Extended Warranties

Arizona

Just purchased my folks 2001 RX 300 with 48,000 miles --- thinking about buying an extended warranty... I have talked to the Lexus Dealer and they seem to want $1,600 for three years up to 70,000 miles... I drive less than 10,000 miles a year and would prefer a five year 100,000 mile plan...

Your thoughts, comments and experiences with Lexus's extended warranties and other companies, would be appreciated...

Thanks

I got the extended warranty with our 2004 RX 330, after seeing that seals and gaskets were not only covered, but could very likely pay for the cost of the coverage. I asked the dealer if they'd give us the 100K plan for the cost of the 70K plan, and they said OK. I don't know if you have that option available on a used one apart from the dealer, though.

Seals and gaskets (like around windows, etc.) are the most likely failure points on these cars. Make sure they're included in whatever you buy.

I didn't buy the extended warranty with my RX330 but I did buy it from my credit union. They gave me a better price. The dealership wanted $1800, for the extended warranty. My credit union sold a 7 year warranty for much less.

However, I did see that these F&I managers at dealerships tend to want to milk you for all you've got. This past weekend, I went to a local dealership to purchase a toyota, and at first he offered it to use at about $1,500. After seeing that I wasn't much interested in his offer, I slashed his price down to $1,000. Their job in the F&I office is to get you to spend, spend and spend more.

I was actually surprised to see the price my dealer offerred for the extended warranty. I had priced it at other places prior to going in, so I was prepared to talk them down closer to that number, but to my amazement, their price was already pretty competitive (I think around $1100), and I got the 100K for the price of the 70K, so I felt pretty good about it. I had gotten a great deal on the car already, so I was a little surprised they did that.

It is definitely a good idea to comparison shop on those BEFORE you go to the dealership - knowledge gives you bargaining position.

For me it paid off. Bought RX300 (2000) new and the Lexus Plat 100k warranty for $1100.

I've easily had 3x that amount of work done since, all free.

The dealer likes to do service, even if its paid by Lexus. So they were awesome on getting parts/labr covered by Lexus.

PDS

Based on my experiences with the 2000 RX300, I'll guess the following:

1. Transmission repairs

2. Various sensor replacements

3. Exhaust manifold replacement

4. Timing belt/water pump/seals & bearings package replacement

• 1 month later...

Dear Lexus Owner,

Extended warranty is expensive. I had it for my last Lexus LS400. But, it is well worth it if you paid for a reasonable price. You don't have to buy it from the same dealer when you get your NEW Lexus. I shopped and negotiated before. Now, I find a dealer who can offer Toyota-Lexus Extended warranty for a reasaonble price (about 40% off the Toyota Financial's listed price) without negotiation. Contact Mr. Troy Dietrich, Business Manager at

http://www.toyotaofgfld.com/finance.html

GOOD LUCK on saving $$$ for your Lexus.

Spend the extra cash for the Lexus extended warranty & STAY clear of the 'aftermarket' companies....they are a joke & many of them are out of business because of their past practices......get the warranty that's in fact backed by the automaker that made your car to begin with (assuming you purchased your RX from a Lexus dealer). :)

:cheers: