Coolant Change On Sc400

RedRocket

:angry: Help Experts,

I spent most of yesterday drianing and refilling my radiator. The total capacity of my SC400 is 11.5 quarts, but I can only replace about 4 qt. at a time.

:wacko:

What is the trick to draining the entre system, remove the thermostat or what ?????

Thx

is the 11.5 qts the entire cooling system capacity or just the radiator capacity?

just draining the radiator does not drain the entire system.

sj

That is the problem. The 11.5 quart is the entire system. yet, I can only drain the radiator, without doing ???Something ????

How do I drain the block ????

My 93 LS 400 has engine block drains that have to be opened to drain the coolant that remains in the engine after the radiator has been drained.

I would assume that the SC has similar drains.

There is one on each side of the block.

I have decided to use the new Prestone green stuff. it advertises to mix with any coolant. My SC had red from T. As noted above I do not want to mess with the DexCool.

<_< I do add Redline Water Wetter. I became a believer in it when it reduced my Honda Goldwing temp.

I just need to find the rear plug.

:geek:

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum.

IMHO, the best way to flush the cooling system is to remove the thermostat, stick the garden hose in the radiator cap and disconnect the radiator hose and aim it in a pail. Run the car, wait till the water is clear, stop adding fresh water, wait till the water stops flowing out and stop the car. Should take about 30 seconds. A pain in the but to remove the thermostat but it only has to be done once a year. I've been doing this to my other car for 5 yrs now.

I'd stick with Toyota coolant IMO either the long life (red fluid) or the super long life (pink fluid) just to be safe.  But that's just me.  Good luck.  B)

:cheers:

• 10 years later...