Dashboard Noises

cabd

Hello, I have an RX 300 and lately I hear noises emanating from the dashboard everytime the car is on. It sounds like when the CD Changer switches between CDs. I remove the cartridge form the player, but the sound still persist.

I am starting to believe that it has to do with the AC system and one of the dampers is failing. Does anyone experience something similar. I have not gone to the dealer yet because I wanted to see if this is a common failure.

Thanks

:unsure:

My 1999RX does the same thing as you described. I am clueless also. It does sound like the CD changer, but it isn't. Let me know if you find out what is causing the extremely irritating noises.

• 6 years later...

95% chance it's your air mix servo starting to fail. The servo can be removed and cleaned (lot's of instructions in Lexus forums) and will work correctly and quietly for a period of time before failing again. A new servo from SewellParts.com is about $125 shipped.

95% chance it's your air mix servo starting to fail. The servo can be removed and cleaned (lot's of instructions in Lexus forums) and will work correctly and quietly for a period of time before failing again. A new servo from SewellParts.com is about $125 shipped.

Not able to find any instructions on the servo removal and cleaning.

Could you happen to know a link to a specific post in the forum?

Thanks,

The description you provide sounds like the ticking sounds that were coming from behind the dash of my RX300 about a year ago. Search this site for "air mix servo" and "mode servo (air outlet)". There are three behind the dash (the last is the air inlet servo). The first two I mentioned are right together behind the glove box. They can be replaced without draining the coolant or AC refrigerant. Most on this site recommend replacing both since they generally get the same amount of wear. I have attached a document that will help if you plan on doing it yourself. The part numbers for the servos are:

mode servo 87106-30371 parts.com

air mix servo 87106-30340 parts.com

Good luck!

Air Conditioning (AC) file.pdf

BTW, if you plan to clean and reuse the servos be sure to make a note of the arm position prior to disassembly. I cleaned mine first. Worked for a while then started noise again. I guess its best to do it right the first time. It is too difficult to have to repeat.

I just joined this site so I could reply to this post and access the attachment posted above. I have owned a 1999 RX300 since February 2002. Have had that clicking sound directly behind the radio part of the dash intermittently for years. It would never make the sound at the dealer and I never found an answer. Thank you all. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether it only makes the noise when the AC is on. I don't believe that's the case so I presume it's the air mix servo. It's been probably seven years and now I know!

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue. Have never managed to figure out what it is, and am concerned that it's something I should be fixing now before it causes problems!

Here's the best link to fixing this problem that I've seen. I just did the repair last week and it was fairly straight-forward, though, as usual with this vehicle, it'll be easier to do if you're a contortionist. Seriously though it is doable task for most folks.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/281294-air-mix-servo.html

I just cleaned my servos and re-lubed with silicone

So far it has worked quite well/