Updates On Rx330 Trans Problems?

Walterbn

Its been a while since you had the new transmission put in so I didn't remember the specifics. What you have to understand is you and I are talking about entirely different topics and I believe some members are too. I'm talking about a slight delay when pushing the throttle too quickly from a rolling stop, 1-5mph. The throttle will lag and the car will kick. This doesn't happen at speeds and the freezing issue your transmission exhibited was certainly very different. THIS you can drive around by learning to be smoother on the throttle, I don't see how you could drive around your problem and I agree, it is dangerous.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wiil respond by saying the shifting was (is) not my concern.

The PROBLEM is when slowing down around 2-5 mph, IF you need to accelerate more than a slow ease, like avoiding an accident, the car will lag, very DANGEROUS....

I have reported this to the dealer 3 times, all they do is reset the computer.

BTW my 03 ES300 did this too.

My 04 RX330 is worse somtimes that others, but never acceptable.

It won't be fixed until someone is killed. In my opinion. :o

My 04 RX-330 is in the shop RIGHT NOW for its 5000 mile service, and a few minor adjustments. (they kept it overnight and gave me an 05 Chevy Trailblazer as a loaner)

I mentioned the 1-2 second hesitation when accelerating at 20-30mph, and asked if they could make sure I have the latest firmware in my ECM. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said it's due to the fly by wire design and associated delay. I got the impression this is a very common question because he looked down at his desk when I mentioned it. Did microsoft design these ecms or something? :)

My 04 RX-330 is in the shop RIGHT NOW for its 5000 mile service, and a few minor adjustments. (they kept it overnight and gave me an 05 Chevy Trailblazer as a loaner)

I mentioned the 1-2 second hesitation when accelerating at 20-30mph, and asked if they could make sure I have the latest firmware in my ECM. He knew exactly what I was talking about and said it's due to the fly by wire design and associated delay. I got the impression this is a very common question because he looked down at his desk when I mentioned it. Did microsoft design these ecms or something? :)

Plese find out if your tranny required an update or not and if it did, how does it feel now? Can you feel any differance in it! But make sure they did put an uodatd program in there. Thanks

Mine goes in for the 30-Day check Monday! Not sure if Im going to ask him to put the latest update or not in it, my tranny seems ok But I do feel the lag at times everyone is talking about........... :cries:

I'll let you know when i pick her up this afternoon, and what it says on the slip.

I read online, and was told by the salesperson, that they'll give you a loaner of the same model you drive. Is that normally the case? They said they had too many service calls for loaners and shipped a carload of customers to a nearby car rental company. (they covered the rentals) I was a bit upset that it took 2 hours of waiting just to drop off the car and get back on the road (to get back to my job), but I assume that to be an unusual event for this dealer. They've been top notch in every other aspect.

They ended up keeping her overnight because the dash needed to be pulled to fix a noise and to fix a defective housing cover that had light shining through at night. (a scratch inside)

Driving this 05 Chevy Trailblazer makes me appreciate the RX for sure :) It's not a BAD vehicle, but seems to be very poorly constructed. (If you push the dome light on/off switch, the whole ceiling around it pushes in about 1-2 inches, etc)

My Lexus dealer in Anchorage has 2 or 3 lexus to loan you, but if they have a few more than usual service repairs going on that day, you will get stuck with some other vehicle? I always just be the first in line in the morning...like Monday when I go Ill be there 30 minutes prior to opening just to get me another Lexus! Ill just browse the lots till they open :ph34r:

Rhody, Cant wait to see what they did to your tranny and if you can notice any differance! Get all the info you can out of the Mechanic that did the work.....

I just got back from the dealership, and I'm not too pleased. I'm wondering if I should be considering a different place to have the car serviced in the future. The employees were pleasant, as was I, but I feel like I got the runaround. To minimize confusion, I documented what I wanted done on paper and presented it to them as a memo.

I dropped it off Friday morning. It took an hour in the waiting area before it was written up, and another 55 minutes before I was in a loaner (Chevy) vehicle and on my way to work. (I work an hour away and missed a half day of work) Friday afternoon they said it was apart in the shop and they werent quite finished finding the dash rattle noise, and wanted to keep it overnight. I had no problem with that.

Saturday I heard nothing, so I called at noon. They didnt know if the rep I dealt with yesterday was in, and paged, to no avail. No one else was available so she took a message for service to call me back. They didnt. Since they closed at 4 and I'm an hour away, I called back at 2:30 and spoke with the service department. He said they were working on the dash rattle noise and had it apart still, and asked if it would convenient to pick it up sometime next week. I agreed, if necessary. He said he would check the status and call me back if today was on. Five mins later he called and said to be there at 3:30 to get the car. I arrived at 3:30 and didn't get written up until 4:10. When I arrived the car was parked in the front and ready to go. I was told they were working on it once, and that they were test driving it for final inspection later. (no one entered the car after I got there, as it was in plain sight from the waiting area) No one went over the results, but I was handed a slip and keys.

