient use fo fueling , ie the best bang for the buck is such that a totally stock TT except for a boost controller and guage , with stock ceramic turbos running 1bar , can pull a sub 14 sec quartermile , which is nice

if you then change the stock tubs for hybrids, (steel wheels in the turbo ) you suffer more lag but the boost can be turned up to 1.5 bar apparently ( not got round to it yet on mine , still stock  :( )but that efficincy of 'breathing ' added to a three litre engine is more efficicent than the big supras, until you get into st00pid price modifications

the TT Twin tubs run together, the supra twins run in series, which means huge power output , but not necessarily where you need it off the track

but if you stick a TT Head , on a 3L jze , you will love the result, at least thats what i'm told about that particular mod  :D . ceramics spool up so fast it's almost lag free, a perfect match to the standard TT auto box

the base TT engine internals are apparently good for 600 horses, and the TT gearbox for 400 without any modifications, if you need more than that , then i'd hate to have to pay for your tyres  :cheers:

Do you have any first experince with the 2J and what you're referring to? Because if you don't I'm doubtful you have a full understanding of what you're talking about. It seems like you're spreading some misinformation. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :chairshot:

Certainly i wouldn't want to mislead anyone , but in the uk they have run side by side tests with stock tt's and supras, the main thing about the supra is sheer power, which the stockk tt i admit hasn't got tons of, but it's probably the most efficient top , and roll on tests shows that the tt will keep up with , and depending on speed you're travelling at even beat the supra , but thats on british roads, (which to be totally honest are rubbish )

the austrailian clubs have shedloads of stuff, too , possibly the best source of info anyone can get, but if you really want sheer power , and aren't too bothered with fuel consumption ,not a lot's gonna beat a supra

and yes i'd like a supra as well as my tt, but if you got a massive budget do what you will , they're all good cars

but i'm still trying to find the bit that could be called misleading?

bear in mind that the 1.5 is an expensive mod , hence the part about good mechanics , and of course the electronic stuff that goes with it

a more efficient head with the 3 litre bottom and twin turbo's is not a good thing?