Updates On Rx330 Trans Problems?

Walterbn

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had my 30 day service check done. I already had the latest update for tranny issue, and th etech told me that Lexus is still aware of te problem and they are working another tranny update??? I guess we will see when it happends

Also asked to adjust my headlights as they seem a little low--said it was in spec! Guess I will do it myself :P

Had a few C-BEST changes--all is good now

My local servicing dealer told me that Lexus has instructed dealers to tell customers there is no new update coming...do not expect one..there is no "problem" and that things are "performing as designed." Whadda ya bet the '05 is sold as having a "new" and "upgraded" trans that "fixes all woes"......?

Sorry to hear that, but it doesn't surprise me nor do I believe you're surprised. It's a shame that Lexus' approach on the RX series transmission problem is to pretend that it isn't a problem. As a result, our first Lexus will be our last one as well. No surprises there, either....

i have similar problem --- shaking car when driving on highway (like there is transmission/engine problem, or when the road is very rough -- do you call think "clunk'?)

RX330 less than 2 months old, happened pnce a month ago....quite erratic happenning which makes me believe it is the software/electronics....

this (and the way one particular dealer handled it) really makes me feel unsafe with this car, and lost faith in any lexus.

FYI if you want to diagnose:

1. when a dealer drive it, they found "no problem", so it may be this starts at some particular circumstance

2. 3 lights went on: check engine, then VSC and TRAC OFF

3. seems there was some problem with cruise control (but i am not sure if they are related)

4. it starts in both cases at around 60-70 mph, maybe that it couldnt get into 5th speed?

5. is shaking due to VSC that mistakenly identify your situation as close to toppling and tried to "restabilize" your car continuously? (that it won't go off at all)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm talking about a slight delay when pushing the throttle too quickly from a rolling stop, 1-5mph. The throttle will lag and the car will kick.

so what is the reason for this, in your opinion, because i am going through that exact problem and i only have 678 miles on it.

I think that it is a condition of the throttle by wire system, possibly having to do with its integration to gas engines. I've heard complaints about this hesitation from owners of all kinds of different cars that have e-throttles. For some reasons diesels don't seem to have the issue and niether do hybrids, possibly because of the higher low end torque of diesel and electric motors.

I'm talking about a slight delay when pushing the throttle too quickly from a rolling stop, 1-5mph. The throttle will lag and the car will kick.

so what is the reason for this, in your opinion, because i am going through that exact problem and i only have 678 miles on it.

Mine does the exact same thing....I have 1200 on it now. Dont really like it, but Ill get used to it until they fix it----are they going to fix it :rolleyes:

Mine does the exact same thing....I have 1200 on it now. Dont really like it, but Ill get used to it until they fix it----are they going to fix it :rolleyes:

your guess is as good as mine. if you come across any info, let me know pls.

Naa, they're not going to fix it. I think its inherant to the technology. It is possible to adapt to it as I have, it doesn't bother me anymore. In fact driving cars with standard throttles now seems strange.

The problems that I have experienced with the newer 5 speed transmission are identical to those that have been experienced by a large number of other purchasers of this vehicle and the other models in which the same new motor/transmission package is found.  The shifting is often soggy, inconsistent, hesitant, and vague.  If one is steady on the throttle while accelerating and then eases throttle pressure, the transmission becomes very confused.  Occasionally there is a judder between shifts.  On cruise control the shifting is very harsh, particularly on hills.  That is by no means a complete recitation of the issues with the transmission.  These problems are compounded by the fly-by-wire software issues in the new application of this technology to this new power train.  There is a dead spot or pause off of idle when one initially hits the throttle and the rate of acceleration surges up and down unevenly.  These engine issues are also common to a number of other RX330 owners.  The combination of these two problem areas creates a negative synergy that is significant.

What is so surprising is that prior Lexus/Toyota V6 - automatic transmission combinations have been the “Gold Standard” of the industry for a significant period of time against which all other manufacturers have been compared. 

