Ls430 Tire Wear

DanT

I'm considering buying a 2005 LS430. When I looked in the Lexus on-line LS430 specifications, there was a footnote about tire wear for the 17 and 18-inch wheels, indicating that the tires may last less than 20,000 miles. Is this everyone's experience, that the tire lifetime is so short?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Dan

The tire tread goes fast on the Dunlops that come standard with the 2003 LS430. However, I tried replacing mine with Michelins and the ride became intolerable, so I returned to Dunlops. Sad note: The Dunlops are hard as hell to get and very expensive (but the ride is, well, Lexus).

George in Columbia SC

The problem is the smoother the tire the shorter the tread life. Sure you can get tires that will last much longer for this car, but like with George's car the ride will be like on a brick. Generally thats the deal, low treadwear=smoother ride. High treadwear=stiffer ride.

I'd expect actually that 20k is optimistic for tire life on this car, but thats really true of any car in this class.

Tread compound and tread design play a big role in tread life, how queit the tire is, and the performance of the tire. With a softer tire compound, you will have a tire that is quieter and better performing in dry weather(due to it being more "sticky" and adhering to the road surface better), but because it is softer, it will wear out quicker.

Tread design plays more of a role in wet weather traction, trying to get as much water out from under the tire as quickly as possible. Tread design can also play a part in how loud or quiet the tire is. Air is passing between the treads of the tire as you drive and the way the tread is layed out on the tire can determine how much of the noise from this air you can hear. If you have ever noticed a big lifted truck with 'mudder' tires that have deep treads on the tire, how the tires hum really loud as it goes by, this will give you and idea of what I am talking about.

Anyway, the things to look for when buying a tire is 1) research: find out what other people that own the tires you are looking at are saying about them 2) tire ratings: I think I have seen someone explain tire ratings in here before so I won't go into detail, but learn what all the numbers and letters on the tire mean and don't be afraid to go to several different tire shops and ask a bunch of questions.