Is It Worth Keeping The Car

zen999

hello guys, recently i post a topic about p/steering being stiff. i had just bought this car 91 ls400 with the following problem. p/s leaking, a/c losing freon per previous owner. my mechanic/ friend just chnaged the timing belt, spark plugs, serpentine belt, p\s pump (leaking). just got back the car, power steering stiff, ac leaking around the compressorand minor problem like blacked out lcd. with your advice guys. i had my mechanic checked the p/s level. and turns out to be ok with dex111 (red fluid). he bleed the system. and p/s still stiif. he suggested could be rack and pinion unit. here is the issue. i have heard about good comments about this car. but the repairs starts to scare me. i bought the car with 100,000 miles for $3000 for a frugal reason... intending to give my saturn to my oldest kid. for all these issues. i am afraid it will turn out to be a money pit. with all the repair cost considered. compressor $1200 (parts and labor) rack and pinion ($400) lcd ( $400). with all these considered. i seriously thinking that i will probably just sell it. here is the question. do you think it is worth to keep the car and will try to minimize my expense by finding a local mechanic that knows this specific car. all advise will be greatly appreciated. by the way i live in arizona just in case if you guys know a local mechanic. i dreaded to go to the dealership. thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Zen- I have a similar dilemma, but I have decided to sell my car. I paid $4000 for in last September when it had 224K miles. It still does not even use one drop of oil between the 3000 miles changes- which I think is impressive for a 233K mile car. Even though the engine still runs extremely smooth (like new actually) and the transmission is flawless, it needs other things that may run into big repair costs. My A/C evaporator is also out ($1300), LCD has just recently (but quickly), turned dark, unless the cars interior is above 80 degrees, clunking front suspension (bushings), radio going on the blink (interior has to be about 80+ degrees before it will work- gradually requiring higher temperatures in order to work- which is bad, because winter is coming), and front brake rotors have decided to start shuddering, even though the brake pads are still like new. I figure I will have $6000-$7000 invested in this car if I repair these items- really not worth it to me, because I keep thinking- what if I spend all of this money repairing these items- whats next? <_< I just cannot see putting more and more money in repairs in this car. I was warned by my uncle before I bought this car however about the high parts costs, because my aunt has a 90' LS400 as well. Starter replacement can cost $1000+, alternator and water pump replacements can also be expensive, but luckily, I have not had these problems. Also, luckily, my power steering is still good and not leaking (yet). :rolleyes: There is however most recently, a slight "vibration" that I can feel through the steering wheel when I make a sharp right turn at low speeds, such as a parking space (see other topic). As mentioned, I paid $4000+ tax (around $4300 total) for my car and I have put about 10000 miles on it. I also paid $200 for new rear struts (including installation). I have advertised for $3500 and told someone I would take $3400 for it. I am going to put it in the local paper for $3700 and see what happens. If not, I will slowly come down toward the $3000 mark until it sells. I feel it is worth $3400, because even a 92-93 Camry or Accord will cost that much in many cases and this LS400 is still a great car. The problems with mine are mainly just annoyances, rather than something that needs immediete repairs. If I sell for $3400, I wil be losing about $1100 on it. I have learned not to buy another high mile car, that has high parts costs. Camry/Accord are OK, because they will last as long, (if properly maintained) but most parts are much cheaper.

Good luck.

Keeping an older car means upkeep expenses and problems. If you are your own mechanic and enjoy doing the work, and have an emergency vehicle available, then keeping an older car is probably your bag and less expensive in the long run. My son has kept an older (83) Mercedes diesel running for over 500k, but he does everything including major engine, transmission, suspension, interior, etc. and enjoys it, but he does have an extra vehicle. On the other hand, if you are like my wife, and you want reliable transportation with absolutely no hassle, and your emotional attachment ends the first time you are stranded in a shopping center; replace it with a new or low milage used vehicle.

I also recently purchased a 1994 GS300 with 187000. I knew the car was in need of repair. Currently I have over 16000.00 invested in the vehicle and no where near where I want it to be. Like HRP stated if you have an emergency vehicle then it's worth keeping and slowly have the work done when finances are available. My reason for pumping so much money into such a old vehicle is simple. I LOVE MY LEX. It is an awesome vehicle . Surpassing comfort, design and style found in many newer vehicles. Its is a labor of Love. Call me crazy or fanatic but my intention is to restore this car to showroom condition and beyond. It takes time, money and most of all desire. Did I mention Money...........

