Lexus 2004 Dvd Navigation Update

stuartr

It should work fine on all years with the DVD nav. Its very easy to change, simply access the drive door by pulling off the cover in the trunk and eject the old disc.

I apparently ordered the update just as they were posting it to their site. Right after I ordered it the price went up to 288.00 (which was the price of the previous version).

As far as changing the disc goes, I noticed that on the 04 LS, the NAV DVD player is under a cover on the right side of the trunk. It appears you have to remove two screws that hold the unit in place so you can raise it enough so the DVD tray will clear the edge of the compartment when it ejects. Anyone else perform this apparently simple operation on an 04 yet?

• 3 weeks later...
It should work fine on all years with the DVD nav. Its very easy to change, simply access the drive door by pulling off the cover in the trunk and eject the old disc.

Previous updates had seperate versions for '01 and the rest. Are you sure this isn't true for this one? That would surprise me, considering they are apparently different CPUs?

Direct link to LEXUS 2004 DVD-Based Navigation System Update DATA 2004 ver.1

The retail price is supposed to be $350, so $288 isn't so bad.

Direct link to list of changes

P.S.  My attempt to order online failed, so I ordered the part from Sewell Lexus by calling 214-352-8100 and asking for Darryl in parts.

Mine just arrived today so I'll install tonight and report the results.

Direct link to LEXUS 2004 DVD-Based Navigation System Update DATA 2004 ver.1

Direct link to list of changes

P.S.  My attempt to order online failed, so I ordered the part from Sewell Lexus by calling 214-352-8100 and asking for Darryl in parts.

Mine just arrived today so I'll install tonight and report the results.

Well .. bad news... the new DVD update couldn't be read by the system. The original one worked (and continues to work) just fine. I seem to remember someone on this forum talking about a bad batch of these DVDs. Guess I'll get another one and if it doesn't read, I'll have to let the dealer worry about it ($$$).

Previous updates had seperate versions for '01 and the rest.  Are you sure this isn't true for this one?  That would surprise me, considering they are apparently different CPUs?

Previous versions of the system were hard drive based, not DVD. The two new systems are almost identical in every way, its just a different manufacturer. The discs are just data and I would think they would work.

What year is yours Stuart? Maybe I'm wrong... I'll call my dealer and ask.

The retail price of $350 includes dealer install. The DVD itself from the dealer in Concord Ca. is $260. So, it seems $288 is not the best deal. :whistles:

Oh yeah its a 2 minute job, just as easy as changing the DVD in a DVD player. The dealer is totally hosing people. I didn't let them do it, but thats what they charge. Thats what Lexus allows them to charge.

Previous updates had seperate versions for '01 and the rest.  Are you sure this isn't true for this one?  That would surprise me, considering they are apparently different CPUs?

Previous versions of the system were hard drive based, not DVD. The two new systems are almost identical in every way, its just a different manufacturer. The discs are just data and I would think they would work.

What year is yours Stuart? Maybe I'm wrong... I'll call my dealer and ask.

I've got a 2004 LS430. It came with V3.1 and I tried to install 4.1. The dealer that sold me the DVD said he'd sent out 40 copies this week and would let me know if others had the same problem.

In regards to one of the previous versions being bad, someone on this site said they worked for a dealership and got a bad batch of the 3.1 DVD's a while back (as I remember).

I agree they should just "work". I was able to read both the 3.1 and 4.1 DVD on my Windows XP PC (they each contain over 7 GB of data) but there may be a DVD calibration issue with the DVD player in the LS.

I apparently ordered the update just as they were posting it to their site. Right after I ordered it the price went up to 288.00 (which was the price of the previous version).

As far as changing the disc goes, I noticed that on the 04 LS, the NAV DVD player is under a cover on the right side of the trunk. It appears you have to remove two screws that hold the unit in place so you can raise it enough so the DVD tray will clear the edge of the compartment when it ejects. Anyone else perform this apparently simple operation on an 04 yet?

Do you know if the navigation system can read a copied DVD-R or DVD+R disk? If it can, I would like to buy a copy version from you, assuming you have a dvd copier. Mine is 01 LS430. :-).

Thanks.

Do you know if the navigation system can read a copied DVD-R or DVD+R disk? If it can, I would like to buy a copy version from you, assuming you have a dvd copier. Mine is 01 LS430. :-).

Thanks.

The DVD's are dual-layered and contain almost 8 GB of data. It would take a very expensive (and relatively new) DVD copier just to make a copy. And this is assuming they are not copy-protected. It wouldn't be legal, either.

Thanks.

The DVD's are dual-layered and contain almost 8 GB of data. It would take a very expensive (and relatively new) DVD copier just to make a copy. And this is assuming they are not copy-protected. It wouldn't be legal, either.

Got it. If you've bought 04 DVD, do you want to sell your 03 DVD? I'm interested. Thanks.

Thanks.

Got it. If you've bought 04 DVD, do you want to sell your 03 DVD? I'm interested. Thanks.

I'm sure I'll sell the 03 DVD if I ever get the 04 one to load! They've sent me a second copy and I'll try again tonight or tomorrow to install it. I have a sinking feeling that my nav DVD reader has a calibration skew issue which will require dealer intervention. Oh well - it's under warranty :(

Thanks.

I'm sure I'll sell the 03 DVD if I ever get the 04 one to load! They've sent me a second copy and I'll try again tonight or tomorrow to install it. I have a sinking feeling that my nav DVD reader has a calibration skew issue which will require dealer intervention. Oh well - it's under warranty :(

Just tried a second 4.1 DVD and the nav system couldn't read it either. I'm now assuming that the DVD's are bad. I can put the 3.1 DVD back in and it reads it just fine. Anyone else try it?

Weird. This has me wondering if there are two sets of DVDs, one for previous models (01-03) and one for the new updated nav system (04+). If thats the case then you may have the wrong update disk and thats why it won't read.