6-spd...is It Worth It?

I have decided not only am i buying a turbo kit from non-turbo.com this christmas but i want to swap out my 5-spd for the getrag. but the question is is it really worth it? i want to attempt this myself, i know that i will need to bang out the bottom of my car if i am not mistaken to make room...any other custom work that i should know about??any one ever attempt this project themselves before?? and can i use my same driveshaft or must i upgrade that and the diff?

if you already have a 5 speed id wait at first to see how you like it but i would go 6 speed eventually it shouldnt be much custom work so it really wont be a huge amount of money unlike me ill have to go from auto to 6 speed it will take me a long while to get the money 4 that <_<

i dont think that you need to pound out the tunnel to fit it in and the drive shaft needs to be lengthened.. and the question is, is it worth it to you. meaning do you want it for the "just because" factor or are you really going to be putting more than 450 hp to the ground, in which case you need it to hold that much power reliably.

Yeah i hear that the 5-spd will hold up fairly well in the 400-500hp range so i will keep it for now, it is just another project i would like to do...i get bored sometimes lol... besides it will have more pull than the 6-spd...gotta love them gear ratios!

Depending how much horsepower you are want will help determine if you need the 6spd. At at around 430rwhp my 5spd held up just fine for awhile. When I did the rest of my mods I went with the 6spd to handle the power.

I did in fact have to pound out the tranny tunnel on my 93, not sure on the 95+'s

Chris

soarer 479 thanks i love mkiv it is the best site for mods...forgot about that one, the kit i am getting comes with the pte 55 trim turbo, and a nice 3mm headgasket so i plan on runing stock 8lbs, they say u get about 320 hp to the wheels but we will see about that. but i do plan on running high boost from time to time..safely of course after a few mods but i just wanna make sure that a 6 spd is a good and effective investment. thanks for the help gentelman...i have made my decision....getrag come to papa!!