Power Button?

Travieso~13

Yesterday while i was looking for a place to run my power cable through, i found a BUTTON under the Gas Pedal I read somewhere that this is a Power Button Whats the purpose of that button??? Will it affect anything if i press it? Can i remove the rubber cover since its held on by somekind of clip?

Thanks!!!!

This takes us back to a very old post. Apparently this button when depressed moves everything into wide open throttle. I posted a picture of it in the gallary, it should be on one of the early pages in the LS section.

To clarify:

This button is my favorite button to press. This is not the "power" button. The power button is located on the console next to the shifter. This other button under the gas pedal is linked to the transmission. It is depressed by the underside of the gas pedal. If you have never had this button click down while driving then you have never truly floored your car. There are 2 types of flooring the LS. The first type is when u "think" it is to the floor. This happens when you push the gas pedal down until it comes in contact with this button, but does not push it in. This is where the second type of flooring comes into play. If you push the pedal down just a little harder it will depress this button and will kind of "click" down. When this button is pushed it will simply have the tranny downshift to the lowest possible gear without red-lining your engine. The best way for you to try this is to drive at about 25-30mph and just STOMP on the gas, that way you'll be sure the button is pressed. The tranny will downshift all the way down to first gear resulting in a bit of a jerk (which will NOT cause any damage) and you will lunge forward with massive acceleration all the way up to 50mph (top speed for first gear). You will also notice if you go 25-30mph and don't push hard enough to press the button, the tranny will only downshift to second gear, resulting in slower acceleration.

So the short of it is that this button is only for downshifting as low as you can when you really want to haul a$$.

VB: this button is in no way linked to throttle linkage. only the transmission. to see for yourself: with your engine off, open your hood and peek out of the door so that you can see the throttle linkage under the hood. then push the gas to the floor slowly. the linkage will not move any farther when the button is clicked. full throttle is applied without clicking this button, this just sends a signal to the transmission to downshift even lower.

I hope this clears everything up.

interesting............i did not know that.........i was under the same impression that Denny was.

how did you find come across this information? is it in the manual?......if you have any type of article or write up about it i would love to read more about it.......

great post :cheers:

how did you find come across this information? is it in the manual?......if you have any type of article or write up about it i would love to read more about it.......

sorry but no....i am just blessed with a very mechanical mind and simply figured it out. a little experimenting and looking at what everything does and how it works and everything.

sorry :(

None of the cars I drive have this feature. I test drove a 92 325i and it had the same feature, I thought I had floored it and I was like wow this car has no pickup, where's the downshift so I turned and was driving normally and I really stomped it and I flet it click and then...power!! Never knew the LS had this, I'll have to try it when I test drive it again...or better yet, buy one!!

BTW, I regulary have the accord, ford escape, or chrysler t&c at the redline from flooring it!!! It doesn't hurt it, thats what the redline is for, to prevent it from being hurt!!

sorry but no....i am just blessed with a very mechanical mind and simply figured it out. a little experimenting and looking at what everything does and how it works and everything.

oh so its just your theory??

it isn't backed up by anything factual.

not that i doubt what you are saying in the slightest, i'm sure you

are exactly right........i just would like to know for sure.

well i dont have any hard or actual proof i can present. after i figured out what the button did, i went to work one day (johnson lexus) and asked my friend joey, a tech, if i was right. he wanted to know the same thing silver did.....where did i read it? after finally convincing him that i just figured it out he said "well damn, you got it."