Cigarette Lighter Power?

DB S600

What's up everyone...

Has anyone heard of a way to have continuous power to the cigarette lighter power outlet, even while the car / ignition is shut off? I ask because I had a GMC Yukon Denali before the LX and I was able to charge my cell phone even while the car was shut off (and for the record, it did not kill the battery).

Thanks!

well i think it's possible if u connect it, i guess! :unsure: cuz when i rented a town & country before, i recharged my cell the whole time, even with ignition off BUT not all of the outlets were connected to the battery, not to the ignition. :blink:

I've added additional outlets on my LX 450 (12 volt). It's a pretty easy/straightforward job. You'll need a 10 or 12 guage wire to connect to the battery. If you're only adding 1 additional 12-volt recepticle (i.e. "cigarette lighter-type" power outlet you can add an in-line fuse. When I added my outlets, I added 2 -- since I was already doing the work...

You can get another outlet (recepticle) from www.westmarine.com. Search for Marinco. Here's the link:Marinco 12 volt receptile

There are other brands, but this is the one I used. You only need the recepticle, not the plug.

I added my 12-volt recepticles in the cargo area (to power a portable TV/VCR and an ARB fridge.

You could easily install one of these on the center consol or just under the dash on the transmission consol. The installation seems more complicated than it is.

Let me know if you need more detailed installation instructions -- I can draft something up.

DougJohn: Thanks for the great advice! It seems like a definite option for me. If you have the time, I would greatly appreciate installation directions. If you don’t, could you possibly point me in the direction of where to find such instructions? Also, do you think there is any way to wire the existing in dash 12 volt receptacle? Thanks so much for your help.

I'll work on the full write up for adding 12V outlets.

To change your current lighter to go full power, you'll need to do the following:

Power from the Battery:

1. You'll want to disconnect the ground (negative/black) cable from the battery while you do all this work.

2. Get aprox 20 feet of wire to power your cig lighter. You'll want a 12 or 14 gauge wire for this. You won't use all the wire, but it would suck to be just a little short in the end.

3. It's not necessary, but it would be smart to add an inline fuse to the this wire. I added mine close to the end connected to the battery.

4. Crimp a terminal connector to the end of the wire and connect it to the others already connected to the positive terminal on the battery.

5. Route the remaining wire along the side of the engine compartment and alongside the firewall. Use zip ties to secure it along the way.

6. Enjoy a cool beverage of your choice. You're almost done.

7. There are 2 points of entry through the firewall -- pick one. I used the grommet on the passenger side of the firewall -- it's easy to spot and should have a little nipple available for you to cut through.

8. Route the wire though the grommet -- locate the wire inside the cab of your LX.

9. Route the wire under the dashboard to the cig lighter.

10. Crimp a suitable spade connector to the end of this wire. It should match the one already connected to the cig lighter.

11. Locate the power supply/wire currently connected to your cig lighter. Disconnect this wire and tape if off to prevent it from contacting anything metallic - wrap this well.

12. Leave the black/negative wire on the cigarette lighter. (I'm assuming the ground will be black. If you're not sure, all your own ground wire).

13. Connect the power supply to the cig lighter.

14. Reconnect the black/negative wire on the battery.

15. Test -- without turning on the ignition, plug something into the cig lighter -- if you have power, it worked.

General Disclaimer: Before doing any of this, make sure you investigate the connectors, wires, etc. already in place. I haven't reviewed my electrical diagram, so the colors of the exisitng wires might not match the colors I provide. Make sure you scout it out first!

I personally don't like messing with existing stuff on my rig -- I would add a new outlet, but this SHOULD work. Essentially, you would be converting the cig lighter recepticle to a constant/always-on power supply.

Good luck.

dougjohn:

thanks for your help! i'll definately give it a go and post my results, hopefully getting around to making the mod soon. when i do, i'll also let you know the drink of choice, im thinking an ice cold corona. as a matter of fact, i think i'll have one now.

thanks again!