Alternative To Bfi?

RonW

So I had my front bumper of (2000 SC300) for some paint touchup. Decided to take a look at how the air intake worked. Well the intake snorkel terminates in back of the top part of the bumper. Seems to me that if I cut about 4" off the front of the snorkel, make a new bracket and add some tubing I can reposition the front of the snorkel to the slot in the bumper next to lower lights and get cold air forced thru the snorkel. Seems like an easy way to get some fresh air to the intake. Am I missing something. A few guys I have seen here have built these BFI boxes, they seem to be quite a bit of work compared to what I am going to do. Is there that much of difference in air intake?

• 2 months later...

I did that when my bumper was off and it seemed to work better than the bfi. Mine has a 4" inlet that is merged into the stock openning. I modified the track on the stock piece to get better flow and more volume. It works well and is fairly stealth. Well worth the hour it took and looks totaly stock.

i'm doing that this weekend on my LS, i have a conical filter and a 3" adapter on its way,

i already made cardboard templates for heat shields, now i'm just looking for the right material to use

i might work on a closed box set up for it to fit in, i bought another OE air box and tubing to fool around with, and cut up........

( i want to keep it stock looking though), but i might just have it in the open with just heat shields (heat shields are the key) , i don't know yet

.....but there is an opening between the radiator and the foglights for the cold air to come through as well as where the stock air comes through (just under the hood,, that is perfect to use, so i'll try to route that with the OE intake tubing from the front that goes into the air box to get a tight fit, (its almost already the right shape just have to flip it sidways, with a little modifitcation it should be a tight fit............. if i can get that to work, i'll have 2 routes for cold air..... so i'll just see what happens. <_<

i'll report back with pics on how it goes.......