Exhaust

I own a 2002 GS300 Sport Design. I have added an SRT intake and computer, new speakers and amps, 18" Giovanni as well as some other minor modifications. I am really not happy with the cars performance and would like to get just a little more from it. I had an L Tuned exhaust, but had it removed as I felt like I was driving a honda civic. I am considering adding Xerd headers to the car and a Borla cat back. Do you think this will really wake the car up, or should I just start looking for a 430, as it doesn't seem practical to spend $7000 an a turbo or supercharger. Would also appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Tony, first off Welcome to LOC..

Okay here we go, I also have a 02 SportDesign and I'm also trying to get that I6 to move like a V8.. But I can't get a 430 because my insurance co. wants over13 grand a year to cover me.. I that's the reason why I went with the 300, but I always had plans on getting boost..

Now when you said Borla cat-back, are yo sure they make a cat-back for the GS?? I know they make just the mufflers for our cars and they sound almost identical to the L-Tuned.. But anyway, to get the low-end getting up you'll need to get a high-stall speed torque converter, that right there I know will make you very happy.. Also you can change out your pulleys for smaller lighter ones and also your exhaust cam gear.. With all that and your SRT intake w/ race ecu and a cat-back system I think that for a NA 3.0 you'll be amazed.. I hope this helps and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask...

You are correct in regard to the borla exhaust, I was thinking of an Apexi catback and the xerd headers. any idea as to the the amount of sound produced by the apexi, ie am i going to be able to stand it. I like the idea of a torque converter, but from what I understand it will void my warranty.

If anyone wants a sound clip of a 2002 GS 300 with a GReddy EVO on it just PM me with your e-mail address. On all of the 300 with cat backs, i have never seen one that is quit. The only time i have seen a 300 that was not loud was when the car had just rear mufflers. Anyway, i will send the sound clip to whom ever wants it. and yes it is kind of loud. Just as a note, most companies that make the exhaust systems are designed for the 8cyl. models.

• 1 year later...

well about the exhaust i have an APEX-i world sport catback system and it's not like those hondas rolling aroung in town (loud and raspy) but it sounds more like an mellow but agressive smooth sound kind of a smoothed out ferarri kind of sound

as far as performance you will lose bottom end torque just like with other cat-back systems because they decrease back-pressure which makes torque (until2800~3000rpm) but you will really pick up power in the topend of the rpm range.. and when you're going fast. for example on the interstate going 80mph it feels a whole lot more responsive....

i hope this helps

The diff between a stock gs3 and gs430 is unreal. Gs 430 is Quiet and pulls hard.

Even a stock 98+ gs400 would probably do you right for the amount you would put in a gs300 and still be slower than a stock 430 or 400.

I love my 430 and I test drove about 5 gs300s(2000,three2001s and a brand new gs3).

It also seemed to me like the 2000 gs3 was faster than the 01s.

The first 430 I drove I bought. $27000 for an 01 w /22,000 miles.

Just my opinion

• 6 years later...

I have a Tanabe catback...but it's not really a catback. when the parts came, it only had the parts from the resonator-back.

sounds really good though. I would guess it would become quite loud without the resonator.