Bad engine noises and this

Lamone

1068580062_Screenshot2023-01-28at4_54_39PM.thumb.jpg.c582fe81ab42c15e2bf542c33d89280f.jpg

Hello everyone, new member here from Florida.

My dad gave me his precious 2000 RX300 with 140k miles. 

Unfortunately, after a 200 mile drive, suddenly the engine started making horrible noises (abs and oil light were ON) checked the oils before and after, level was fine. 

There was some power-loss, but it was still drivable. Soon after, gas pedal stopped responding, power-steering was lost. The belt (timing or serpentine)? cover busted open exposing it.

My question is; is the engine totaled or is this engine portion fixable?

Thank you very much for your input

According to this Lexus mechanic, the timing belt should've been replaced at 90,000 miles. Fortunately, the engine is not an interference type.

1717170735_RX300timingbelt.thumb.JPG.70208dc9ad933fb3c175c464b1d09cae.JPG

20 hours ago, RX400h said:

According to this Lexus mechanic, the timing belt should've been replaced at 90,000 miles. Fortunately, the engine is not an interference type.

1717170735_RX300timingbelt.thumb.JPG.70208dc9ad933fb3c175c464b1d09cae.JPG

Dave, Thank you very much for your reply.

From the look of it, it looks like the RH camshaft timing pulley or/and its bolt may be broken.

OR.....it's time to move on and scrap the car. I know it's hard, but you don't want to spend that money and then see other things pop up as part of a large money pit.

2 hours ago, RX400h said:

OR.....it's time to move on and scrap the car. I know it's hard, but you don't want to spend that money and then see other things pop up as part of a large money pit.

It's crossed my mind... It'd probably be a wiser chose and less of a money pit; especially because I want to get a Land Cruiser. In your opinion, how much would an rx300 with 140k scrap for?

I sold my 1989 Mazda MX6 GT for just a few hundred dollars to a scrapyard. It was in great shape, visually but no one could figure out how to fix it. You may want to call around if there is more than one in your area.