What Oil Do You Use In Your Lx?

PitbullLX964

Now that we have a topic about which gas we use, why not one about Motor Oil?

Which motor oil do you use, conventional or synthetic? What brand and what weight?

Also whats the mileage and if you have the records, what did your motor use previously?

We purchased the LX from Lexus of Greenwich, CT and had most of the secheduled mantainance done, and done there. Im not sure what they used as far as the oil, but when i switched to getting the oil done at a friends garage, I did notice they at least used a Toyota filter.

I switched over to Royal Purple Synthetic Oil 5W-30.

Now, what do you use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have an oil cooler

Uhhh... don't we all??

Mines got a nifty aluminum water cooler too... I call it a radiator. :D

Rookie

Thank you for making my point. Why are so many people geeked up over synthetic oil if they already have an oil cooler? Why do you think auto makers advertise that their vehicle comes from the factory with Mobil1 synthetic? Because Mobil1 pays them to.

Why are so many people geeked up over synthetic oil if they already have an oil cooler?

I think the answer is that even many Lexus owners don't necessarily have backgrounds in business and marketing and so they don't instantly recognize that products with cool sounding names and flashy packaging like "Royal Purple" motor oil, "Tornado" gas saver, Auto-Rx oil treatment, Quad electrode spark plugs, etc. are merely gimmick products. Further, they don't realize the factory original parts, lubes, filters and fluids are top quality, state of the art products, but without cool sounding names or packaging.

About 10 years ago, Toyota apparently decided the market for cool sounding and looking products was too good to pass up and so Toyota came out with its own brand of gimmick products known as TRD (Toyota Racing Development) products.

Thank you for making my point. Why are so many people geeked up over synthetic oil if they already have an oil cooler? Why do you think auto makers advertise that their vehicle comes from the factory with Mobil1 synthetic? Because Mobil1 pays them to.

Donno. Those that are "in the know" and have their oil analized, are impressed by the wear numbers and are comfortable extending there change intervals up to 7500/8000 miles, which offsets some of the extra cost.

If you were using synthetic and changing every 3000 to 4000, probably has little advantage.

Me... I use a guality mineral oil and change every 4000 to 5000, and sleep fine at night.

:cheers:

Rookie

Those that are "in the know" and have their oil analized, are impressed by the wear numbers and are comfortable extending there change intervals up to 7500/8000 miles, which offsets some of the extra cost.

But who are these folks that are "in the know" and peddle oil analysis as a way to convince the public to disregard the Lexus and Infiniti engineers and use their specialty synthetic lubes, filters and engine cleaners instead? Specialty product SALESMEN, that's who. Before the internet, these salesmen could only convince the 8th grade, poor white trailer park type folks to use their "miracle in a can" products like STP Oil Treatment and Marvel Mystery Oil. Then the internet came along and the salesmen realized that could reach millions more people who were middle class by using a scientific sounding sales tool called oil analysis. The salesmen know that even the middle class is not sophisticated enough to question the limitations of oil analysis and the safety of extending oil changes based on oil analysis alone.

So enlighten me to this grand conspiracy theory, because I don't quite follow the logic.

So when "consumer XYZ" sends his oil out after 5000 miles to an independent company for oil analysis, and the analysis comes back with a complete list of contents found in the oil (different metals present, detergents remaining etc...), that all these are just made up? And the fact that they put a comentary in there that says "based on this analysis, all you're wear indicators are well below the expect levels/tolerances, you could comfortably extent your change intervals to 7500/8000 miles", that this is somehow a ploy my Mobil products to sale MORE oil?

I don't quite get that. Why wouldn't they just say, "these numbers look great, keep up the good work there chief ;) ".

Don't get me wrong, nobodies dumb enough to think that there isn't marketing BS everywhere out there, but this seems to be stretching it a bit. What makes you so sure that Lexus or Infiniti's motives are any more genuine. Don't kid yourself, they just want your money too.

Rookie.