Wonder Clay - Wonderful Stuff!

I've got a pearl white '93 ES-300, kept outdoors at all times in the hot (107 today!) California sun. Yet the paint looks factory brand-new, thanks to a product I discovered at a car show. it is called "Wonder Clay", and I can't say enough about it. Actually, it is a two part system. The first step is to spray a small section of the car with a pink "bubblegum" scented solution, sold at most detail shops. Then you just rub the "Wonder Clay" *gently* over the surface. It feels like 'Playdough', and takes no effort at all. After that, wax with whatever wax you prefer. You won't believe your eyes! All the oxidized paint cleans up brand new, and sap, tar and road grit vanishes from the paint. Pep Boys sells a knockoff of this product, but it costs a little more money.

Rich

p.s. I have no connection whatsoever with the vendor for this product, I'm just a fan of anything that helps maintain the quality of my investment.

I recently bought my '04 LS430 at the end of July and have put about 5 layers of Macguires Tech wax on it. The paint surface was as smooth as glass. Last week I took an unexpected trip to Dallas to avoid "Ivan" and when I got back home, the first thing I did was wash my car to remove road grime and bugs. As I wiped it down, I felt a ruff texture to all the horizontal surfaces (hood, top and trunk). I tried wax, but that didn't remove whatever was on the paint. I figured the contamination came from one of 2 places, my Lexus dealer where they are in the middle of constructing new facilities or a new interchange I passed under in Dallas that was under construction.

I have been reading posts about how great detailing clay is, so I bought some "Clay Magic" at the local Pep Boys for $6.00. The kit contained the clay and a spray bottle of the lubricant. I was a little nervous about using it, but having read glowing comments in this forum, I followed the instructions and used it on all the affected surfaces. Gotta tell you, this stuff IS magic. When I first applied the clay to the paint, it felt like I was using sand paper. As I continued rubbing, I could feel the surface smooth out until it was as smooth as the day I took delivery. Nothing could have wiped the smile off my face as all the ruff texture melted away into the clay. After claying my car, I washed it and applied a coat Tech wax.

So anyone who is hesitant to try using detailing clay, don't be. Just follow the instructions, use plenty lubricant and you'll be real happy with the results. I've got to thank this forum for all the great information and for giving me the nerve to try new things.

Mike

~One mans opinion / observations~

There are only one or two manufacturers in the US that have the patent rights to detailer’s clay, most clay is repackaged and sold under license from these companies, the largest manufacturer is Clay Magic.

Detailer's cleaning clay removes imbedded pollutants by encapsulation or shearing, lifting debris from the paint film surface and leaves behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your paint protection adhere better and improve its durability.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon