My Car Stops Easier In Neutral...

to me, it seems the car brakes easier when i put the car in neutral. when i have to come to a complete stop from like 35-40 mph, there's a somewhat heavy brake feel. at first i thought it was because the es300 is a nose-heavy car with so much weight shifting to front when braking. then i thought maybe i want to slow done quicker than my engine wants to so it makes sense to disconnect the engine from the tranny. im not sure about any wear and tear when engaging neutral at speeds of 30+. while decelerating, i flick the lever back to drive when im at below 10mph while im applying the brake. i do this becuase from a stop, it takes like 1 second for the tranny to hook up with the engine. and when i shift into D while decelerating, i dont feel the tranny connecting to the engine so it feels seemless.

You're getting into a bad habit by driving your car this way! Firstly, it's not good for the transmission because the clutches are engaging and disengaging constantly so naturally these parts will wear more quickly. Secondly, it's dangerous to have your car free wheeling in neutral while decelerating since you don't have the engine braking to help stop the car. Think about it......brake parts are cheaper than transmission parts! :)

Alan

auto tranny don't have engine braking properties

( unless held in a lower gear)

as the engine keeps the throttle open as compared to a manual which closes the plate and causes the engine to slow the wheels

the tranny sounds like it is not behaving properly such as the throttle plate staying more open than needed ( higher rpms)

which causes more force to slow the car down

check one of the vacum lines

what does the car idle at when hot?

something related.....

How much of a toll does down shifting take on these cars ?

and alot of times i start from 1st gear..... then shift up to 2nd gear ... then put it into drive....

is it ok to shift on your own ? or is this still bad for the tranny?

just curious

Neil

auto tranny don't have engine braking properties

( unless held in a lower gear)

Sorry, you are very wrong about that!! Naturally the lower gear you have your shift selector set to the more engine braking you'll feel, but you still have some braking in Drive position. ;)

Alan

i am only wrong if you want to split hairs on what degree of reducing speed it has

you wouldn't lift your foot off the gas to slow a car down even slightly in an auto just to coast ( right ?)

but in a manual no matter what gearyou are in, it will slow the car much more

correct?

amf

that is why you don't refer to it as engine braking in an auto

and flipspeed if you want to manually change the gear selection you can the biggest toll on the car are the engine mounts

( mainly the dog bone)

when selecting the gear the tranny uses maximum pressure on the clutches for limited slippage

use the ect button if you want better shifting points for faster acceleration

hope this helps clarify

The following quote is from Lexus Corporation concerning the 1999 and above models Of ES300's.

The ES 300 adopts a newly developed high-torque-capacity electronically controlled automatic transmission, also a Lexus Division exclusive. Shift logic control adjusts upshift and downshift patterns for improved responsiveness when ascending hills and enhanced engine braking when descending inclines.

Alan

Yeah but you have to take that into context. Generally taking the foot off the accelerator won't provide enough, if any, braking to slow the car much at all, its generally the rolling resistance of the tires that slows you down here. Now, I've done a lot of mountain highway driving, and when descending a grade you MUST downshift if you want the engine to slow the car's descent. Letting go of the gas makes it go faster!

Neil: If you want to shift from 1 to 2 to Drive constantly I don't think it's going to do the transmission any good. If you want to do this for extreme acceleration on a steady basis, I definitely feel that'll shorten the transmissions useful life.

Alan

Simply put: If you drive a car hard it stands to reason that the parts will not last as long. Doing this, 1, 2, Drive is not considered normal driving. :)

Alan