92 es300 rough idle, 143k

My 92 es300 was having a surging problem when I bought it only at idle when you would first start the car, after driving it would go away. As soon as you touch the gas the engine smooths out and runs great. before buying any sensors I thought I’d do all the maintenance, oil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor. While doing this I discovered that the rubber intake tube was ripped open, so the engine was pulling in unfiltered air. Once I fixed that and did all maintenance now the engine seems to misfire at idle, I don’t think it has anything to do with the plugs because again, as you start driving the engine smooths out and I get consistent fuel economy, makes good power. What sensor does this sound like? Mass air flow? Would pulling in the wrong amount of air mess the system up?

Once you fix an intake leak, the computer most likely needs a certain amount to run cycles to adjust the air/fuel mixture. Sometimes disconnecting the battery, waiting awhile, reconnecting and driving the car a certain (minimum) number of miles will do the trick.