What Kind Of Gasoline Do You Buy?

DimaDC

I was told that it is OK to use regular gas for Landcruiser/LX 470. Is that true?

Wife has a 99. Manual says premium. Here is what I tell her to do, every other fill up to use premium. Fuel gets mix up that it average out as mid grade 89. No problem and we been doing this for over a year seen we got her ride. B)

I still need to confirm this with a few more tanks of gas but I think my 2002 LX is getting 18.1 MPG using premium vs. 16.2 MPG using middle-of-the-road 89 octane gasoline. I need to compare some more, but it seems to pencil out. If this is true, I can get an additional 19 miles for every 10 gallons of gas for only an additional one dollar in Seattle/Tacoma premium prices. Seems like it would be cheaper to go high octane in the long run as the additional miles outweighs the extra cost for premium. The truck probably runs better too?? Has anybody else run the numbers?

Skyman,

In all fairness, the 18.1 MPG was calculated primarily on highway miles. I'm sure that if I was driving around town, they wouldn't have been as favorable. I've only had the truck about a month, but I've been up in the 18 MPG range from other tanks of gas I've calculated. I'm not doing anything special, but I am very careful on how I press the accelerator and always look ahead far enough to be able to respond in kind on the pedal for optimum mileage. Gas mileage is sort of hang-up I have and I track it pretty closely. I'm an accountant, so I'm constantly doing the numbers. I'll keep the forum posted on any new developments.

Victor ;)