Aux Input For Mp3 Player/radio Removal

electricmessiah

I would like to add an auxiliary input to the stereo system in my 2000 rx300 so I can hookup my mp3 player (an ipod). While I could use one of those tape adapters I'd rather tap straight into the system to get better sound quality. After searching around online it looks like the only good way to do this is to wire it in in place of the tape deck. I'm sure I can figure out the wiring once I pull the radio out of the vehicle. What I'm not sure of is how to remove the radio without damaging anything. Have any of you done this before? Can you give me any advice? Is there a book I can get that will show me?

I'm also going to need to mount the ipod to the vehicle (preferably near the radio controls). Have any of you seen a good mounting solution for this type of thing?

Thanks

Check out my amazing IPOD mounting job!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&CODE=12&CID=96

Seriously, with the rubber skin on the IPOD, it has never once budged from that position even during the sharpest of cornering. About the only thing that affects it is when the car gets turned upside down.

As far as the direct AUX line goes, IMHO its not worth the effort.

Either use a tape converter (the sound is not going to be too much better hardwired in anyway)

or use an FM transmitter like this:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/

• 1 year later...

I'd love to check out your amazing IPOD mounting job, but I can't get that link to work.

The aux line may not be worth the effort, but I don't think that will stop me :)

I ran across your post while searching for an Aux Input for my own 2000 RX300. Would you be kind enough to tell me if and how you solved your problem?

Regards ...

Jack Hamilton

jahamilton2@earthlink.net

I'd love to check out your amazing IPOD mounting job, but I can't get that link to work.

The aux line may not be worth the effort, but I don't think that will stop me :)

em

If you are the Pied Piper I will follow. Just because it may be impossible, that is no reason to quit. I too wish to hard wire the mp3 player, however, I also wish to install a 1/8" mini jack into which my rider can plug her earphones. I wish for her to be able to continue to listen to her radio through the phones while I listen to my mp3's through the speakers. I know that it sounds convoluted, but I am the driver and cannot use the phones, yet I am the one that wants to listen to mp3's and not have the exterior dash all yucked up with wires and gizmos. Sooooo, when you get it figured out, or if you have a question please pm.

I am the guy who once made a bunch of orange crates out an airplane, so my skills are not to be trusted.

cm

Before I got my RX, my friend had one, and he wanted a 1/8" jack for his ipod as well. What we managed to do was get to the wires coming out of the back of the cd changer, and track down which ones were the audio output from the changer. We then cut the wires and spliced in a 1/8" headphone extension cable (like one you buy from radio shack) with the female end cut off to expose the wires. We figured out right/ left channels with the wiring, and vola, a direct input to the existing stereo. The only downfall is you lose your cd changer. But, you should have all your cd's on your ipod already, right! I will take a look at his car the next chance i get to find out exact wire colors. Mabey I'll even do a how-to with some pics once i get exact info (just going off of what i can remember from about a year and a half ago right now). I know this doesn't help since i dont have any particulars, but at least for the moment people can know that it is VERY possible.

crew

haven't come across any instructions. It is pretty simple when it comes to interior pieces of a car, either there is a screw or fastener you can see, or there are clips behind the piece. if you take it slowly, make sure you remove ALL visible screws and fastners, then pull gently in different areas and in different directions, you can usually remove just about anything on the interior of the car.

To remove get to what you need do the following:

1) take a average sized flathead screwdriver, and cover the tip with somthing to protect the plastic pieces in your car. I usually use the blue painters tape and wrap it over the tip.

2) take the screwdriver and pry gently on the bottom most part of the wood trim (the big piece shaped basically like a big "U" that starts up by your hazard lights and goes all the way down to below the gear shift) You should place the tip between the bottom of the wood trim and the plastic of the console that goes all the way down to the carpet. Pry the piece up, by pushing the screwdriver down (gently!)

3) Once you get it up enough to squeeze your fingers in there, use your hands to gently pull as you work your way up the outside of the "U" wood trim. Notice that the black plastic surrounding the gear shift, that holds the heated seats (if you have that option) and the cigarette lighter, should be coming up with the trim (as they are screwed togeather. You should feel the clips "pop" out as you are pulling.

4) Once all clips are released you need to turn the ignition on and put it in gear (engine still off). this is just to give you enough room to remove the whole piece.

5) remove plugs/wires to heated seats and cigarette lighter and remove the piece and set it aside.

6)once the piece is removed you will see four gold bolts holding in the rest of the upper center console ( screen, radio, etc) . if my memory serves me correctly they are 10mm. remove these, and the entire upper console should pop out with some gental pulling towards the rear of the car to release a few clips that help hold it in.

7)once you get it released, pull it towards you until you can get to the wiring behind the stereo. remove the four plugs, and the antenna wires.

8)remove the whole upper console from the vehicle and set it face down on a soft surface.

9) Notice the main box that all the wires were plugged into. This is the stereo brain, as well as the tape player. i believe it is four screws that fasten it to the front fascia of the stereo. remove those and vola, you got what you need.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. Everything comes out pretty easy, just take it slow, and remove what seems obvious. I wrote this all from memory of what i did a few months ago, so no guarantees on the directions, but i should give you the general idea of what needs to be done.

Crew