1997 Es300 Brake Shudder

abooblika

I have a 1997 ES 300 with brake shudder. I have replaced the rotors twice. The problem reappears soon after replacing the rotors e.g. within 5,000 miles. The most recent set of rotors that came off had a black scortch mark on the inside. The local auto place suggested I replace the calipers, rotors and pads with genuine lexus parts rather than aftermarket. The shudder almost seems like the antilock brakes are kicking in. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I had major problems with aftermarket rotors (brembo). Went through one pair in 1800 miles and another in less then 5K miles.

So I switch to OEM and have had ZERO problems. Also could be a sticking caliper. I was going to go with OEM on my new brake job but was also thinkg about sloted and drilled. kind of a catch 22

if you are going through rotors like that it probably means your caliper pistons are siezed.

i would tend to agree with replacing the whole deal. and fully bleeding the brake fluid.

as far as using genuine lexus or not, its a personal opinion thing. less of a chance of things going wrong with genuine parts but I believe its possible to get aftermarket parts that work just as well also. its just the chances of something not being right are much higher.

if one of the abs sensors were bad you would most liklely get an abs warning light.

if you are going through rotors like that it probably means your caliper pistons are siezed.

i would tend to agree with replacing the whole deal. and fully bleeding the brake fluid.

as far as using genuine lexus or not, its a personal opinion thing. less of a chance of things going wrong with genuine parts but I believe its possible to get aftermarket parts that work just as well also. its just the chances of something not being right are much higher.

if one of the abs sensors were bad you would most liklely get an abs warning light.

Thanks. I did notice that the inside brake pad was worn more than the outside. The calipers may be the problem. The Lexus calipers are expensive. Do you think I can get away with an aftermarket version with a Lexus rotor?

like i said its more personal preference.

i have aftermarket pads and rotors on my 92 and don't have any problems at all with them...

but i will concede that the chances of getting crap parts in the aftermarket are much higher than going with lexus parts.

you can also get the correct parts from your local toyota dealer, or online. toyota will sell you parts much cheaper and its all the same.