Wheel And Tire Size

sashabeau

I have a 04 gs300, I want to put a new set of wheels 18x8 and 18x9 tire size is245-45-18 and 275-40 -18 will it fit without rubbing,and also will I have other problems I know 245-40-18 and 275-35-18 will work.Just trying to get a little more rubber,and not to harsh a ride Thanks sashabeau.

Yes, what are the offsets of the wheels?

Although the tires will fit, I'd be much more comfortable seeing the tires on 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 rims. I almost did the same thing you are doing on my 18x8, 18x9.5 rims. I backed out because there was just so much rubber (looks-wise). I went to 18s to get a bit more aggressive look and the larger sidewalls took that away. this is a personal preference though.

You ride should be softer though. i can't remember where the borderline is (40 series, 35 series, ...) but many tire manufacturers make low-profile wheels with stiffer sidewalls. This makes sense since you have so much less sidewall, something has to help protect the rim integrity/wheel shape. The bad side of this stiffer sidewall is the stiffer ride.

In addition, since there is less sidewall rubber, many owners with low-profile tires run higher PSI in their wheels. Again, this helps protect the rim but at the cost of a stiffer ride.

It is the price you pay, though, to look good. ;)

Oh, one more thing. With the tires you are running, you will be larger than spec. In addition to the slightly off speedo/odometer, you may rub when turning the wheels depending on how low you are. Also depending on your drop, your tires may also rub against the top of the inner wheel well if there is a big enough dip in the road to cause a big compression of your springs.

Good luck.