Ca Smog Certification Ok With Aftermarket Intake?

The only hangup you might have is passing the visual inspection. If you find a cool smog inspector, you should pass fine, as the cool inspectors will look the other way most of the time.

Actually, now that I noticed that you're from out-of-state, you're going to run into more hassle. Since you probably have a 49 state GS400, you have to have the vehicle inspected by the CA DMV, and they're really strict. Unless you have an EO# for your intake (executive order #, meaning that it's approved by CARB, or California Air Resource Board), you will not pass the vehicle inspection.

I hope this helps you. Enjoy your day.

I'm kinda guessing here based upon the verbage "open element", but I believe she's referring to the "intake filter" as opposed to the actual intake manifold.

The manifold would certainly have to be CARB approved to be legit, but, I 'believe' that any of the aftermarket air filter's and their cool piping to the throttle body are OK.

I did not think that the parts forward of the throttle body were part of the visual check or the certification requirement.

I am referring to the air filter intake....not the manifold so I am hoping it will be fine.

He car was originally purchased in CA so it should already be CA SMog Emmission Ready.

Any updated thoughts? I should not have any problems....except for visual inspection?

I am referring to the air filter intake....not the manifold so I am hoping it will be fine.

He car was originally purchased in CA so it should already be CA SMog Emmission Ready.

Any updated thoughts? I should not have any problems....except for visual inspection?

Well I'm from cali and as long as you have your vaccum lines hooked up right and the air filter working in prime condition with a C.A.R.B. number slapped on the air filter setup, then you will pass. It's not so much a visual they are looking for but more over the actual CARB sticker. So yeah, as long as you meet the requirements, you should be all good to go.

yup, he's right.

I just read the K&N site as a reference and they mention that they have CARB for their various modified intake products. (a filter alone would not need CARB of course, but I guess the "non stock" filters and modified intake does need CARB certification)

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#4

It pretty pathetic how picky DMV inspectors can be. Even if the car is a CA car, you may still have to get it inspected at a CA DMV if you have out-of-state plates on it. I've had to do this a few times when I registered them in CA.

As TwinTurbo619 said, you need the CARB sticker to pass visual. Some places may not care as long as you pass the dyno smog check, but some people just look for reasons to fail you.

My suggestion is to obtain a CARB sticker for your intake (if it's eligible; contact the intake manufacturer) or return it to stock for at least the DMV inspection.

Enjoy your day!

Terence