Spare Tire

byohzrd

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the 2000 ES Platinum Series came with a full-size spare tire with a matching wheel? I had a bit of an "incident" with a curb which bent my rim slightly, causing a vibration in the steering wheel. My spare is a typical mini-spare, but I was under the impression that car came with a full-size...

Also, if anyone knows where I can find ONE matching wheel (they are nonexistent on eBay) for less than the $500 Lexus wants, let me know. I love the design of my wheels, but it seems silly to buy a new wheel at that price when I can buy a set of four brand new wheels AND tires from a newer ES or IS on eBay for the same price.

I always thought that all the ES 300's from '92 thru '01 came with full size spare tires on metal wheels, and starting with the '02's to the present they mounted the spares on alloy rims.(The same type as on the rest of the car). :rolleyes:

1. Try some online Lexus parts dealers.

2. Check with a Toyota dealer. I think the wheel used on the Platinum Edition is also used on the 02-04 Avalon XLE. It may be cheaper at Toyota. Of course, you would just have to swap out the center cap from your bent rim. Get a part number, then check with online Toyota parts dealers.

3. You can also look into having the bent rim straightened. Cost alot less than a new rim.

4. If the bend it not to severe, go to a knowledgable tire shop that has the Hunter RoadForce balancing machine. They should be able to rotate the rubber on the rim to match the high spots with the low spots in addition to balancing the set so that it runs as smooth as possible. I had to go this route with my 18s and it has been smooth as silk since. Cost was $30/wheel and took about 2 hours to do all four. The tech was very experienced in this technique.

steviej