Which Transmission Fluid?

IlyaIlya

posted by lexusfreak for general information for others.

"As for the amount of fluid, that depends as well......there are at least 2 ways of doing it. You can do a basic 'drain & fill' which is just taking out the tranny plug & letting the fluid drain out (only about 30% of the old fluid or 3 - 4.5 quarts is what you need is changed however, the rest is still in the transmossion torque converter). Or you can find a shop with a state of the art 'transmission fluid flushing machine' that takes 100% of the old fluid out & put's in 100% of the new fluid......this what I did as I'm very fussy about the fluids I use in my car so I needed about 18 - 20 quarts (2 -3 are used as a 'cleaner' when your flushing the old fluid out). This process is the best in my opinion but it is more expensive (but so is a new tranny on a Lexus ES!). At the same time you get a 'transmission filter kit' which is mainly a new gasket to put around the transmission pan as these items don't last forever so over time they will leak from being weathered.......I call it preventitive maintenance. Some argue this is overkill & could even damage the tranny with the flushing machine........as long as the shop knows what they are doing (many Lexus dealers carry them but not all so call around). My tranny has never shifted smoother.....I needed toyota type IV fluid. I hope this helps & good luck!

"

I use Amsoil ATF in my 98 and works mint. Passes Dexron III and all the others.

It cost me $60 for all the fluid, filter and gasket. Took about 30 minutes.

Not starting a war, but I find it VERY hard to believe an ES holds 18 to 20 qts.

My old diesel truck (1-ton F350) only held 19 & that tranny was 3X has big as an ES. The pan held over 9 qts.

My ES drains 3.7 qt and another 0.5 for diff. The TC maybe holds 7 to 8 (if you drain it manually). Still do not get it.

When using the flushing machine (can't remember the name of the thing now) they have to use several qt's to help clean out the entire system (one can varify this by giving several places a call that do this work - most places are not use to a customer bringing in their own fluids mine you) in order for it to be flushed out completely......not starting a war & I've not performed this service myself, but my mechanics were the ones that gave this info......I needed 17.5 litres total so I bought 18....I have a half litre left over in case of any top up......I was there to watch them perform the service so I know they used everything up & 'didn't sneak any' fluid for themselves or anything & my tranny level is perfect. B) I'm only going by my totals for my 01 ES. B) my statement never said the total capacity was of the trany was 18 - 20qt's.....I said you need 18 - 20 qt's to do the complete flushing service ;)

:cheers:

posted by lexusfreak for general information for others.

"As for the amount of fluid, that depends as well......there are at least 2 ways of doing it. You can do a basic 'drain & fill' which is just taking out the tranny plug & letting the fluid drain out (only about 30% of the old fluid or 3 - 4.5 quarts is what you need is changed however, the rest is still in the transmossion torque converter). Or you can find a shop with a state of the art 'transmission fluid flushing machine' that takes 100% of the old fluid out & put's in 100% of the new fluid......this what I did as I'm very fussy about the fluids I use in my car so I needed about 18 - 20 quarts (2 -3 are used as a 'cleaner' when your flushing the old fluid out). This process is the best in my opinion but it is more expensive (but so is a new tranny on a Lexus ES!). At the same time you get a 'transmission filter kit' which is mainly a new gasket to put around the transmission pan as these items don't last forever so over time they will leak from being weathered.......I call it preventitive maintenance. Some argue this is overkill & could even damage the tranny with the flushing machine........as long as the shop knows what they are doing (many Lexus dealers carry them but not all so call around). My tranny has never shifted smoother.....I needed toyota type IV fluid. I hope this helps & good luck!

"

Agreed. This is one job where cutting corners doesn't make sense. Either do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

Personally, I'd probably stay with Toyota transmission fluid. That way you KNOW that it meets Toyota/Lexus specs. A third party fluid could be better - or it could be worse. If you go third party, make sure you get a strong guarantee that it's equal or better, preferably in writing. I'd only accept this from a shop I trust and a brand of transmission fluid I trust.

Sure, but both ways are 100% fine. I asked my buddy that owns a tranny shop and he even stated changing the tranny filter at each interval in not needed.

Also said as long as the manufacture of the fluid meets or exceeds the proper spec it is fine. My in-laws own a shop in CT and say the same thing.

Guarantee's are only as good as the paper it is written on. It is like when you buy ANY car they ask you if you want to buy the extended warrenty. I say, do I need it with THIS car? Is your car built that badly that I need it? If it is built correcty you should not need it. I had a dodge sales guy push it and I left and said keep the junk if you push the warrenty that bad....

It is like my GSX-R1100 it was in the shop three times within the first month when I got it and never since then (that was 10 years ago). Did not need the warrenty. Same with my Kubota BX22.

I asked my buddy that owns a tranny shop and he even stated changing the tranny filter at each interval in not needed.

The transmission filter shouldn't need replacement......only cleaned as it's a screen mesh type that is re-usable. :) If your doing a 100% fluid change it might be a wise idea to clean it as you would be changing the gasket at the same time.

:cheers: