2000 Lx470

drewgause

We recently purchased a 2000 LX 470, and have been very satisfied with the truck. In fact we were actually greatful to be driving it when a deer jumped in front of us last June. We felt the size, weight and high profile of the vehicle could easily be the reason no one was injured when the very large animal leapt up and struck the A pillar.

After locating an excellent body shop, the cosmetic damage was repaired. We picked up the truck and promptly took a long awaited vacation. Again the truck performed without problems. However, one week after the trip was over, as I pulled up to our home, the truck died when I stopped. I thought it was perhaps bad gas, or time for a tune up. When I went to start the truck it fired right up, and idled just fine. It reved fine, nothing appeared wrong, but when I put it in gear, it died again. Plenty of gas, no difficulty starting it at all.

I have since tried several times to move the truck, and it continues to start up, idle in both Park and Neutral, but when the shifter is moved to engage either a forward or reverse gear, the truck dies. I've checked the fuses, the transmission fluid, everthing seems to be normal. Has anyone else heard of this problem or experienced the same thing?

Hi Robert,

No noise, no choking, it just dies like the key has been turned off. When it initially happened I tried to put it in gear a few times, and each time it would die. Awhile later, my wife went out to try, and she said after she let the truck warm up for 20 30 minutes she was able to get it in gear and put it in the driveway. That was two weeks ago and the truck has not moved since. Each time it has been started it runs fine, but when put in gear it dies.

Thanks,

Drew

I'm not a mechanic so I'm sort of stumped on this. What would make sense in my mind is that the transmission is broken, and the engine knows that so when you put it into gear, the engine shuts if self off to prevent further damage. No error or warning lights are popping up in the cluster?

-Robert

No warning lights, no unusual sounds or performance issues prior to the begining of the problem. As I pulled up to the curb the first time, I was slowing to stop, and there was a clunk but I thought that was because the engine had died. I would think transmission too, but my wife was able to get it to move again long enough to drive about 150 feet. I've checked all the fuses...I guess it's time to get it to the shop.

• 2 weeks later...