I have similar concerns with my '94LS. Yet it runs perfectlywith 105K miles. Since I'm only a partial handy guy, I have replaced all the easy things-rotors, pads, bulbs, drive belt, battery, filters, etc. But I live in fear of the big repair, which will be soon, I'm sure. For example, the P/S fluid slowly declines, and the pump is surely waiting to fail. If it's dripping on the alternator, the repair cost will be astounding.

One other concern I have is that independents, as well as dealers, assume that a Lexus owner has deep pockets. If you search for my post under A/C a while back, you'll see how I was nearly fleeced out of $1,200 for replacement of an evaporator and associated parts. Basically, I had had a small plastic part fall off a control valve, and the repair was to reinstall it. I ended up paying $200 for nothing, but better than $1.200. The A/C worked perfectly all summer long!

I am looking for a small backup car, too. When the Lexus implodes, I'll register the other car, and think about the repair of the Lexus. If it's excessively expensive, which will most surely be the case, I'll probably give it to charity. Live and learn. Best of luck.

hello guys, and thank you for all the advise. i am seriuosly thinking of finding someone to help me at least fix these major repair. i am not a diy person so by reading the forums i did learn a lot of informative suggestions. Meanwhile i have always known that this car last for at least 200k. the car is immaculate. and of course if i get these issues fix i know for sure what has been done on the car. If for any reason that i could not find a reliable mechanic that could at least help me minimize the repair costs. i will probably just sell it. blue book value says $6000 private party. that is with these repairs noted, still has this price assocaited with it. but this is not final yet. I am driving my saturn ls to work so the car can just sits in the garage until i can find a good samaritan to help and decide from there! so here is the question guys, that kelley blue book value deem reliable? or do i need to adhere to the price noted and sell the car "AS IS". this is just 1 scenario. i guess the dilemna will continue..... thank you guys for all the info greatly appreciate it. :o

. i am seriuosly thinking of finding someone to help me at least fix these major repair. i am not a diy person so by reading the forums i did learn a lot of informative suggestions.

Look around. No one wants anything to do with a redneck until their car breaks down. My sons (all 3 or them) really enjoy helping out with problems like this. These are some of the guys who ride around in a 4x4 on Christmas eve or in bad weather looking for someone to "save". And all 3 of my sons, aged from 43 down to 27 are excellent mechanics; and none of them do this as a living. One handles the leasing of equipment for major construction, one is a national sales rep for medical technology, and the third is working in a recycle bicycles program in Providence. There are scads of folks out there interested in giving you a hand, and many know what they are doing and do it for the satisfaction of keeping a mechanical monster running. As well aas teaching you haw to handle problems. It's almost like a religion. They'll help you and expect you to pass along the obligation to someone else when you help them out. Most of the time it really works.

I recently had a problem with my AC, also and bought a rebuilt AC compressor over Ebay. I found a guru AC mechanic and he knew the problem--a leaking O-ring in the compressor. He replaced it and it has been perfect since. As I have looked at it, if I spend $300 a month on a car that I own and is better than 99% of the other cars, it is cheap! However, it is your money. To save money, find an honest car guy, buy a Chilton's and help him fix your car. That's what I've been doing and it's fun and a lot less costly than going to a Lexus dealer. E.g., I have had my alternator rebuilt twice for about $145 each time--about 90,000 miles per rebuild. Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Start by first making a list of what needs to be fixed.

Follow that with a list of the things you can fix yourself or with little help, then determine the cost of these various repairs -- then ask yourself if it is worth it. The answer to that is already within you.

Once you have made a decision -- go for it.

This is what I did with my 91 when I got it a couple years ago. Today, all the things that I can fix are fixed and I am nearing the mechanic-only-can-fix-it stuff. Has it been worth it?

Heck yeah!

No one outside of my household knows the car needs work, and so I still get that lustful steer every now and then and that alone makes it worthwhile for me most of the times.

keep us informed and the best to you :-D

I agree with the advice of finding a good, reliable mechanic. Ask around and you will find one. Fortunately I can handle most of the repairs myself, but I do have a mechanic for the time consuming and special tool jobs. He doesn't mind when I get the parts myself. If you shop e-bay, Auto zone and Pace in Tampa you will save a bunch. For example the compressor $340, evaporator and drier as quoted by Pace, the price is $199.99 plus shipping for the evaporator. You should

also replace the receiver/drier when replacing any A/C component. The price of the receiver/drier is $32.00 plus shipping. The total price for everything should

be roughly be $250.00 that includes shipping.

