How Do I Clean My Mf Towels And Wash Mits

I finally detailed my old BMW yesterday... this was the first time I used specified steps: clay/scratch/polish/wax.

In the past, I did not know any better. Anyway, results are fantastic. The finish looks as deep and rich as day one on this 14 year old car.

Thanks for the the tips :cheers:

for the record, I used:

megs clay

megs #9

megs #86? polish

collinite wax

and

megs hot shot on wheels and trim.

I now have a ton of MF towels that need washing. what can I do? is it ok to wash the towels that have dash protect on them as well? will the wax stick to the washing machine basket?

THANKS

Quote: I now have a ton of MF towels that need washing. what can I do? is it ok to wash the towels that have dash protect on them as well? will the wax stick to the washing machine basket?

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Hand or machine wash in hot (120oF<) water with liquid detergent (Sonus Der Wnder Washe) this will remove wax or polish, rinse thoroughly twice, do not use bleach (bleach will shorten the life of your Microfiber cloths.) Do not use fabric softener (most contain silicone that the towel will adsorb and it will weaken the towels static charge thereby reducing their effectiveness) towel will also treat the fabric softener as if it was dirt by trying to store the tiny particles of the softener in the towel fibres. This will clog up the micro fibres and render the towel ineffective.

Add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar in place of a softener, the vinegar doesn't coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue. Be careful when machine washing or drying in mixed loads (Microfiber cloths will pick up lint from other fabrics.) This should also ensure that no residue ‘sticks’ to the machine basket

Air dry or you can dry Microfiber cloths in any dryer on low heat, just be sure that the dryer does not dry at temperatures above 235 degrees F as Microfiber will melt if heated too high. Colours may bleed during first washing. Just recently, a cleaning solution was developed specifically for cleaning Microfiber towels, a product called Micro-Restore Detergent that claims to effectively remove dirt without using the bleaches and softeners commonly found in laundry detergents.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I take my soiled shop towels and cleaning towels and mitts to a local coin laundry and sort them by level of soil and keep the shop and detail towels separate and get a much better cleaning job in the industrial tumble washers and not get any of this residue in my personal washer and do not have to watch it walk across the floor.

Good Luck!