Speaker Problems...can't Figure Out Why.

bogman2121

Last night on my drive home my back two speakers decided to cut out and have yet to come back on. Today I tried nearly everything people on this site had to offer but still no sound. The sub and all the front speakers still work along with the radio and the cd player. I looked under the seat and checked the connections - nothing. I hooked up a speaker that was known to work - nothing. I looked around the amp and saw no sign of water damage so I didn't take it out. I'm thinking maybe the problem lies somewhere in the amp but I have no idea how to go about checking it. IF any of you had this problem please tell me how you fixed it and please tell me how you think I can fix my problem with all the information I've already given you. Thanks in advance for your help and I'll be around most of the night to answer any questions you may have for me that I didn't answer.

There are no fuses on the amp. I was going to try switching amps with one my neighbor has but the connections are completely different so now I'm totally lost on what to do. I tried new speakers, cleaning all the connections, checking for water, and the mute thing for the phone. If anyone has any idea what I might have missed or if you've previously solved this problem please let me know.

• 5 months later...

alright so it's definately been awhile since i've been on here and i can see that no one posted a solution to my solution in here, i've yet to take the car to an audio shop and i really don't want to so IF ANY OF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH MY SPEAKERS PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD POST IT IN HERE.

I think it would have been easier using a test lamp or voltometer. That way you can see where the current is or isn't. For example, if you find there is no current going into the amp, then obviously you have a faulty wire connection somewhere before the amp or possibly at the head unit.

This saves alot of trouble of taking apart stuff when it is really uneeded. :)

I had the same problem, If you have the mobile phone in the console, there is a connection behing the driver under the rear seat (spray with a good contact cleaner. If this connector does not fix the problem, I can say that 9 out of ten times it is the speakers. There are several choices in that catagory to choose. When I had this problem it was the back speakers, I purchased a set of Nakimichi SP-52C speakers for all four (front doors and rear deck) corners, I love them, they are crystal clear and work flawless.

I have a similar problem. My rear sub channel in my 97 ES does not work. It started a few weeks ago when I cut away the wires to the 8" stock sub to switch with a 12" boxed Audiobahn. It worked for a while when I tested it by just twisting the connections together, but after that, neither speaker connected to those wires has worked. All other speakers in the car work how they always have. And I thought that the amp went to more than just that one back sub. I pulled out the full back seat and rear dash to see if i maybe unclipped a connection, but it was all good. Maybe I blew a fuse? I need some input, because I know some of you out there have some crazy knowledge on this stuff. I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

I have a similar problem. My rear sub channel in my 97 ES does not work. It started a few weeks ago when I cut away the wires to the 8" stock sub to switch with a 12" boxed Audiobahn. It worked for a while when I tested it by just twisting the connections together, but after that, neither speaker connected to those wires has worked. All other speakers in the car work how they always have. And I thought that the amp went to more than just that one back sub. I pulled out the full back seat and rear dash to see if i maybe unclipped a connection, but it was all good. Maybe I blew a fuse? I need some input, because I know some of you out there have some crazy knowledge on this stuff. I will appreciate it.

Thanks.

In response to all the SC guys with the rear speakers going out it is caused by a power surge when the volume is turned up and the car is started , When this is done repeatedly the rear speakers both blow out at the same time. This is a common problem with SC's.

I know well enough to turn the radio off before i turn the car off so it wont blast when i start it. Also, I tried other speakers-none of which are blown. It must be something else. I can't live like this without bass.

Although that may not be the reason , It is the most common cause of the rear speakers blowing out in the SC400/300 . If you need new Nakamichi speakers I have several sets of brand new 2 way , They also work perfect with the pioneer system.

I appreciate the offer. But, my speakers are not blown. I even have a new sub I want to put in. But, no sound comes from that channel-no matter what speaker. I don't know if it could be the amp or wires or a fuse or hyposplendificulator--haha I have no clue about this stuff. If it is the amp (stock pioneer) I can just get it on Ebay for cheap, but if it is something else, I would like to take care of it.

Thanks for all the input.

Mine went out a few months ago after they did some dash work to replace the computer that controls the full display (I've also replaced the speedo display computer). Went back to the dealer and they just said the speakers themselves died. Hooked up a replacement and it was fine but Lexus get $440 for the pair. Off to Best Buy...

An expensive car to maintain but it's spotless and I love it.

John

:geek: Same problem, If it is not the speakers, according to the Lexus repair manual it is the main control unit (Radio, tape player)

Mine went out a few months ago after they did some dash work to replace the computer that controls the full display (I've also replaced the speedo display computer).  Went back to the dealer and they just said the speakers themselves died.  Hooked up a replacement and it was fine but Lexus get $440 for the pair.  Off to Best Buy...

An expensive car to maintain but it's spotless and I love it.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I just pulled one of the rear deck speakers from my 92 SC4 and it measures open on the ohmmeter. These things are not bulletproof. If you have access to a voltmeter (a $10 radio shack works fine), just put it across the speaker terminals and check for a signal when you have the volume turned up and a speaker attached. If you have signal and no sound, bad speaker. No signal, bad amp.

• 4 weeks later...
I think it would have been easier using a test lamp or voltometer. That way you can see where the current is or isn't. For example, if you find there is no current going into the amp, then obviously you have a faulty wire connection somewhere before the amp or possibly at the head unit.

This saves alot of trouble of taking apart stuff when it is really uneeded. :)

take a speaker that you konw works and connect leads from it to the leads of the "bad" back speakers, if the good one works--it is the speakers not the amp.

i did this to trouble shoot mine. both back speackers went out.