$18 Starter Fix '97es300

My 97 ES300 would start great most of the time, but a few times there would be a "click". The problem is these cases is usually the STARTER MOTOR. The dealer in my area wanted almost $500 to fix. A private shop wanted almost $350.

I did a little research and found out that the copper contacts inside the starter motor just need to be replaced. So.....I took out the starter motor (very easy if you can walk and chew gum at the same time) purchased the replacement parts ($12 and $6 for a total of $18) and carefully replaced them inside the starter.

I carefully put the starter back into the car and THE CAR RUNS GREAT!

TOTAL TIME: LESS THAN 1 1/2 HOURS!!!!!

If anyone wants info, pics, or what the part numbers are, contact me.

• Like 1

I have been told that all Toyota/Lexus starter motors are the same or very similar. The repair would be the same for all. Also, the parts for a ES300 are the SAME as a Camry, RAV4, 4Runner, you get the idea....they are all alike.

GROSSEN, your starter is the same. I suggest you follow the POS lead from the battery (there are usually 2) to the starter motor if you do not know where it would be located. One thick lead must attach to the starter, and it is usually not that long of a lead. (MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU DO THIS).

As far as part numbers go...go to your local TOYOTA dealer and get part 28226-72010. This should cost about $12. THIS IS ONLY ONE SIDE. YOU NEED BOTH, HOWEVER THE OTHER TERMAL SIDE HAS A DIFFERENT PART NUMBER. MAKE SURE YOU GET BOTH. THE OTHER SIDE IS ABOUT $6. I AM SORRY BUT I DON'T HAVE THAT SECOND NUMBER AT THIS TIME).

As you can see from the pics, you only have to remove three small screws to gain access to the copper contacts. Replace and reinstall and you are on you way! Make sure you use some sandpaper on sand down the seat side of the plunger inside. The plunger makes contact with the copper contacts. You will see once you have it apart.

DO NOT BE AFRAID....THIS IS A VERY EASY JOB!!!!!!

I would post more pics if I could figure out how....sorry!

Be advised, most dealers do not stock both of these, so order ahead.:cheers:

post-14-1096227391.jpg

• 1 year later...

My 97 ES300 would start great most of the time, but a few times there would be a "click". The problem is these cases is usually the STARTER MOTOR. The dealer in my area wanted almost $500 to fix. A private shop wanted almost $350.

I did a little research and found out that the copper contacts inside the starter motor just need to be replaced. So.....I took out the starter motor (very easy if you can walk and chew gum at the same time) purchased the replacement parts ($12 and $6 for a total of $18) and carefully replaced them inside the starter.

:D

Hey Rush I know that this is an old post but could you send me the pics and part #'s for those copper contacts

• 2 months later...

guys check out these 2 links.and descriptions below...Is there truly this much variance in parts sizes etc...94 96 97 4 door v6 have different kits and then the 2 door version suppossedly has different kit about 7 or 8 diff options from 94-2000 between camry 2 door and 4 door and v6 i-4 ....

http://www.prostreetonline.com/catalog/toy...rtercontactset/

http://www.prostreetonline.com/catalog/lex...rtercontactset/

even 96 vs 94 have a different price and part no. and 20-30 cents variance in price whats the basis?

OEM Starter Contact Set For engine/ground $15.65

Part # F5040-168877 | 29 In Stock

1996 Lexus ES 300 V6 Starter Contact Set For engine/ground

Need Help? Live Chat | FREE SHIPPING on orders over $75!

ND Gear Reduction Starters; for engine/ground AFT kit only includes the 2 contact pieces OES kit contains 2 contacts plus all additional pieces needed when changing contacts The "shorter" of these 2 pieces will work on many Japanese applications w/ gear reduction starters. Some only sold as complete kits: eg. 28226-72010 (motor terminal) amd 28226-72080 (battery terminal).

Starter Contact Set FREE Shipping over $75! $15.35

Part # F5040-168877 | In Stock

1994 Lexus ES 300 V6 Starter Contact Set

ES300 Starter Contact Set For engine/ground ND Gear Reduction Starters; for engine/ground AFT kit only includes the 2 contact pieces OES kit contains 2 contacts plus all additional pieces needed when changing contacts The

• 1 year later...

:D

Hey Rush I know that this is an old post but could you send me the pics and part #'s for those copper contacts

• 1 year later...

it would be great if you can email your starter motor repair pics and notes.

to lazlolaz@gmail.com

thanks for your help

chris laz

• 3 months later...

hey, i am having the same problem. what part did you purchase? part number?

hey, i am having the same problem. what part did you purchase? part number?

Although it is for an earlier Toyota vehicle there is a very nice tutorial, including photos, on replacing the starter contacts, including the missing part number, at http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/1...er-rebuild.html

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Thanks for posting the starter fix.

I have same problem with my 96 ES300 and hate to throw away $500 when there is easier fix.

Kindly send me the pics, part #...etc.

Thank you very much

Simon