Questions About Detailing.....

These questions show how new I am to the process of detailing a car. I've layered 3 coats of Macguires tech wax and really like the shine. I've also been using Macguires QD.

Does using QD remove more wax than washing with car wash solution?

Can I apply another layer of wax on top of QD, or should I wash the car first?

What should QD NOT be applied to, both on the exterior & interior?

Thanks for this great forum.

Mike

Quote: …I've layered 3 coats of Macguires tech wax and really like the shine. I've also been using Macguires [Meguiar’s]QD.

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Q: Does using QD remove more wax than washing with car wash solution?

A: A quick detailer usually contains wax / solvent / water it has a very limited cleaning ability, unlike a car wash concentrate used to thoroughly clean a vehicle.

Q: Can I apply another layer of wax on top of QD, or should I wash the car first?

A: You can apply wax over QD; you do not necessarily have to wash the vehicle first.

Q: What should QD NOT be applied to, both on the exterior & interior?

A: QD sprays are formulated to detail painted vehicle surfaces. I would not use it on vinyl, leather, fabric, rubber and etc

Comment: Your post talked about using Meguiar’s NXT and a QD (I've also been using Macguires QD) If the ‘QD’ in question is NXT Spray Wax it's a spray-on booster wax (not a quick detailer per se) that ads protection with ESP technology, while restoring the shine, uses it dry for fast touch-ups to quickly restore a just detailed look. If not ignore this comment…

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

u should use a good car wash liqued, ie.......(i use the NXT car wash liquid)....if you use dawn dish washing liquid or equivelent it will remove the wax ;)

another thing you could use instead of QD is a wax as you dry product.......thats what i always do, it gives a great shine.......and since i had dry my car everytime i wash it it doesn't take hardly any extra time......

good luck :cheers:

Comment: Your post talked about using Meguiar’s NXT and a QD (I've also been using Macguires QD) If the ‘QD’ in question is NXT Spray Wax it's a spray-on booster wax (not a quick detailer per se) that ads protection with ESP technology, while restoring the shine, uses it dry for fast touch-ups to quickly restore a just detailed look. If not ignore this comment…

I knew when I typed "Macguires" it didn't look right. :blushing: I do have the QD and not the NXT Spray Wax. I found the Meguires NXT Tech Wax so easy to apply and remove, it's just as quick to use as the booster wax.

Do you use QD on the exterior glass....and what about the black plastic engine covers?

Quote: Do you use QD on the exterior glass....and what about the black plastic engine covers?

~ One man’s opinion / observations ~

Q: Do you use QD on the exterior glass?

A: No, I use a product called Aquapel (similar type of product to RainX but IMO much, much better) prior to polishing with Autoglym Glass Polish.

Q:....and what about the black plastic engine covers?

A: I usually use a vinyl type cleaner (Klasse Vinyl Cleaner & Protecterant)

~Hope this helps ~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon