$18 Starter Fix

Rush48

B) My 97 ES300 would start great most of the time, but a few times there would be a "click". The problem is these cases is usually the STARTER MOTOR. The dealer in my area wanted almost $500 to fix. A private shop wanted almost $350.

I did a little research and found out that the copper contacts inside the starter motor just need to be replaced. So.....I took out the starter motor (very easy if you can walk and chew gum at the same time) purchased the replacement parts ($12 and $6 for a total of $18) and carefully replaced them inside the starter.

I carefully put the starter back into the car and THE CAR RUNS GREAT!

TOTAL TIME: LESS THAN 1 1/2 HOURS!!!!!

If anyone wants info, pics, or what the part numbers are, contact me.

I had some trouble with the starter in my '95 last year. I noticed that the teeth were a little worn so I went ahead and bit the bullet and replaced the entire starter. I figured that would be the best thing since it was 8 years old and had never been replaced.

It was incredibly easy to do and only took about 2 hours (including the trip to the parts store to exchange the core on a new one).

• 3 weeks later...