New Car/no Stereo

FifthCity

I just got a 92 SC400 for my birthday a few weeks ago for 6,000. It has 141,000 miles on it. Decent to me because my 2000 Honda Accord has 146,000 miles on it. The SC has some real basic problems:

1. Passenger door handle broke. (OK may cost 70 bucks to replace)

2. Leather seats in the rear have split due to the son. (I put a tent on it as soon as I got the tittle, plus I"m going to get Katzkin leater put into it, $995 cash installed with leather of course)

3. Water in the driver side headlight. (Great advise from this club about fixing that... 220 degrees in oven no longer than 7 minutes and use Grit wetsanding... hay I can even get some bulbs for about 24 dollars to make beter)

4. Low coolent light comes on. (I still don't know what this is because it's full of coolent and the car does not over heat or leak... I think and hope it a sensor problem)

5. Amp blown! Now this hurts the most because now the car sits in the garage becasue it's not fun to drive this great car and do the beat box. (told it should cost 750 to 1000 to place a new system in it) Whoa!

Is there a way to use an after market amp to get the system working plus add some more speakers... you know sub and such? I'm just trying not to get jerked out of that money if the amp can be changed out. Plus I don't want to change the look of the stereo that is already in the car. I searched almost every question in this club going back to 92. Wow there are alot of conversations but none that I could find to answer this question.

Please help if you have an answer for this new member and proud owner of the silent Lex. :P

5th

• 3 weeks later...

If the amp was blown, wouldnt all speakers fail? 3 out of the 4 main speakers in my 93sc4 went out recently and I am going to try and find the problem this weekend. My tweaters and sub are still running. Hope it is the speakers.

• 3 weeks later...
If the amp was blown, wouldnt all speakers fail?  3 out of the 4 main speakers in my 93sc4 went out recently and I am going to try and find the problem this weekend.  My tweaters and sub are still running.  Hope it is the speakers.

i replaced my nak head because i wanted a cd changer and didn't need a cassette player. my old one works - at least it did when i had it removed. the rear amp had gone and the rear speakers were shot, too. i wound up getting a new head, rear amp and speakers.

i'll send you the nak head - if it works we can talk about a price. i have no use for it so i'm not going to be greedy about it.

Sorry for not responding to RPMAC and Joedoc. Somebody ran into my car a few days after I posted my question. I had just rimmed it up and put a new system in it during the weekend and then on the Sept. 20th I guess this dude was caught like a doe in headlights and decides to t-bone me leaving me with $7,200 worth of damage and some back problems. It should be up and running at the end of this week. :D

Is the 10" in the back an actual subwoofer or only a woofer? And what kind of connections does it hook up to, straight wires or a harness configuration? All the other speakers are good but that one is blown and I am going to replace it, am I able to replace it with an aftermarket 10" sub or is there more to it then that? I took off the lining in the trunk to check it out and I saw no wires running to any of the speakers at all, they must be up inside. Am I able to get to it by taking out the back seat?

Is the 10" in the back an actual subwoofer or only a woofer? And what kind of connections does it hook up to, straight wires or a harness configuration? All the other speakers are good but that one is blown and I am going to replace it, am I able to replace it with an aftermarket 10" sub or is there more to it then that? I took off the lining in the trunk to check it out and I saw no wires running to any of the speakers at all, they must be up inside. Am I able to get to it by taking out the back seat?

It is an actual subwoofer. I'm not sure what kind of connections it took to hook it up since I paid somebody to do it. I'm not sure about the aftermarket question, but there is conversations in the past about what kind of subwoofer to put in it. I think if you put an aftermarket in you may have to change the system. Oh yeah... when they put the system in my car they did pull out the back seat. I looked on http://intellexual.net/faq.html which is the Bible of SC400 to me and could not find your answers. Just keep checking previous conversations if nobody answers this question.

I shouldn't even post without doing some research, but if I remember correctly a Rockford Fosgate 10" fits perfectly in the stock place, or someone said. Maybe it was a 12". <shrugs> Just use the search and I know you'll find the topic.

Really sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully when you get your car back it will be back to it's old (without the problems of course) self, and you can start to enjoy the car.

:cheers: -- Just not while driving. heh

If the amp was blown, wouldnt all speakers fail?  3 out of the 4 main speakers in my 93sc4 went out recently and I am going to try and find the problem this weekend.  My tweaters and sub are still running.  Hope it is the speakers.

i replaced my nak head because i wanted a cd changer and didn't need a cassette player. my old one works - at least it did when i had it removed. the rear amp had gone and the rear speakers were shot, too. i wound up getting a new head, rear amp and speakers.

You mentioned the rear amp. Does that mean there is more than one amp in the car? One for the back and maybe one in the front? Just wonder if the one next to the changer is powering all speakers.

• 5 weeks later...
I shouldn't even post without doing some research, but if I remember correctly a Rockford Fosgate 10" fits perfectly in the stock place, or someone said.  Maybe it was a 12".  <shrugs>  Just use the search and I know you'll find the topic.

Really sorry to hear about your accident, hopefully when you get your car back it will be back to it's old (without the problems of course) self, and you can start to enjoy the car. 

:cheers:  --  Just not while driving.  heh

I got it back and its better than ever. The paint is fantastic all around the car now. It looks like new and rides like new.

5thCity

I have the same issue my rear speakers don't work except a slight noise coming from them. I pulled out the amp and you can see on one side where moisture had dripped on it and corrosion has started. I'm wondering if that is my problem. Also if you don't want the amp from the guy who has one I'll take it. Maybe it will solve my problem!!!!