When I got home, I read the paperwork and was disappointed.

MY MEMO

Good morning!  So I don’t forget to mention something, I’ve written down the pending issues for today’s service call:

• 5000 mile scheduled maintenance

• Installation of front license plate bracket. (located under cargo area carpet)

• Replace defective part in dashboard, where light shines through at night. (part has come in)

• Insulation of ticking noise around speedometer/instrumentation in dashboard, as discussed.  Bumps, heat, etc.  Push lightly with finger to see what I mean.

• Noise when sunroof is opened. Please lubricate, adjust, or repair.

• Dangerous transmission hesitation, when coasting then accelerating in the 20-30mph range.  I realize this is a known issue with vehicles on the Camry platform, but I’ve read that the latest ECM firmware improves upon it somewhat.  Can we flash my vehicle with the latest version/fix?

• CBEST setting change to eliminate audible beep when alarm is armed or disarmed:

Wireless door lock remote control -> WIRLS BUZZ RESP -> OFF

• CBEST setting to unlock all doors with one push of UNLOCK on remote:

Wireless door lock remote control -> UNLOCK/2 OPER -> OFF

If you have any questions, I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx.  Thanks in advance!

Mike

PAPERWORK: (complete with spelling typos)

A MAITENANCE PERFORM 5K SERVICE (filter, gasket, 5w30 mobil oil listed)

B CUSTOMER STATED THAT THERE IS A LIGHT COMMING THRU THE SHIFTER (SOP)

Cause: LIGHT COMING TRU THE SHIFTER. COVER WEAK. INSTALL NEW COVER. (housing sub assy 35907-0e020)

5175 WEAK ILUMINATION R&R SHIFTER COVER

C PLEASE PUT FRONT PLATE BRACKET AND PLATE ON VEHICLE

D THERE IS A TICKING SOUND COMMING FROM DASH AREA NEAT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

5175 NORMAL INJECTOR NOISE

E C/S THAT THERE IS HESITATION WHEN TAKING OFF  1525 DRIVETRAIN

5175 NO CODITION FOUND

F GET RID OF BEEP WHEN LOCKING DOORS AND UNLOCKING 1400 ELECETRICAL MAJOR

5175 CUSTOMIZED

G PUSH OF THE BUTTON UNLOCKS ALL DOORS 1450 MINOR ELECTRICAL

5175 CUSTOMIZED

So in spite of explaining in writing, the transmission issue was dismissed. The sunroof wasnt looked at. The very obvious ticking noise around the instrument cluster (something is rubbing where the plastic meets- was blamed on FUEL INJECTORS!) Did they move them INSIDE the car now? :blushing:

I spent almost 3 hours waiting, 4 hours driving time, got a Chevy loaner, waited an extra day, and have to go back again because half the things weren't done?

I'm not an unreasonable guy, nor was I pushy in any way. I realize these folks have to work with some of the most "picky" consumers out there, but I've never had such an experience. The dealer is only a year old, and is supposed to be considerably better than the Lexus dealers in my state (which is why I drive an extra hour), but I can't help thinking I should be searching for somewhere else where I can be confident it will be done right.

Would you in my shoes? Should I give them another shot at 10,000?

Sorry for the long post.

A disappointed

Mike

Seems like that Lexus service center Sucks!! Waiting for that long is rediculous, Im in/out in a matter of minutes.

I would definatly give them terrible feedback and complain some more :angry:

FOr them to dimiss the tranny, I would have thought they would have looked to see what ecm firmware was in there at least and if it wasnt the latest to update it anyway!

Sometimes you just have to be very DIRECT with people and always I WILL talk to the mechanic that will do the work se he fully understands what Im wanting!

I would give your other Lexus dealers a shot too. Sorry about your luck

I will give an update when I get mine back Monday and let you know what happened.

That is not at all acceptable for a Lexus dealer. My dealer has never kept the car more than a day to do anything and that includes dissassembling interior parts to get to rattles. I just picked it up yesterday from the 30,000 mile maint. and I had three concerns, a rattle in the rearview mirror, a clattering noise when idling, and a intermittant looseness in the drivers side front suspension that felt like a slightly worn or unlubricated bushing. As always I requested they did not wash the vehicle (dealers are notorious for poor washing that leads to scratches and swirls). I recieved an RX330 loaner and was on my way within 10 minutes, as is normal. This was 3:30 PM. I told them I needed the car by 3 the next day.

