What Is The Latest Navigation Dvd?

I have a 2004 ES330 with Navigation and am wondering what the latest DVD version is. The DVD disc, that I currently have has a capital "D" in the upper right hand corner of the disc. The DATA version says 3.2. Is there anywhere that one can keep track? :unsure: I can't find anything on Lexus parts Web Sites.

I ask, because, I just found that I needed to get a new Navigation DVD for my wife's fairly new Jeep Liberty Limited Edition. :huh:

Call a friendly dealer salesman, OR go into a dealership when the 2005s are delivered and ask to see one with a NAV system. Check it out yourself. Chances are that it will still be 3.2 until mid-way in the model year. That was the case this last year.

There is a difference in the age of the raw data between brands, AND there is a BIG difference in the software compared to routing programs like MS Streets and Trips. My opinion is that Toyota is concerned more with the points of interest (POI) than with the routes. The POI may be 100% certified on the DVD you get for your Lexus -- and that takes time for them to get and corroborate. Therefore the routes are further behind than on the routing programs you can buy for a laptop or desktop computer.

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a lexus dealership in NY, and we just started selling the 05' ES330's lots of great improvments! The navi discs are now ver. 3.3 we have a few instock. If you guys would like I can get my hand on 1 or 2 copies for $250, and the disc works in all our Lexus's dvd based navigations.

When you guys actually get the 3.3 version, please let us all know if they come with new instructions .

The new ver. 3.3 discs do not come with instructions. They are self explanatory, and function the same way as your older version dvd navi discs.

Here's what I have been told...

Yesterday, I e-mailed a copy of this thread to www.lexus-parts.com and I said: "I have a 2001 LS430 with navigation system DVD "Data 2000 ver. 1" and I want to get the 2005 DVD. When will the 2005 DVD be available?"

Darrel Diller at www.lexus-parts.com e-mailed me back saying: "Use the following link:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=93

I replied saying, "Thank you for your response, but the link you sent me is for the 2004 DVD. Do you know when the 2005 DVD will be available?"

I went on to explain, "I'm confused by something I read at the Lexus Owners Club (USA) Forum. One person said, "A new version is coming out in October per the dealer. I just bought the 2004 ES300 and now I will have to update next month." Then another person said, "I work for a Lexus dealership in NY, and we just started selling the 05' ES330's lots of great improvements! The Navigation discs are now ver. 3.3 we have a few in stock. If you guys would like I can get my hand on 1 or 2 copies for $250, and the disc works in all our Lexus's DVD based navigations."

I said, "Darrel, I notice they are talking about ES330 DVD's (whereas I have a 2001 LS430 vehicle) but this raises two questions in my mind:

1) If the 2005 DVD's for the LS430's are about to be released, then I wouldn't want to purchase the older 2004 DVD's -- I would want to get the newer 2005 DVD's. Do you know when the 2005 DVD's will be available?"

-and-

2) If the 2005 Navigation discs for the ES330 are now available, then is the gentleman correct who said: "The 2005 ES330 disc works in all our Lexus's DVD based navigations"? Does that mean I can get one of those 2005 DVD's and use it in my LS430?"

Darrel Diller replied: "Please disregard what everyone else is stating or implying. The link I sent you is for the Navigation Update that has not been released yet. The information in the link was received just last Thursday directly from Lexus. The release date will be October 10th. I know it sounds confusing. That's because Lexus refers to their DVD update released in October of 2004 to be the '2004 Update' whereas any Lexus model vehicle produced in August of 2004 or later is referred to as a '2005 model'."

Darrel said, "This is what I can do; If you are willing to post the following link: http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=93 on the Owners Club website, then I will offer those members who are interested in this new update: Simply enter the promotional code of "ver04" to obtain this update for $245.00."

Thus, I am posting this information for those of you are interested.

Darrel says, "I have already had 5 orders from Club Lexus members just since I updated this information last Thursday. Should you have any further questions in the meantime, please feel free to contact me directly at (866) 770-3099 ext: 2826."

Quick question -

I have a 2003 GS 430 - I have added tons of addresses and marked points in the 10 months I have had it.  If I upgrade to this latest Nav DVD, do I loose all my info?

thanks,

Kiriakos

I talked to the Lexus dealer that is offering the DVD update at $244, he said "Oh no, of course not!" So I ordered it.

Kiriakos

We really want to know the answer, so when anybody actually does upgrade to the latest, please post here.

Since retaining them can only be done by writing to memory of some kind, that may be the case. I do not think the units have the hardware to write to the DVDs.

I'l know for sure in October when I receive mine, but if a Lexus dealer tells you that the settings are retained, I got to believe they have been there done that many many times and it's not going to be a problem :)

We really want to know the answer, so when anybody actually does upgrade to the latest, please post here.

Since retaining them can only be done by writing to memory of some kind, that may be the case. I do not think the units have the hardware to write to the DVDs.