Pace Compressors

Tampa, FL

813 888-7991

I paid $149 for the power steering pump from auto-zone. So you see the big numbers are not there unless you rely on Lexus service then, Selling it would be your only alternative.

Good Luck to you

hi guys, it is me again..... firsthand i would to extend all thnks to all of you..... i am still in the process of finding decent help for my car issues. any way the good news is a guy at work had help me find a leak in the sytem. He said that a problem is evident of compressor shaft seal leak. a very common problem for a/c system. He advise on taking it to a/c shop for repair. this option is a lot cheaper than buying a new one. the a/c system works before so he siad the leak is not on the line itself. besides we had seen some evidence of leak in the front of the compressor. my other co worker will help me bleed the lines for the power steering sytem this weekend so we will see. I have noticed also that the power steering is ok on freeway speed but hard to steer on turning corners and parking anyway. i will still have to bribe my co-worker to help me at least with power steering. so i guess the waiting is still to come. thank god i have other car. with this shaft seal leak. is there a better way to tackle this issue? and what will be the sign of hard steering on idling speed? thank you for all the good advice. :rolleyes:

Personally Id keep the car. With any used car purchase you would have to expect something to go wrong with it sooner or later. If you fix her up at least youll know what areas have been covered. Just my opinion.

My thoughts exactly! I was considering dumping my LS for a newer one with lower miles, but then, I realized that this new hypothetical LS will need(sooner or later. LS's have terribly consistant build quality which is why they all have the same problems...IMO atleast) its timing belt changed, hood supports, antenna mast, lca and uca replacment, brakes and a stereo lcd. I bought my car for $6500, and I've already put atleast $2k into my car. The last major thing is the clunk front suspension(I can't decide if I want to replace the entire arms-upper and lower-or take a chance with the ride quality with Daziens polyurathane bushings comming out in Sept. or Oct.), and she needs to be repainted in the near future, but the $2800 price tag scares me. My repairs will probably excede what I paid for the car pretty soon, but I'm condifent that I'll get my money back when I see that the odo says 350k-400k miles!! B)

BTW, the climate control display should be waaaay under $400. I paid Mikado $150(for the part and labor. Shipping methods--prices vary per your request) for the stereo LCD in my '95.

:cheers:

Then you drive it. Ahhhhh. I know exactly what you mean about trying to fix everything or get rid of it. Since my wife has the car now, she won't let it go. Iquote my wife "I love my car!" yeah great for me huh. Well, I have two cars and a truck so I can't be greedy. Oh and a motorcycle.

I hadn't driven it for a while and when I did (throught Mahatten) it was so sweet. I guess I could sell it, buy something new and make car payments, but ya know...

I totally agree with HRP. Nobody places any value on people who actually know stuff until they need it. I must have helped hundreds of people over the years. You just have to know it's the right thing to do because you sure are not going to get many accolades for doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 91 LS 400...even though th a/c 's in need of repair, power stering is starting to leak, subwoofer's spent and the stock cd remote's a "POS" (pardon the pos remark), she's clocked in over 178,000 and STILL she runs and ride like a cloud. Not bad for a $1500.00, 13 Yr. old, LUXURY Toyota product.

Speaking of Toyota product...Some of those parts you say you need are availablr from Toyota dealers too... If you've got the part number, order it through a Toyota dealer and it might be cheeper... :) (Sound like she's worth keeping now?)

Wow- you only paid $1500 for your LS? I paid WAY too much for mine I think. $4000 + tax about a year ago, when it had 224K. Now it has 234K and I have it advertised for $3300 and cannot even sell it. It will be reduced in Thursdays paper for $3200, but I bet I will still not sell it. People are "afraid" of the miles. If someone offered $3000, I would take it. I hate to even sell it for $3300, because it is still a great car, and I will be losing a lot of money (to me anyway), but no longer the car for me. Not practical for me to keep it. By the time I fix the LCD, radio, front suspension (clunking), noisy front brakes (for some odd reason), I would have thousands invested in a 14 year old car with 234K miles. Someone else (not as picky as me), could buy it for $3000 and run it until it hits the ground. I think this engine/transmission would last another 200K EASY- if properly cared for and not abused.