The next day I get a call that its finished, roll up at 3:15. Service completed. The rattle was coming from clips in the windshield header that should have been removed at delivery (common ES problem) but just in case they replaced the rearview mirror anyways to make sure I would be satisfied. The drive belts were drying up somewhat causing the clatter, not needing replacement yet but they replaced them anyways to make sure I was satisfied. They couldn't replicate the suspension noise (it is intermittant) but they lubricated everything in the front suspension anyways just to make sure I'd be satsified. Only problem was they half assed washed my car when I asked them not to, when I informed them that I would have to be compensated for the cost of re-detailing the vehicle to return it to the condition it was before I dropped it off they were very apologetic and said of course, just call next week and let them know and they would credit that amount back to my credit card as a discount for the service I just had. I thanked them for their fairness and left by 3:45. The only reason it took that long was because I had to show them the damage I noticed done during the wash (very slight).

THATS how a Lexus dealer should behave. Also don't always believe the reputations dealers have. A lot of owners respond in favor of a dealer because they feel they should. This dealer is consistently rated the lowest in the area, but its the only one I'd let service my car. Its a little older, not quite as fancy and I think that might be why it gets poor marks.

Another thing the rattle/tapping behind the guages is a common RX problem, there's a TSB that tells them EXACTLY how to fix it. Even if they couldn't hear it they should have performed the TSB. When they fixed the rattle in my rear door they didn't even try to replicate it, when I told them it was there they accessed the TSB and knew exactly how to fix it.

Sounds like you need to head off to the underdog dealer like I did. Let them know that you are coming off a not so good relationship with the dealer you're using now and if they can give you Lexus level service then they can earn your business and referrals for life. If they're good they'll work to impress you, this is what I did.

Thats what I do for a living I create custom customer retention programs for car dealerships and teach them on how to turn sales business into service business. What most people don't know is that a dealership makes WAY more per customer and in total off of service than they do off of sales. Thats where a lot of dealerships fail though, service. I provide them with the tools and the mindset neccisary to keep customers for life. You need to teach them a lesson, get the new dealer to work for your business, then when they do it rattle off a letter to the GM of the other dealer and explain to him why they failed in their job of earning your business for life and why the other dealer. Tell him he needs to read Carl Sewell's book "Customer for Life" he'll know what you mean.

Hell, give me the name of the dealer I can help them out.

I'm still not sure what I want to do about this.

Do you happen to have the TSB info about the dash rattle?

I know there's one regarding an air vent issue, and one about the right side near the glass.

My issue is with the plastic that wraps around the speedometer and other guages, which adjoins the actual dashboard. If the sun hits it, it ticks. If you touch it anywhere, you get noises that sound like styrofoam, if you go over a bump it squeeks. Winter should be fun. There's NO way they took the dash apart or looked at this. It's too obvious to miss - and I'm not being overly picky.

The last 6 cars I bought (00 Nissan Pathfinder, 04 Rav4, 00 CRV, 86 89 2 Accords, and a 95 Toyota Camry) had ZERO issues after I drove them off the lot. They went in only for scheduled service, which was excellent.

I really expected more, considering the hype Lexus gets from JD Power, etc.

Very interesting thread on loaners. The Alexandria, VA dealership @ Lindsay Lexus (I'm trying to give them all the publicity they deserve) has never provided me anything other than a low end (usually very low) GM POS, provided by a low end car rental agency, Enterprise, who frequently wanted to add on bogus "enhancements" (i.e., "extra" insurance). Not impressed... :angry:

Doc H

Yes Alexandria is where my dad bought his first LS400 in 98 and took it back for service subsequently. They have a very limited loaner fleet mostly because they don't have a lot of lot space nor a big service awning. I was never very impressed with Lindsay Lexus. I bought mine at Lexus of Annapolis and service it at Lexus of Silver Spring.

As for the TSBs, join www.alldata.com and you can access them and print them out. I know one exists for a creak behind the guages when the sun hits the dash.

Wow! Just posted a message in the modification forum looking for a way to modify my RX-330 transmission shifting and converter engagement but now I see this is a wide-spread problem. :o

My wife and I were at a Volvo dealer this weekend. Now, I believe we'll dump this Lexus and never look back. I'm not waiting for a fix - especially since Lexus hasn't even admitted there is a problem.

This drive-by-wire theory doesn't work for me as my Silverado with a Duramax diesel has one and has absolutely no hesitation or shifting problems. It just goes. Oh yeah, this crew-cab Silverado gets better gas/fuel mileage than our RX-330!

