Newbie:reliability Of The Is300

LexusCobra

Hello, I'm new to the forum and recently got an 04 RX330 for family duty. While at the dealership, I noticed the IS300. I've always liked the look of them and after sitting in one, I'm considering getting one for a commuter. Are they reliable and how's the aftermarket availability? I'm new to Lexus but not to performance. I have a modded 03 Cobra that's getting more and more modded so I'd like to have something more comfy and economical for commuting duty yet still be able to mod it too keep the M3's, M5's and Z06's in line like the Cobra does. I'm hooked on Lexus and would like to expand my inventory.

Any info would be appreciated.

well you already know toyota reliability so lexus is even better

the is uses the supra engine so lo and behold the twin turbo set ups and much more body kits and anything else you can think of should be available

Really??? I had no idea it had the Supra engine. I love Supras especially the TT's or the single turbo'd ones. They are simply amazing.

While doing some research, I ran across Toyomoto and they had turbo kits but they were almost the price of a new IS300. Anyway, thanks for the info and keep'em coming.

My next car will be an IS300 or GS300 with full intentions of installing a single turbo set-up. Parts can be found used - deals can be struck. That high priced toyomoto deal is for a Stage 4.5 500+ horsepower killer. Built everything. You can have a turbo IS300 producing 350+ at the wheels that will walk on almost anything on the road for 7,000$ and less if you do the work yourself. Now a 460 hp Cobra - how much did that cost?

So far, the Cobra is at roughly $36000 total invested. Keep in mind that purchasing the Cobra involved no logic except the fact that I wasn't born the last time you could buy a Mustang with 390 HP out of the box. So you might say that I was buying a piece of history. This brings me to the IS300 issue. I'm trying logic now that I satisfied my impulse habit.

BTW, Isn't the IS300 in the mid to lower $30's? That would make it similarly priced but more expensive to up the performance.

03 Cobra: $34K + <2K = 460+ HP

03 IS300: $30-$34 + $12.5K (stage2)= 450 HP

Dont get me wrong, I really like the IS300 which is why I'm in the market. If I wanted to spend that much money on one of my cars, it would be a Kenne Bell blower for $4K and 600+ streetable HP and buy a grocery getter with the extra $$. I'd much rather have the IS300 and a 460 HP Cobra though.