Looking To Buy

4runnerlimited

Hello everyone, 1st time looking to own a lexus. I was kinda disappointed when i test drive the lexus gx470 today. Guess from all the post and reviews i've been reading, i expected little bit more then what it actually was. The Gx has a great sleek design looks better then the LX imo. I never did like the way the LX looked, kinda box looking and blends in with the landcruiser. The GX was pretty much the same as far as handling and ride comfort as my Limited 4runner. I expected the GX to have a smoother quiet ride for the amount of money im paying. I still feel the bumps on the road and wind noise from the windows . I even test drive one with KDSS and there were NO difference...extra $4k for nothing. I was told the difference would be for like offroad terrains...but i wont be doing much of that here. To sum it up I will still make this ILLOGICAL purchase because all im paying for is the brand name other than that there are plenty of SUV who have the same ride comfort for much less cost.

Why make the purchase if you don't like the ride?? I bought my GS400 because of the ride, not the name - if it didn't live up to what I was looking for then I wouldn't have purchased it. BTW I also own a Yukon Denali which has one of the best rides for a full sized SUV - not just my opinion but everyone who's riden in it. I drove an RX330 as a loaner car and, quite frankly, you couldn't pay me to buy one (given my experience with my Denali.) My comments on the RX pretty well match yours on the GX.

I think there have been quite a few posts in this forum regarding how some people think this truck should ride more like a sedan. And they are disappointed when it does not ride like some of the gentler lines of cars. But, if you took a look at any discussion in an actual 4x4 forum, you would notice the absence of those SUV's that you think ride so well. That seems to illuminate the fact that this is a truck for off-road use, which has lot's of accutrements, which it does surprisingly well.

I did not drive the 4runner, since that was not an option in my mind. I have owned Range Rover's and driven the X5. I like the 470 for the price point. The Range Rover is truly a fine piece of work,on and off the road, but very maintenance intensive. For me, the X5 is not even an option for off-road, since it seems to be a very tall all-wheel drive sedan.

For the KDDS option, if you only drove it around on the city streets, there would not be an observable difference. If you were to drive that on a curving mountain road or off-road, there is a HUGE difference. The Range Rover did not dampen the wash board road as well as the GX, but swayed like a whale in mountain road situations. The X5 has the same anti-sway features, but since that is NOT an off-road vehicle it would be hard to compare its' wheel travel over a river bed. For what I spent, I think the GX is great for a truck. It does not have the European appointments that set those vehicles apart (and of which I miss a few of), but it is a great truck.

Obviously, these are my opinions, since what governs anyone's preferance is probably emotional in some way and not easily resolved. It comes down to what do you want to purchase, comfort or performance.

My point was not that it should ride like a sedan, but at least it should have a better ride then that. I know how it feels to be in a SUV, i own an 8 yr old limited 4runner (with no problems yet at 98+k miles and still kicking). I just expect a little bit more from Lexus thats all...hence the disappointment. I always picture Lexus stands above all other auto manufacturers and its product line are high quality products so it is justifiable for them to put a HIGH price tag on their vehicles. But this is not justifiable. The GX doesnt live up to the Lexus name. The only thing i like about it is the sporty look , and Navigation system and Lev entertainment system. I can understand and relate to most of GX owners is that Lexus install these highly sophisticated equipment and options to smoke screen the main points and to justify the high price tag. Like i said before i will still make the purchase because i can live with the bumpy ride im used to that... which brings up a question anyone purchasing one at this time since its like year end thing? The dealer gave me a quote of $51k for GX with nav, customed 9 inch screen dvd rear entertainment system, no KDSS. What price range should i be looking at?

I have owned 8 Lexus cars from 1995 thru 2004. I have owned only the top of the line of Lexus (3-LS400's, 3 LS-430's, 1 -SC430 and 1 - LX470). I was concerned about stepping down to buy the GX470. I did this a couple of weeks ago and got one with the navigation-ML stereo. I have ridden my GX in the mountains and on flat ground. I frankly can not find much of a difference in this vehicle to that of the LX. It isn't worth the added expense to have the LX and I did not do this because of a limited budget, just common sense. I spent the last three days with a Lexus LX-470 owner driving the GX together. He has owned 2 - LX 470 and 2 Toyota Land Cruisers. His and my comments and counsel is to forego the LX470 and opt for the GX-470. It simply isn't worth the great difference in price.