Lest one comment that mine is an isolated experience, you need only turn to the large number of other customer complaints nationwide on these same issues.  When I entered an extremely limited, very specific search in an average internet search engine, I received ten pages containing 2150 links to websites of road tests, magazines, owner’s groups, bulletin boards, car purchase sites, automotive consumer discussion groups, articles, etc., containing lengthy compilations of negative comments by a large number of owners as to these same problems and the unwillingness of Toyota/Lexus to remedy them.

Several Lexus service people have told me the problems are common to many cars.  Lexus' first "fix" was to say us 91 octane gas.  When it did not placate the masses, they had a software upgrade.  When this had limited positive results, the line became you do not have a problem because the trans is performing as designed and there will be no fix.

This is shabby treatment from a company that can and has done better.  If they do not fix this, this will be my first and last Lexus.  My wife was close to getting an SC430 (now will get an XK8) and I wanted to follow the RX330 with a new generation GS430.  Not now.....

Thank you very much for taking time to share your views regarding the poor transmission performance in the RX330. I was intending to buy a new '05 RX330 this weekend, and came to this particular website to learn of others' price experiences. Frankly, after reading the many posts on this wesite and others concerning Lexus RX330 transmission lag, and the apparent wholesale lousy support from Lexus to correct the problem, I am going to look at SUVs by other manufacturers, and pass on the RX330. I hope the folks at Lexus read these postings and understand that failing to satisfy their customers after the sale, will eventually impact decisions made by prospective buyers of their product - it clearly has affected the choice I will be making shortly.

Smart decision, robrick88. The inferior transmission design of the RX series that we've experienced in my wife's 2000 RX300 has caused us to come to the same conclusion. There are many better small SUVs out there. Best wishes in finding one that meets your criteria.

Smart decision, robrick88.  The inferior transmission design of the RX series that we've experienced in my wife's 2000 RX300 has caused us to come to the same conclusion.  There are many better small SUVs out there.  Best wishes in finding one that meets your criteria.

I am also re-thinking now after going through the insightful posts. I negotiated last week for a 05 AWD and kept it on hold. As robrick88 said, I hope the lexus mgmt sees how watchful buyers are shying away from it.

• 5 weeks later...

I've experienced this lag in my '04 RX330 from the beginning, and frankly, I enjoy the car so much that it soon became nothing more than a petty, and ultimately forgotten annoyance.

Whenever I purchase a new car, there is invariably an adjustment period wherein my muscles memorize all the movements necessary to get the just the right mix of performance and comfort out of the ride.

I've yet to meet a car that didn't have some undesireable engineering characteristic(s) that required contending with. I've dealt with this one. Doing so required little effort, and is now entirely sub-conscious.

It's just the right size, equally or more comfortable and quiet as any other in it's class, and rides like a dream. If I didn't love it, I'd leave it.

Went to the Seattle auto show today and dropped by the Toyota desk. Asked about the hesitation problem I've been reading about on the internet and another individual was pointed that would know the answer. He got on his cell phone and contacted someone he said would for sure know the answer.

Came back and told me that "it's to provide smoother, less noticeable shifting".

I'm not kidding, that's what the man said.

The technician said something about a fix to the ES330 was just made available and that there IS a good chance that one will be coming for the RX.

I too have learned to cope with the pause/count to 8/take off transmisssion.

The technician said something about a fix to the ES330 was just made available and that there IS a good chance that one will be coming for the RX.

Can you try and pry all the info from your tech on this update for us RX330 owners please :ph34r:

According to our tech in Nashville, the correction was intended for the ES and already integrated into the '04 RX330. It didn't make me feel any better about this issue.

Amazing, I still have this vehicle. Every other car we've looked at forces us to give up something or has it own quirk.

Looks like we'll have our RX for a little longer yet - not more than a year though.

