Idiot Light - Oil Lamp On

es300man

OK you guys....got one for you!

When I'm on the highway for 10 mins. or so in my '93 ES300, a little light comes on that looks like a genie's lamp. My mechanic thought it was from a defective "oil sending unit" and replaced it. Nope, still comes on. There's plenty of oil on the dipstick and it runs cool all the time. Any ideas what could be causing the light to come on? :cries:

OK you guys....got one for you!

When I'm on the highway for 10 mins. or so in my '93 ES300, a little light comes on that looks like a genie's lamp. My mechanic thought it was from a defective "oil sending unit" and replaced it. Nope, still comes on. There's plenty of oil on the dipstick and it runs cool all the time. Any ideas what could be causing the light to come on?

Either oil pressure or oil level . Oil level on my 96 is a yellow light I believe and oil pressure is red.

I have two oil lights:

"the genie lamp" by itself is the Low Engine Oil PRESSURE warning light.

"the genie lamp" with the wavy line under it is the Low Engine Oil LEVEL warning light.

If it is an oil pressure problem, then:

maybe the oil pump is getting tired.

maybe the oil pick up is restricted or partially clogged.

thus creating a low oil pressure when the demand for oil is higher.

steviej

Not being a smart a$$, but why not hook it up to an OBDII scanner??? Take the "guessing" right out of this????

What is the scanner have to do with this problem we having? Did you pull off the oil pan ? What's the oil pressure look like?

JPI

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...