Now I hope you appreciate the fact that the GX is far superior to the 4Runner. The ride control alone is worth the extra money to keep your teeth in your head and not becoming cross eyed by the rough ride of the 4Runner.

Lexus is the absolute best car company I have experience and I have driven most of the best (we are a Lincoln, Mercury, Subaru dealer family). We drive Lexus and could drive any other car if we wanted.

I bought the GX for my wife after selling her '02 Denali. This car is alot more fun to drive and we are averaging 16.8 MPG mainly on the highway driving 80-90 MPH. The car is under 1000 miles at this point. Hey, the LX's gas mileage was never betterthan 12-13 so the choice from effieceny is academic.

I looked at every SUV out there from the Cayenne to the Volvo. The

GX isn't as glitsy as some of the others. but I have too much good experience with my Lexus cars to try for any other.

I wish you the best in your choice and hope that your expierence with Lexus is as good as mine and most other end users.

My only disappointment is the fact that the salesman I used told me that the car has the Bluetooth option which my LS430 has. Maybe next year.

One more thing. I ordered my car from a Texas dealer, had it shipped to NC and had never driven or sat in one before I bought it. that should show you my absolute trust for Lexus and their products. I have always bought my Lexus cars that way and I have always been pleased. Try that with any other car companies!

I have owned 8 Lexus cars from 1995 thru 2004. I have owned only the top of the line of Lexus (3-LS400's, 3 LS-430's, 1 -SC430 and 1 - LX470). I was concerned about stepping down to buy the GX470. I did this a couple of weeks ago and got one with the navigation-ML stereo. I have ridden my GX in the mountains and on flat ground. I frankly can not find much of a difference in this vehicle to that of the LX. It isn't worth the added expense to have the LX and I did not do this because of a limited budget, just common sense. I spent the last three days with a Lexus LX-470 owner driving the GX together. He has owned 2 - LX 470 and 2 Toyota Land Cruisers. His and my comments and counsel is to forego the LX470 and opt for the GX-470. It simply isn't worth the great difference in price.

Now I hope you appreciate the fact that the GX is far superior to the 4Runner. The ride control alone is worth the extra money to keep your teeth in your head and not becoming cross eyed by the rough ride of the 4Runner.

Lexus is the absolute best car company I have experience and I have driven most of the best (we are a Lincoln, Mercury, Subaru dealer family). We drive Lexus and could drive any other car if we wanted.

I bought the GX for my wife after selling her '02 Denali. This car is alot more fun to drive and we are averaging 16.8 MPG mainly on the highway driving 80-90 MPH. The car is under 1000 miles at this point. Hey, the LX's gas mileage was never betterthan 12-13 so the choice from effieceny is academic.

I looked at every SUV out there from the Cayenne to the Volvo. The

GX isn't as glitsy as some of the others. but I have too much good experience with my Lexus cars to try for any other.

I wish you the best in your choice and hope that your expierence with Lexus is as good as mine and most other end users.

My only disappointment is the fact that the salesman I used told me that the car has the Bluetooth option which my LS430 has. Maybe next year.

One more thing. I ordered my car from a Texas dealer, had it shipped to NC and had never driven or sat in one before I bought it. that should show you my absolute trust for Lexus and their products. I have always bought my Lexus cars that way and I have always been pleased. Try that with any other car companies!

I think you're CRAZY to pay the price of a GX if you aren't entirely happy with the vehicle. BTW, KDSS is a $1750 sticker price option, not $4K. Take a look at the Mercedes ML500, X5, Cayenne or Touareg. You won't be happy with a GX.

Now I hope you appreciate the fact that the GX is far superior to the 4Runner.  The ride control alone is worth the extra money to keep your teeth in your head and not becoming cross eyed by the rough ride of the 4Runner.

