What Rpm At 70 Mph For Gs300?

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to post the same question.... so I will piggy back on this post

I have a 98 Gs300 when when I am at 70mph the rpm is registering close to 4000rpm's which I think is running toooooooo fast (drinking lots of gas).

1)When the car is idle/ stopped the rpm is 900, is that to high?

2)would a tune up correct the problem?

3) is this damaging my engine?

4) Is this something a toyota repair center can handle.( since the prices are sooooooo much better vs the lexus dealership) ?

Thanks In advance ;)

Sounds to me like your transmission is not upshifting from 4th to 5th. Make sure the lever is hard over in the D position. In 5th gear (D) 70mph is 2500rpm on my 2nd gen gs300 (UK model). Tickover depends on engine temp, whether you're in gear and with / without a/c switched on.

Here I am, a thousand miles from the hurricanes, and menaced by flying debris.

This morning I just left my mechanic - a brake pad replacement in my ’93 GS300, and thought to check the RPMs at 70mph. Get on highway 101. Speed up. Look down at the tach. About 2,600. Cool…

Look up.

Two sheets of four by eight plywood are lifting off the lumber rack of the pickup just ahead in my lane. Since we were all going seventy – even the plywood – the relative motion of this missile launch seemed slow, the geometric shapes flying in lazy circles.

Aimed at me.

My windshield, actually. This was so quick, so real. I juked, I braked, I yelled, and finally, with my lizard-brain, used body English.

The sheet that passed an inch over me was close enough to see that it was three-quarter inch. The other one seemed to pass beneath me (maybe I was airborne at this instant?) without a ripple.

I had to exit, stop and change my underwear, but the car escaped without a scratch.

Dennis

Lucky you !!!!!!!!!! :o did you buy a three pak ? Sounds like you were in the wrong place at the right time , any slower or faster you might not have written the reply or one of different content , GLAD YOU WROTE THE REPLY THAT YOU DID.:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to my previous post : I took my car to the toyota service center and the guy informed me I was pulling the gear shift to the left (4) over drive and I needed to be in (D) all the way to the right. I felt very crazzzzzzzzzy because I was driving in over drive and never new it....... I just knew my 98 gs300 was drinking lots of gas, now I can see a big difference in the gas mileage. Now I have to break the habit , every now and then I catch myself going to (4).

I feel sooooooooooo much better now..... I knew something wasn't right but could not put my finger on it.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday I checked rpms at 90mph in my '93 GS300 - and it read 3400.  That seems pretty good, and to extrapolate from that, it would seem like 5000 rpms might give me about 132mph... if I dare...

DDbrown:

I was wondering if you could tell me what the schedualed maintenance cost are for your GS? Like oil changes ect. i want the GS 430 2005 but i think the ES330 2005 might be cheaper to operate as far as oil changes. What do you think?

Also have you had any problemes with your GS?

Jeff

Well I am not the best person to ask in here but looking at it logically I would say you are 100% correct. The GS430 which is a V8 compared to a ES300 which is a V6 would take more oil and therefore would probably be more expensive for overall maintenance.

Another thing is that I just recently purchased this GS3 so I am not really sure what main. cost will be looking at but having a NA engine that my Supra has I can see myself doing most of the work on it myself. But for the major I will be making the trip to Lexus.

What I would do is just a quick call to the service dept at your local Lexus dealership and ask them how much the routine maintenances are for both vehicle types.

I hope you are not bassing your choice of car on how much the service cost are because although the ES300 is a nice ride that GS430 is plane and simple "The S#@t" aka very very good choice. LOL.. :P

Hope this helps a little... Im still green in here but I'm sure some of these guys in here may be in your area and may be able to give you a better idea. Except for those guys in the UK.. dont say anything but double what we pay.. LOL.. jk :D :D

and either way you go you are getting a sweet ride.

• 3 months later...
I was just about to post the same  question....  so I will piggy back on this post

I have a 98 Gs300  when when  I am at 70mph the rpm is registering close to 4000rpm's which I think is running toooooooo  fast (drinking lots of gas).

1)When the car is idle/ stopped the rpm is 900, is that to high?

2)would a tune up correct the problem?

3) is this damaging my engine?

4) Is this something a  toyota repair center can handle.( since the prices are sooooooo much better vs the lexus dealership) ?

Thanks In advance  ;)

I am not too sure what to say since I have no idea what engine speed you are running at - rpms is somewhat confusing. There are too many variables for me to deal with (revolutions per minutes) <_< How many revolustions in how many minutes? Maybe it is 6000 rpms @ 12000 revolutions for every 2 minutes.

Either way, 4000 rpm is a little high for 70. Is your overdrive off/in 4th? 4000 rpm should not damage your engine though, but I would think that it is something you need to have checked out. I would not go as far as to guess the problem without more info though. My GS3 (albeit first gen/ 4 speed) runs at about 2800 rpm at that speed (in 4th/OD)