Driver's Seatbelt-please Help!

cel

• 1 month later...

Looking for replacement instruction for removing and installing driver's side seatbelt.

96 LS400

I have the same problem. When the car is on, there is no seatbelt tension - when I turn off the car, all the tension returns as normal. It seems more like an electrical problem than anything else. Let me know what you figure out.

Same problem here on '95 LS4. I've found that unbuckling the belt will allow the tensioner to tighten everything up; then, I quickly buckle back up. It's got to be something electrical because the second the buckle comes out of the holder, the belt flies back. I should probably look into this because if I get hit/hit someone(god forbid), the airbag would probably punch me in the face.

:cheers:

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that ALL cars have a lifetime warranty on safety belt parts.  You may want to phone the dealer and find out.

I also have 1990 Acura Legend LS and I know for sure that when the drivers side seatbelt failed to retract it was replaced for free ........... I clearly recall being happy at the time to find out that Acura is the ONLY manufacturer that does the lifetime warranty on seatbelts. :cries:

Now that you mentioned it- there was actually a HUGE recall on many Japanese makes from the mid 80s thru the early 90s. I think that Toyota was the only make that was not in the recall. It seems like a company made the seat belts for Honda, Nissan and Mazda (perhaps other Japanese models as well) during the mid 80s thru the early 90s. Something about "pieces breaking inside of the buckle" was mentioned. I thought it was there I read that all cars had lifetime safety belt warranty, due to safety issues, but I may be wrong. Toyota obviously used a different supplier for the safety belt systems. :unsure:

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that ALL cars have a lifetime warranty on safety belt parts.  You may want to phone the dealer and find out.

I also have 1990 Acura Legend LS and I know for sure that when the drivers side seatbelt failed to retract it was replaced for free ........... I clearly recall being happy at the time to find out that Acura is the ONLY manufacturer that does the lifetime warranty on seatbelts.:cries:

I'm with ya 98LS........had a 97 Acura 2.2CL with bad seatbelt replaced free- was told it has a lifetime guarantee......

That's pretty weak that Lexus won't take care of it 'Gratus"......It's the LAW to buckle up - one would think "the Law" would make it madatory free fix.

i believe the seat belt warranty on this car is 5 year or 60k miles.

i remember reading previous posting that replacing seat belt assembly will resolve issue at $150(part) per side. therefore, i am trying to get some instructions to on how to replace the unit and save some $$$ on labor.

• 5 months later...

I have a seatbelt tension problem with my 95 LS as well. Anyone have an update on a repair they have done? Thanks. Heres to not getting punched in the face by the airbag in the mean time. :cheers:

The belts suck. Mine was replaced no charge at 60,000 on my 91 ls400 but 40,000 miles later belt does not retract again. Called dealer and got the story of we replaced it once and you have an old car. So I will have to pay, but I know it will go out again. I bet if we do a poll we will find this is something a lot of LS owners are dealing with.

I have a seatbelt tension problem with my 95 LS as well. Anyone have an update on a repair they have done? Thanks. Heres to not getting punched in the face by the airbag in the mean time.    :cheers:

I had mine replaced in my '95 LS Jan of this year. I don't remember what the belt and retractor costed, but I think I was charged about an hours worth of labor. Definantly worth the $$-I think it was in the $275 range. My seat belt retracts now!!! :cheers:

Well some good news. Im getting a new seatbelt for free from the local Lexus dealer. I explained that I just bought the car and I guess they just wanted to show off that "quality" Lexus service I keep reading about. Im sure they think that will bring me back and Ill let them think that ;) . Free is good.

• 1 year later...