Can you try and pry all the info from your tech on this update for us RX330 owners please :ph34r:

There is no fix. The 2006 RX will have a six speed transmission. Not sure what the engine match will be. I was told that the Japanese didn't want to built the current transmission but the Americans insisted on having more power in lower gears and yet more gas milage in the crusing gears. The result is gears that have ratios too far apart. The engine needs to increase speed when it shifts up or down so it won't stall. We were told to use premiem gasoline, which we did, maybe helped a little, but not much.

We're just living with it. They even offered to may some payments for us but its paid for. After that nothing was done. They did say that they would offer me a great deal on the new 2006.

Unfortunately, we're just stuck with a Lexus lemon.

I am brand new to this forum and one of the many with a new RX330 who is suffering from the package of trasmission issues and problems (and fly by wire throttle problems as well).  My local dealer now tells me that the current party line from Lexus is to not expect a fix...and they are still giving me the old "(i)t is performing as designed" speech.  My retort is that a !Removed! designed as a !Removed! is still a !Removed!

Is there any positive news on this issue?  Is a fix coming?  Is there a new transmission coming in the '05? 

Thanks for the help and info.

I am brand new to this forum and one of the many with a new RX330 who is suffering from the package of trasmission issues and problems (and fly by wire throttle problems as well).  My local dealer now tells me that the current party line from Lexus is to not expect a fix...and they are still giving me the old "(i)t is performing as designed" speech.  My retort is that a !Removed! designed as a !Removed! is still a !Removed!. 

Is there any positive news on this issue?  Is a fix coming?  Is there a new transmission coming in the '05? 

Thanks for the help and info.

My 2004 RX330 is in the Lexus service dept at the moment they are applying a TSB "fix" fir the transmission thump/poor shifting, they told me it was a problem with the Transmission Oil cooler pipe causing pressure fluctuations, so thye will be replacing the assembly.

Overall after six monts of owning this vehicle it is not the Luxury auto I was led to believe, along with the transmission problem, there are numerous rattles which have become very distracting, especially over rough roads. and my other gripe is the paintwork seems to chip very easily right down to bare metal, I bought the touchup kit but very poor match.

If I was asked whether I would buy another Lexus , I have to say NO, its just not worth the extra to have a nice looking vehicle which performs poor and below expectations. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Been manually shifting between third, forth and fifth. It definitly works better but the question that comes up is "what for?" or "what's the point?" as it is an automatic. Well, I can live with it this way. RPMS are up and the RX is ready to go. Now, I just need to do something with the front passenger seat...

Any news of programing updates for the transmission?

• 2 weeks later...
Been manually shifting between third, forth and fifth. It definitly works better but the question that comes up is "what for?" or "what's the point?" as it is an automatic. Well, I can live with it this way. RPMS are up and the RX is ready to go. Now, I just need to do something with the front passenger seat...

Any news of programing updates for the transmission?

Wow... I'm sorry to hear of all the problems that some of you have had with your Rx 330s. Personally speaking? I love my Rx330 and have not noticed a huge number of problems or issues. Because I like the overall feel and the way the car drives, I have few complaints. True, the throttle does hesitate just a bit when doing a non gradual speed increase, but I have become accustomed to the fact that car will hesitate a bit at times and have learned to drive with its idiosyncrasies.

My basic philosophy is that no matter what car one gets, there is bound to be some issues with any car... good luck to those of you who have chosen other cars.

I have two RX300s with fairly high mileage, and have had absolutely no problems with either one. I think the RX is an excellent car!!! It doesn't matter what make of car you drive, if you don't properly maintain the vehicle then you are going to have problems, especially when it comes to the engine and transmission. The Lexus maintenance schedule is seriously flawed. I will never take my car to a dealership unless I absolutely have to. They go strictly by the book, which is why there are so many mechanical issues and customer dissatisfaction.

Oh yeah, it is impossible to maintain an RX300 transmission without hooking it to a flush machine. A flush is the only way to completely replace the entire fluid in the transmission. For those do it yourselfers, don't try this at home