So, looks like we will cut our loses and disappointments now and get another vehicle.

Wished I would have discovered your site way sooner as there appears to be lots of info and knowledgable people on-board.

Marc

Because its a diesel. Like I said before our Prius hybridis a DBW throttle also and it doesn't hesitate, I've heard the same about diesel pickups with DBW. I think it may have something to do with them having more torque at low RPM compensating for the lag, both diesels and electric motors have a lot more torque than gas engines. Another peice of evidence for this is that in the LS and GS that have ECT modes on the transmission, the ECT PWR mode lessens the hesitation, more torque is availiable at lower speeds.

Because its a diesel. Like I said before our Prius hybridis a DBW throttle also and it doesn't hesitate, I've heard the same about diesel pickups with DBW. I think it may have something to do with them having more torque at low RPM compensating for the lag, both diesels and electric motors have a lot more torque than gas engines. Another peice of evidence for this is that in the LS and GS that have ECT modes on the transmission, the ECT PWR mode lessens the hesitation, more torque is availiable at lower speeds.

Hey, I also have ECT PWR on my 2000 RX300, but i rarely use it because it uses to much gas, but i like it thou. But in my curiousity, why did lexus stop having it after the 2000 Year model? I notice that other later models of RX300 only have Snow, and all RX330 the SNOW button is only available?

P.S. I still like lexus. :D I might look forward to the RX400h in about a year or two later on.

I thought I would share with you the info I pulled from ALLDATA.

I have an 04 RX 330. I purchased it last may and am still trying to get the dealer to address the wine /thump as well as the hesitation issues with the tranny. I have had the Dash rattle "fixed" twice and cant wait for winter to set in , so I can do it all over again :censored:

Anyways this is what I have for you and I am arming myself with it when i meet with the dealer this week.

Bulletins for 2004 Lexus Truck RX330 4WD V6-3311cc 3.3L DOHC (3MZ-FE)

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title EG006-04 MAY 04 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC's P0010 or P0020 Set

TC004-04 MAY 04 Engine/Transmission Controls - MIL ON/DTC's Set

EL007R-03 MAY 04 SRS - Occupant Sensor DTC's B1150 and B1650

AC002-04 MAY 04 A/C - Groaning Noise With A/C ON

TC003-04 APR 04 A/T -Transmission Solenoid Identification

EL002R-04 APR 04 Body - Power Back Door Inoperative Update

BR001-04 MAR 04 Brakes/Traction Control - 'Zero Point Calibration'

TC002-04 FEB 04 Drivetrain - Hum/Thump/Whine on Deceleration

SU001-04 FEB 04 Suspension - Front Suspension Creaking/Knocking Noise

BO011R-03 JAN 04 Body - Roof Rack Cross Bars Hard to Position

BO001-04 JAN 04 Interior - Seat Backboard Trim Loose

EG003-03 DEC 03 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC's P0441, P0442/P0446 Set

SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values

NV012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Glove Box Rattles

EL007R-03 DEC 03 SRS - Calibration of Occupancy Classification System

BO013-03 DEC 03 Interior - Visor Vanity Mirror Cover Binds When Opening

BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability

AC002-03 DEC 03 A/C - Blower Speed/Volume Gradually Dminishes

EL013-03 NOV 03 Lexus Link System - Error Message

BO010-03 OCT 03 Body - Creak/Tick Noise From Rear Hatch Area

NV010-03 OCT 03 Body - Rattle From Moonroof When Open

SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed

SS001R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Procedure

BO007-03 SEP 03 Interior - Trim Panel Removel/Installation Precautions

NV009-03 SEP 03 Body/Interior - Moonroof/Headliner Rattles

PG004-03 AUG 03 Wheels/Tires - Spare Tire Carrier Operation

EL008-03 AUG 03 Body - Power Window 'AUTO UP' Feature Malfunction

TC005-03 AUG 03 A/T - Poor Shift Quality/PROM Update

NV006-03 AUG 03 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattles From Center

AX004-03 MAY 03 Cell Phone - Headphones Turn OFF in Cold Weather

TC002-03 MAY 03 Engine Controls - ECM Reset Memory Function

fortunately , my dealer is understanding and is trying its hardest to satisfy me.

Hey, I also have ECT PWR on my 2000 RX300, but i rarely use it because it uses to much gas, but i like it thou. But in my curiousity, why did lexus stop having it after the 2000 Year model? I notice that other later models of RX300 only have Snow, and all RX330 the SNOW button is only available?

P.S. I still like lexus. :D I might look forward to the RX400h in about a year or two later on.

I don't know why, the ES used to have it also. May have something to do with the ULEV rating.