Almost Finished W/bfi On 95 Sc400

knmaynard

Using printed out instructions from reepa.com (so far, have been incredibly helpful).

So I have the bottom piece in place, which routes the air up to the intake, and I have a question: where does the air come from???

I have sat here and looked at it for 20 minutes or so, with my cardboard template in place (headlight still out, of course), and I can't see where any air comes from throught that little triangle on the right. Behind the triangle is an open area that is sealed off. I know the next step is to prop open the bottom tray of this area so air can come in from the center grill, but this option is listed as "optional." I don't see how it can be.

I'm wondering if I should stick to the original source of air, which is below the light and coming in from the passenger side grill, a perfect and direct source of clean cold air. Would be pretty easy to route the air up and into the intake.

What do you guys think? I'm liking the left grill option, but I'm sure someone has noticed this also . . ? Keep in mind, it's a 400, so no intercooler to work around, just a nice big open box of air behind that left grill. I'm assuming I can't close off the vents in front of the tire because this provides cooling for my brakes, possibly?

Let me know what you think. I have to have my SC back together in a few days.

I have a pod filter and i went into the fender. Going to when i get the FMIC piping figured out, but you know what i mean. The optimal intake spot is going to be wherever pressure is highest so you can get the most into the intake. Usually this will be the first point where the car would meet on-coming air.

I think I'm going with the passenger side grill openings. I'm going to guide the air up and past the bottom of the headlight, and seal off that little triangle that goes to the front of the car. Air will travel a shorter distance from the outside, more direct, and I don't have to screw around with adjusting the front grill. I'm still going to seal off from the engine, use the template (with a few minor mods) that I got off planet soarer & reepa.com.

Will post pics when it's done.

Also going to invest in a stall converter, and that will probably be it for my mods, except for new shoes and maybe a ground effects package down the road.

I had been thinking the same thing....so far I havent had time to finish my half-!Removed! BFI, but when I do I rpobably go pass side grill way because I noticed same thing....direct stream of air!

Only concern i have is possibility of scooping water :wacko:

Are u planing on doing something to deter water from getting all the way up there?

I have tought about making some drain holes or something but I dont know what to do....and yes it is very possible to get water up there... it happened to my brother in a honda del sol...he had that cold air intake and went over a pudle and CRACK broke a rod in his engine and messed up the whole thing....strait to the dumpster....

Post some pics if u can! I probably wont get to mine for another 6 months! lol

I'm gonna ad my $.02 here....

I started work on my BFI the other night. Went to home depot and bought a sheet of "acrylic crystal clear".... thought it would look neat being able to see the egg cups under it. Big mistake, the acrylic felt ver flexible and I thought it would be a good medium to work with, it just spider cracks all over the place. Useless stuff.

I want to find that black textured stuff that buddy on planetsoarer.com used but I haven't been able to find it in Canada yet (haven't looked hard mind you).

I'm still torn between using the front grill or one of the side grills myself. Seems to me thr fron offers a larger volume of air supply, and better water/debris catching pre-filter. Rather than lower the mounting points I may just cut a scoop out of the lower black plastic piece.

I'm trying to figure out how to fully seal the intake from the engine side. There are several spots where it looks like I will need some high density foam cut to size, or some spots might be fillable with something else???

I took the snorkel off and my ECU had to relearn some of the lower maps because it was kinda bogging at low RPMs, it seems to have tuned itself better now and yesterday I actually got a solid squak out of the tires when it hit second. :) Methinks this engine is in good tune...

I'm using some foam sheet to seal off from the engine bay. I haven't bothered figuring out how to post pics yet, but will try to do so soon. I cut out a modified rectangle to fit over on the right side by the engine, but also cut a slit in the top edge that fit neatly in that bracket that looks like it is there just for holding on my BFI cover. That's where my pattern is different than planetsoarer's - I wrap it over top of the bracket, and also tuck it into the radiator brackets.

I'm nervous about the water comments, though. Wouldn't the filter stop water from just getting sucked up into the engine? A puddle shouldn't matter, since the grill is the leading edge of the car and only the tire makes the splash. Rain is a different matter, but it would have to be pretty darn heavy downpour, I would think. Or maybe follow someone throwing up water.