Wow you must have a big garage to store all those vehicle in. Otherwise it sounds kinda funny when you go thru 1 lexus a year for you to worry about "common sense or a strain on your limited budget ". Hope you didnt post this because you work for them. Secondly where you get this idea "Now I hope you appreciate the fact that the GX is far superior to the 4Runner. The ride control alone is worth the extra money to keep your teeth in your head and not becoming cross eyed by the rough ride of the 4Runner." your common sense told you this??? 'cause that would explain it. 1st of all , Lexus is a division of Toyota, not the other way around...so it cant be FAR SUPERIOR then a 4runner. My previous post said GX rides like my 4runner...i still feel bumps and wind noise...so the question arise there was if GX so FAR SUPERIOR why didnt they make GX smoother quieter ride but rather lean upon the fact that it is a "truck" it suppose to ride like a "truck"??? SO WHERE IS THE DIFFERENCE??? My limited 4runner rides like a truck? so that mean it is a lexus??? is that justification??? Im not going to comment the second part of that paragraph because then i think it will become personal...lol. Anyway thanks for your comment for whats it's worth...2cents!

As to why i still make this purchase because of the same reason STATUS. isnt that what Lexus stands for???

I can appreciate your point of view concerning the heirarchy of where Lexus fits into Toyota manufacturing. But, to state that the parent manufacturer can't differentiate between their product lines is like comparing a Cadillac Seville to a Chevorlet Cavalier. True, Lexus is a Sub Company within Toyota, but the GX is not simply an optioned up 4Runner. The current models of 4Runner Limited and the GX, have almost all of the same features. But, they do not have ALL the same features. And I am sure there are features on the GX, that you could care less about. And there is also the level of hardware used that sets them apart ( i.e. do the 4runners use projector lamps for headlights?). There is more acoustic insulation in the GX over the 4runner. And I think the GX is taller in the passenger cabin for better head room. One of the features I REALLY miss is the higher seating position that Range Rover's have. It made long trips less annoying having your legs bent more comfortably at the knee than to have them stuck out with lower seating height. I think the GX also has higher seat bases than the 4Runner. Anyway, it is design changes that will make you like the differences between the 4Runner and the GX, or simply that you should get the 4Runner and save some money. At what level do you want your driving experience. Obviously, all features and options of the GX are NOT available on the 4Runner. With all that to consider, it is simply where you spend money that counts as your vote.

Hello,

I have owned two 4runner limiteds (2000 & 2002) and 1 Landcruiser (2002) and I now own a 2004 GX470. I have to agree that the GX470 rides far superior to a 4runner including the newest model. I was extremely disappointed with my Landcruiser and needed a new ride so I did heavy research and test driving. I purchased a GX470 because Lexus has the #1 rating for # of problems per car sold and the ride and quality were very high! I did not purchase it because of status. I would never say its ride is comparable to that of a 8 year old 4runner. I would say that the Touareg was probably the closest thing to it. I do not have KDSS because I need to tow and you cannot do so with KDSS. This is just my 2 cents worth and I do not want to offend anyone - its just I have owned 4runner limiteds and drove many of the other models the GX470 is compared to and thought it might help someone with a purchase! My truck has nav with Levinson, factory rear entertainment system, 3rd row useless seats, factory spoiler and towing package and chrome wheels. I was able to purcahse this for 47,900.00 from my dealer. I just spoke to the service manager and he said the 2005's are on the ships from Japan as we speak. Therefore, you should get a good deal on a 2004 model. He stated they were not changing anything for 2005. Thanks for you time!!

Hello,

I have owned two 4runner limiteds (2000 & 2002) and 1 Landcruiser (2002) and I now own a 2004 GX470. I have to agree that the GX470 rides far superior to a 4runner including the newest model.