I'l know for sure in October when I receive mine, but if a Lexus dealer tells you that the settings are retained, I got to believe they have been there done that many many times and it's not going to be a problem :)

I don't have my manual handy, can anyone out there give me the quick and dirty on how you actually install the DVD in the car (I have an RX-300). Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually updated their nav dvd to the new 2004 Version? If so have you noticed any difference other than updated map data. Have the points of interest increased over prior years....I currently have the 2002 version in my 2003 SC430. Also has anyone upgraded their unit to voice input? I understand that there is a mike switch combo available that simply plugs into the back to the unit and allows voice imput. Does anyone know about this? Thanks........Dave in Florida :pirate:

I got a letter from Lexus a few days ago which stated that the 2004 models of the Nav system can get a free one-time upgrade... Offer good through Dec 2005..

It says the dealer will need about an hour to do the upgrade... I thought it was just a matter of inserting a new DVD.. why would it require a dealer at all?

This raises 2 questions for me:

1. Will the upgrade be more than just the map info itself?? Will it also upgrade the hardware to the same as the newer versions which have the voice recognition?

2. Would it be better to wait until late-2005 to do this, since the offer is valid through then? Maybe to get the latest-and-greatest software version?

I got a letter from Lexus a few days ago which stated that the 2004 models of the Nav system can get a one-time upgrade... Offer good through Dec 2005..

It says the dealer will need about an hour to do the upgrade... I thought it was just a matter of inserting a new DVD.. why would it require a dealer at all?

1.  Will the upgrade be more than just the map info itself?? Will it also upgrade the hardware to the same as the newer versions which have the voice recognition?

2.  Would it be better to wait until late-2005 to do this, since the offer is valid through then?  Maybe to get the latest-and-greatest software version?

Whoa... wait a second. The existing DVD's are for pre-2004 Navigation systems only. As far as I've been told, there aren't any updates yet available for 2004 or later Nav-equipped vehicles. And yes, if and when one becomes available, it should only require inserting a new DVD. Keep in mind not all Lexus owners have the skills to locate the DVD player (in the trunk, etc), unscrew the mounting screws, tilt the player up, unlock and eject the existing DVD, insert the updated DVD, watch the LCD screen for instructions, replace the screws and trunk mats, etc.

I own a 2004 LS and haven't gotten any letter from Lexus about an available update! What model and year of Lexus do you have?

Whoa... wait a second. The existing DVD's are for pre-2004 Navigation systems only. As far as I've been told, there aren't any updates yet available for 2004 or later Nav-equipped vehicles. And yes, if and when one becomes available, it should only require inserting a new DVD.

The letter states clearly that this update is for 2004 through early 2005 models. The reason for the free update is multiple "anomalies" in the accuracy of the system. Apparently, the 2004 version was less accurate than the 2003 version, so they're updating us at no cost.

I haven't yet called Lexus or a dealer to find out the details...

Keep in mind not all Lexus owners have the skills to locate the DVD player (in the trunk, etc), unscrew the mounting screws, tilt the player up, unlock and eject the existing DVD, insert the updated DVD, watch the LCD screen for instructions, replace the screws and trunk mats, etc.

The 2004 models (at least the model I have) have the DVD in the dash, not the trunk.. Nothing to unscrew or take apart, just hit the "open" button on the face.

I own a 2004 LS and haven't gotten any letter from Lexus about an available update! What model and year of Lexus do you have?

I have a 2004 ES330 with Mark Levinson Audio/Navigation package which I purchased in Dec of 2003.

Just upgraded my 2003 GS430 with the new 2004 disc. Took about 2 minutes to pull off the plastic cover (velcro strip attached), and hit the eject button with the engine running.

I notice no difference in operation, although it did tell me the software was upgraded, and I couldn't revert to my 2003 disc. Some updated map information seems to be the biggest thing, but the lag time in road changes making to the DVD seems to be 18-30 months.

I don't have my manual handy, can anyone out there give me the quick and dirty on how you actually install the DVD in the car (I have an RX-300). Thanks.

you remove the rear roight cargo area panel where the jack is stored. the dvd player is attached there. you slide open the door and push eject button and remove pold then you slide in the new one. i would like to buy your old one if want to sell it.

I got a letter from Lexus a few days ago which stated that the 2004 models of the Nav system can get a free one-time upgrade... Offer good through Dec 2005..

1.  Will the upgrade be more than just the map info itself?? Will it also upgrade the hardware to the same as the newer versions which have the voice recognition?

2.  Would it be better to wait until late-2005 to do this, since the offer is valid through then?  Maybe to get the latest-and-greatest software version?

I got the same letter. I'm going to be scheduling my appointment tomorrow. I have an '04 ES330 and I tried the other '04 update that everyone else had and it didn't work. I called to confirm that this update would work in my vehicle since the other one did not and they said that it would.