Had just my snorkel off while I was working on it and driving to work, but got nervous about sucking hot air in, since I don't have the cover cut out yet (still looking for the right material). The good thing about the snorkel is it reaches out past the engine bay under the light to get cooler air coming in from the left grill. That's what gave me the idea for running the intake there. Almost like ram air, I may even ductwork it up to the "cold air box", so long as I can come up with a rain/water solution.

Any more thoughts on water problems, anyone?

I used the passenger side grill for my ducting. I bought some black flex tubing (like 4" diameter). Found it in the garden section of home depot and bought the 90 degree transition piece ($5). Used some zip ties and radio backstraps to secure it and there you have it. I have driven it on a very rainy day and the filter still is perfectly dry.

In the orig BFI instructions there's a discussion explaining that taking air from under the headlight does not work as well as opening up the area in front of the radiator.

The ASLC page http://www.lexus.australia.as/entry.htm shows initial work on a CAI, with great improvement from under the headlight.

But Peter Scott's page http://www.planetsoarer.com/#BFI has the straight scoop (pun unintended).

i also taken my fluid dynamics courses in college (im a mechanical engineer) and there isn't much difference between the passenger grill location and the center opening. He also stated in planet soarer that the main reason they took that location is due to the active suspension components or intercoolers in the way.

"He also stated in planet soarer that the main reason they took that location is due to the active suspension components or intercoolers in the way."

Although they do have those considerations, the BFI1 page talks about the volume of pressurized air (with the lowered plastic radiator shroud) having a definite effect on WOT performance of the intake system. In fact, he blocks the area under the headlight, I assume to hold in the accumulated pressure. He says the center opening works far better than the snorkel he first built to get air from under the headlight.

Unless I'm confusing "under the headlight" and "passenger side grill opening." Are we talking about the same place?

Even so, unless someone takes some pressure measurements which differ from Peter's, I think I'd stick with his whole idea.

The whole picture is in all the articles, starting with the ASLC page then working through BFI1 - BFI3 . He also has a measurement of pressure loss if you don't block the battery side, mentioned earlier in this thread.

By the way, my ASLC link previously http://www.lexus.australia.as/entry.htm is the home page, then you have to go to the Technical Info tab, then "Air intake modification and report."

I do have a question for you 97+ guys - I assume the upper grill which we 96- guys don't have is for intake air, not radiator air. If so, that seems it would serve the same purpose as lowering the plastic shroud. Thoughts?

I have a 2000 SC300 that I am in the process of rerouting the snorkel intake from behind the bumper to the opening in the bumper just below the original loacation. I cut the end of the snorkel where it terminated behind the bumper and added some fabricated tubing and increasing the new inlet size to match the opening in the bumper. Seems like it should help bring "forced" cold air in.? Any thoughts on this mod?

You have to remember that the when he took those measurements that again the active suspension in in the way so there will be some pressure drop due to the lack of space and routing of the equipment. On US cars we dont have to deal with those components so there is a straight shot up to the filter. The space im talking about is just right of the pass. marker light. One 90 degree turn and right into the air filter. Using Peters way requires the air to go left 90 degree turn once past the radiator opening and another right 90 once past the headlight. Also the difference in height of the 2 openings are only about 3" in the vertical direction. His way is far superior than this one for the overseas sc's but not in the us version.

jcm3, I agree completely. It looks so obvious on the US 400's to go straight in and up from the passenger side grill opening. Looked at Peter Scott's info on the Australian site, and in summary his research supports running it from the passenger grill on the US 400. I've been out of town the last few weeks so haven't had a chance to work on it, should be able to do it tomorrow, and will post pics. Instead of a 90, I think I'm going to try to run it up at an angle with a slight bend, and may even cut out some of the metal (gasp!) directly in front of the stock box. Some wiring there, but it looks like a perfect spot to carve out. Have to check on structural issues, though.

I would also like more information on the BFD, running new ductwork to the throttle body. The Oz sight talked about this as well, but wasn't clear to me the gains from it.

• 1 month later...

knmaynard and jcm3,

any pics of your side grill bfi's to post?

I am also thinking of doing it the side ways ^^ in addition to my K&N cone intake.

I need to come up with a way to direct the air from the side grill to the filter without much loss in pressure. That means, bigger opening, modifying/extending the snorkel length, sealing off the whole air filter chamber, etc.