Ok you guys keep telling me the GX "RIDES FAR SUPERIOR" then a 4runner but you cant tell me how? How is it so superior????? Tell me your GX doesnt have a bumpy ride, tell me that your GX doesnt have wind noise, tell me that your GX is a gas saver...... How SUPERIOR is it if it still have these things LIKE THE REST OF THE SUV. You guys been brainwashed by the reviews and cant get a feel for your own self. Furthermore since you say you own 2 4runners are you crossed eye driving the 4runner or loose ur teeth on the dash board???? Be for real... i think it is because of the navigation system or Lev system you are referring to... Those folks are called OPTIONS! It only beefs up the car looks not performance. Here is why i say the GX DRIVES like my 4runner because i drove the 4runner 2 hrs to the Lexus dealership and step into the GX i should be able to feel more comfortable with the ride correct??? if in fact my 4runner is so inferior? or in your words GX RIDES FAR SUPERIOR.... Look folks i only call what i see and feel not a bunch of overrated copied opinions i read somewhere off the net....FAR SUPERIOR...ha ...pfft! Now if you think the Lexus was so SUPERIOR to 4 runner why in the world would you buy (2) 4runner and on top of that a Landcruiser when you could have bought one "Lexus has the #1 rating for # of problems per car sold and the ride and quality were very high! I did not purchase it because of status"....hmmm kinda make you wonder. Im not here to defend the 4runner nor am i here to put down the GX. My main and 1st post says that i was DISAPPOINTED IN THE GX BECAUSE IT RIDES LIKE MY 4RUNNER. And yes Lexus is a status symbol in addition to the sleek sporty look and the neat options that is installed in it (read my post folks before u condemn me) . if it wasnt, i would buy (2) 4runner limited and a Landcruiser...lol but thanks anyway for ur 2 cents.

The body part you sit on was undoubtedly still numb from the two hour drive to the Lexus dealer and you probably could have test driven a Rolls Royce and still complained. If you would pay attention to our 2 cents worth of input, you might save yourself $50K.

what? buy the Gx not because of ur "status" or "fame" but to enjoy driving the car! heck, only my homies and me (around dec 02-jan 03) were the, i guess "Crazy" ones becuz we all were convinced that we're gonna get a test drive when we buy our GXs! so all the guyz that are buying a Gx now have the cutting edge! hehe, I (luckily) got a test drive about 4 days before my Gx came in, I didn't feel much bumpiness but really noticed the sound insulation, VERY GOOD :cheers: ! My dealer is set on one of the busy streets, so it was really noisy, but once i got in, "What happened to the sound??" That's how i really convinced myself that this was the right SUV!

P.S. It was nice around jan03-mar03 to have the "fame status" becuz not too many Gxs were on the road! hehe, really liked it and, got used to it, damnit! no more of that now! :chairshot:

The body part you sit on was undoubtedly still numb from the two hour drive to the Lexus dealer and you probably could have test driven a Rolls Royce and still complained.  If you would pay attention to our 2 cents worth of input, you might save yourself $50K.

lol i think numb or not you should still feel the difference because it's such a Far Superior ride. So does that mean my ears were numb too? Never sat in RR so i cant tell you. i dont ASSUME anything like you do. you gota come back with a better reason then that. And if i want to purchase a RR i would be in back seat and have you as my chauffeur so you be previlege to sit in one. And for the last time im buying this vehicle regardless what u guys say cause SOME of you are brainwashed and/or have no common sense. If i just want a PLAIN suv or save $50k i would buy another limited. Im NOT here to save $50k...if i didnt want to spend this kind of money i wouldnt be in this forum...duh! But yes status is still the main reason...so let that be. To answer one post about FEATURES yes Lexus put in high tech stuff but thats all that is STUFF you can always add on . Same reason why i see post of MOD LExus? You guys are gona change headlights, wheels..this and that anyway. I think Lexus got u reading all these post to brainwash you. here is my 2 cents jon your brain is numb. read my original post.

".....no common sense, ....duh." This is from a person that says he wants to buy a GX for status and doesn't seem to like much of anything about it other than the name. You have got to be smarter than you sound. Thanks for your two centavos worth. True, I have had times when it seems my brain has gone numb but this isn't one of them. At least in this instance, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you have some real problems with your reasoning process.

I smell a troll.

I've never experienced a thread where someone who is going to buy a vehicle continues to undermine it and pick arguments with owners that like their vehicles. Something's rotten in denmark. Thread closed.

I'm actually going to place the poster on posting probation. If he's not a troll and really wants to continue posting here, he can contact me and let me know that he can be more polite and respectful to the site's members.