95 Ls Trade-in $7300

Lexus.

I'm trading in my 95 LS400 towards a Kia Sorento 4 X 4, the dealer offered me $7300. Do you guys think that's a fair deal?

They told me the fact that the car was repainted on the front end and has 100K+ miles is whats bringing down the price. They are selling the Kia way below invoice at $21500, and the Lexus will be wholesaled to a Lexus dealer.

Kelly book said $7400 trade in.

I'm staying a Lexus fan, going to buy a GS430 later, the Kia is for Colorado winters.

:lol: Hey what's wrong with a KIA? Of course it aint no RX330 but man,

192 hp V6, 4X4, AC,CD, power windows, locks, heated mirrors, roof rack, alloy wheels, tons of storage, muscular body for $21500 is a deal!!!

I don't know about the rx330's.........

but I did test drive a 2000 rx300 and was unimpressed......actually thought it's a pretty shoddy SUV......the rx330 needs to be much better ;)

That Kia could be okay........is it a Soreno or something??

Never trade in a good car. Sell it privately. Even Ebay should bring a little more than that. 95 is the newer body style and desireable.

A kia? Sorry..couldn't help it. Would not trade my Lexus for 40 Kia's.

Remember the motto dealers live by "Never leave a dollar on the table."

:cries: Wish I lived near you - I would buy the Lexus and let you suffer with your KIA? Don't let the dealer "put you away" I am a car broker here in California and sure don't see you getting less than $9,000 as per my coleagues above have told you. Hold the Line! they want to get rid of KIA's more than you want to buy....so stay KOOL!

PS: Tell me more about your Kia and let me see if I can do anything better for you. check out my website: www.ronsadvice.com then e-mail me if you wish. I would be happy to "take a stab" at for my fellow Lexus fan!

Sincerely and best wishes

Ron Johnson

ron@ronsadvice.com :cheers:

:angry: I already traded in the car for $7300, effectively $8000 with tax credit. Didn't try the newspaper ads because I have no time. Should've at least tried ebay...but I think the price was fair as a trade-in (which is always a ripoff)

The trade-in on my Lexus is a lousy $2100 @ KBB and an even "lousier" (is that even a word? :lol: ) $1751 @ Edmunds. <_< . KBB private party is still $3800, but Edmunds is showing $2700, but $4200 dealer retail, but the KBB retail was showing $9000, but it does not register that is has 233K. High mileage really eats away at the book value- even if it is a Lexus.

I would say you could have at least got $8000 for it, if it was in good order.

The Kia's are not bad cars from what I have been able to gather. Not many cars have the 100K mile warranty (save for Hyundai, which is the same car as the Kia). My cousin sells new Hyundai's and he said they are really good cars, especially the Sonata and XG350. The new Sorentos are nice, they look like a much more expensive SUV, especially in the front.

Like the old saying goes- "first impression, lasting impression"- when most people hear "KIA" they think of the early Kia Sephias. I do not even think they were that bad, because an old friend has one that she bought brand new in 1995 and she still has it and it is in perfect working order and still looks like new, but so does her old 1993 Cavalier- which she also bought brand new, but she takes extremely well care of her cars. These cars may have not lasted most people this long- who knows. :unsure: :D

A Lexus should last her at least 2 million miles? ;)

Enjoy your brand new car!

Kia after lexus??? you gonna suffer man. i cant really drive anything else after lexus. and if i have to drive another car i still think of my lex in the garage.:)

why KIA? why not at least honda CRV?

we're just being mean LOL.

Yeah I know!...telling the LOC that you trade Lexus's flagship for a Kia is asking for it though! j/k :lol: :P I could never trade a very nice LS400 like Lexus. especially in rare silver form had for a Kia. Never!! Refinement and quality are tops on car characteristics for me, so I'm sticking with Lexus. But, he is covered for 100k miles which is a nice thought!

Lexus., how many miles did your car have? I've never driven in snow; is the LS that bad in it?

:cheers:

we're just being mean LOL.

Yeah I know!...telling the LOC that you trade Lexus's flagship for a Kia is asking for it though! j/k :lol: :P I could never trade a very nice LS400 like Lexus. especially in rare silver form had for a Kia. Never!! Refinement and quality are tops on car characteristics for me, so I'm sticking with Lexus. But, he is covered for 100k miles which is a nice thought!

Lexus., how many miles did your car have? I've never driven in snow; is the LS that bad in it?

Yes, I agree- that is definitely a unusual statement- trading a Lexus for a Kia. :)

Blake- I know you were asking Lexus., but I will ring in on the snow Lexus experience.

We do not get much snow here in northeast Tennessee, only about 15 inches per year on average- which is nothing compared to what they get in most of the northeast and we are in the "snowiest" part of the state (aside from the higher elevations), because we are about 1500 feet above sea level here and we are in the northernmost part of the state- southwest Tennessee- is low and flat and rarely receives any measurable snow. Also- our small snows rarely stay on the ground for more that a couple of days, because it warms up here fast.

Anyway- we did have one afternoon snow and I got caught out in it driving my LS. What a trip, I was slipping and sliding everywhere and I have the "A" traction tires on my car. The stopping was as bad. The car wanting to keep going and the ABS was constantly activating and not offering any help at all. It was more like ice, but it was not. I have driven my old 94' Lumina and 92 Park Avenue (both FWD) and both obviously pulled out better, but they also stopped much better when I would have the rare occasion to drive in the snow. I am not sure about other LS400s, but my LS will not go or stop. It is even about like that in the rain- ABS easily activates. After I was caught in that snow- I kept the Lexus parked if snow was in the forecast and I would drive my Buick. Now the Buick is gone and all I have is this Lexus and the 89 Pontiac- which is also RWD.

Blake- I know you were asking Lexus., but I will ring in on the snow Lexus experience.

Oh no, I know I directed it towards Lexus., but your's and anyone else's feedback is welcome!! ;) Does your car have traction control?? Yall are 1500ft above sea level!...I'm 15 feet under sea level! :lol:

The LS is extremely poor in the snow if not equipped with snow tires. If anything the VSC and traction systems get in the way so on the occasions I drove my father's old 98 in the snow I would shut it off. Its just not a good snow vehicle, heavy, RWD, and considerable power. I've not driven his new 04 in the snow but he says its even worse.

Does your car have traction control?? Yall are 1500ft above sea level!...I'm 15 feet under sea level! :lol:

No, my car lacks the traction control option. <_< Yes, we are about 1500 feet in elevation, but only about 5 miles to our east, there is a mountain that is about 3000 feet above sea level. The next city to our west (20 miles away) is about 1100 ft, so it varies drastically in the region, but that is how it is here in the southern Appalachains (Eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, southeastern Kentucky, southwestern Virginia, northern Georgia, northeastern Alabama and northwestern South Carolina). Highest point is Mt. Mitchell, NC- with an elevation of 6684 feet above sea level, which is the highest point east of the Mississippi.

Luckily, we are far enough south to escape prolonged snow cover, unlike the northeast. Some winters we are lucky to get 4-6 inches of snow per season.

The lexus had 111K miles, I don't think the t-belt was ever changed. The body was good except few minor scratches and couple very small dents that could be seen under the sun. It did look like one of the fender was repainted. Interior was in good shape, except for some scratches on the dash and Nak stereo with right chan going out sometimes. The brakes squealed, but no other problems.

I dont't think the dealer ripped me off - They did the best they can, they just wholesaled it to an auctioneer. They are not selling it at their lot.

The lexus was horrible in snow until I put on Michelin Artic Alpin, than it turned in to a snow mobile. I was racing SUVs during snow storm. But I like to go off roading hence buying Kia SUV