Sc300 Vs Sc400 - Which Is Better Car?

Dean W

Yes, I am a newbie, and I have read the FAQ and used the search function and read several posts. I am looking to purchase my 1st SC and I was wondering if one model was better than another or there was a particular year to be wary of?

Is the SC400 a better car than the SC300 or just more powerful? Besides the engine, are there any other differences in the same year SC?

My daily commute is 130 miles. I'm not looking for a hotrod. Just a nice, reliable car. I restore motorcycles as my hobby, so I plan on performing most if not all of the maintenance myself. Based on my intended usuage, which car would be better? Is there much difference in the gas mileage? According to the ratings there isn't.

I have located a 93 SC400 with 93K miles on it. The owner has some service records. The timing belt, water pump, etc were replaced at 75K miles. Anything in particular that I should look for?

What other services should I look for that have been completed in a used SC?

Thanks in advance. Dean

if your not going to mod it then go with a 400. (thats if you want an auto) the 400 is more of a cruiser it has more bottom end torque which makes it easier to drive under normal conditions. and i dont really like the 300 auto trans. its kind of too shifty. take both out for a drive and see what you think ;)

I just love the more refined and silky feel of the SC400. Up until 98' the brakes on the SC400 were bigger. I might go for an SC300 if it were a stick shift. The 300 definately has more engine compartment room to easily add mods. I'd go with the SC400. I love mine as a road trip cruiser so for your application it seems great. And... at 150mph you can sure put a dent in that commute...lol :D

The differences that i know of let's say between a 92 sc300 and sc400, would be of course the engine, one being a 4.0 v8 250hp for the 400 and the 300 having a 3.0 v6 with 225 hp. I have a 400 and love it only downfall as you know is the limited performace upgrades compared to the 300. The 300 also comes with different wheels, and usually i think no spoiler. Umm i think that's about it, o yeah a lil different exhaust i forget what is diff about them. But yeah sometimes i kinda wished i had gotten a 300 5spd.

As for things to look for when buying a sc, some of the most common problems would be, blacked out needles and displays for your cc and radio, cracked dash vents, cracked window sill (our doors are heavy), worn bushings, cloudy headlights. Just obvious things worn leather etc. That should help a lil bit. But yeah just keep asking questions and reading around the forums and you will learn alot of stuff. Hope ya find a nice sc, it's a great car.

If you want an automatic transmission go with the SC400. Get a lexus dealer to go over the car as their inspection only costs approx $90. Get their service history and the car fax history. Watch out for a leaking power steering pump common at 80-100,000mi and the usual wear items----shocks ,brakes, tires, hoses etc. Since the AC is the old freon type (pre 1994) check to make sure it doesn't have leaks as it can be expensive to change to R34a... Good luck

SC300=JZZ31 chassis

SC400=UZZ31 chassis

What you should get but will never be able to in the states

Soarer=JZZ30 chassis

What you should get but will never be able to anywhere

Soarer=UZZ32

Overall, the cars are all completely the same(except for the god-like UZZ32). An SC300 is the exact same as a SC400 is the exact same as a Soarer. Except for the engine and trans. Of course people can nickel and dime me to death about the details, but thats the major difference. Like everyone else says, ask yourself what you want the car to do, or what you expect out of the car and go from there with your decision

• 14 years later...

I have located a 93 SC400 with 93K miles on it. The owner has some service records. The timing belt, water pump, etc were replaced at 75K miles. Anything in particular that I should look for?

What other services should I look for that have been completed in a used SC?

Thanks in advance. Dean

I live in Northern Az. I located a Lexus 93 SC 400 with slightly over 100 K miles on it. Interior / exterior was excelant . I drove the car and it drove and shifted well. I could see it needed tires and brakes and maybe rotors ? I wanted to get the car on a hoist but  no local station or car shop would let me under the car for insurance reasons. I bought the car,,When I put new tires on it and took it in for alignment they said they could not align it because the Lower Control Arm bushings were shot.. I took it home and got it up on jack stands...They were correct...The bushing were not worn out  the rubber had just mostly roughted out. I removed both lower control arms and searched for new bushings only to find that Lexus does not provide them any more...However they would sell me two new lower control arms ( with new bushings installed) at a cost of $1100.00 per control arm.. I was not going to invest $2200.00 plus tax into a car that I had not had a chance to really test drive. With the help of my neighbor who builds custom cars...we managed to find thecorrect size Lexus bushing used on a newer Lexus that were available. I bought the front and rear bushings for each control arm from Lexus dealer for about $350.00..I found the the reason Lexus did not supply these bushing was that the labor to remove the old bushings ( without damaging the control arms was more expensive than just installing the new control arms. The reason was the origional bushing had no metal lip to get ahold of to press them out..It's a long  story of how I did it but I did manage to replace the bushings in my workshop and get the alignment done. BOTTOM LINE ( check the Lower Control Arm Bushings)  At this point the car is on the road and running very well. I bought the new rotors and  the (NO FADE) brake pads from Rock Auto . I put Cooper tires on the car... I now enjoy driving the car, it steers fine and corners flat. The engine and auto trans. work just fine ( I changed All the fluids )

Take Care,  Fineride (AKA Don)