New (to Me) 1996 Ls400

CactusCruiser

I'm the new owner of a 96 LS400 with 99k/miles on it. Everything works on it with two minor exceptions: the LCD displays on the radio and the left front side marker light. It is a G.R.E.A.T. car! (A tribute to the previous owner who was absolutely anal-retentive about keeping it serviced.)

I've already done a 1.5k/mile road trip with it and I am just blown away by the quality and refinement of this vehicle!

As a newbie to this forum, I've diligently browsed about the first 30 pages of topic titles and posts, and I just have to say that this is what the Internet should be all about. It seems like everyone here knows so much and shares it willingly. I was looking for clues about changing that side marker bulb and I found them

I'm gonna change that marker light bulb myself this weekend and thanks to this Forum, I know what to expect. As for the LCD display, I can live with that. I live in southern Arizona and the heat that builds up in a closed car in the parking lot all day (even with covered parking) probably is what fried it in the first place.

Anyhoo.....thank you for all the good work that you do and I'm delighted to be among the ranks of Lexus owners.

Tom in Tucson

enjoy the LS, 96 is a great year and they dont seem to have problems. i didnt change anything and i have 135k miles on it already. the only thing you need to do is to check if the timing belt/tune up service was perfomed. also i would recommend to do a steering flush, rear differential flush and a tranny flush, but first check the dealer for the records of service since the car was serviced there. this will tell you what you need to do and what has been done. feel free to ask me any questions since i got a lot of experience with 96 model year:)

Congrats on your new car!!! :D You will love it tooo much!! Keep up with the maintinance, and the car will treat you wonderfully! My '95 is at 233k miles, and the car is nothing short of incerdible! My car has no serious problems thus far; I've just done maintinance things like the fluids, plugs(wires, rotors, and caps too--the entire ignition), and last weekend a timing belt. The timing belt was quite possibly the most miserable experience of my life(long story short, we used the wrong reference points on the cams.)! But, thanks to many PM's with VMF we got the car settled up. My timing belt had about 130k miles on it, and it definantly could have gone another 10k miles easily. I have some tired suspension bushings up front, but that isn't anything the premium stereo can't drown out! It is such a relaxing car to drive with the excellent stereo, plush ride, and quiet interior and powertrain! B) The love affair with my LS continues!! lol

However, I must disagree that the '95+ LS(I know the '96 was mentioned, but the '95 is the same machine) is any more reliable than any other older LS. So far every problem my LS has had is one that is generally seen on the 90-94 like my suspension problems(clunk), dead LCD in the center stack, a replaced power steering pump, and grinding antenna mast. Grant it my car has 233k miles, but I don't think it's much of a coinsidence that my car has the same problems as the older LS's. Eventhough my suspension bushings drive me insane, they are made of rubber, and rubber-like a lot of other things-gets brittle and cracks=suspension clunk; I think the same thing goes for the antenna mast also. The true problem areas to me are the power steering pumps and the center stack LCD's. IMO, the LS430 is such the superb car it is today because Lexus has stuck with evolutionary generations rather than revolutionary ones-hence the common problems from gen. to gen and the familiar look(grant it the '04 is the most dramatic/sculpted looking LS, but all LS's have similarities like tail lights that have a familiar layout and look, a long side profile/shape, and the grill with long horizontal slats with the big L right in the center. I'm saying similar cues not the same!) . They keep the same basic package, but they expound on the current package rather than starting from scratch. I'm sure someone could throw a stat at me about how much was changed from gen. to gen, but this is just my $.02! :D

For the stereo LCD, I just had Mikado fix mine. I had 3 days of down time for the repair. I did fork up for the overnight shipping though-about $35 each way(via the good ole USPS! The package weighed about 5 lbs), and add that to $150 for the repair for a total of $220. It's a small price to pay for my sanity! :lol:

:cheers:

Congrats on your new car!!! :D You will love it tooo much!! Keep up with the maintinance, and the car will treat you wonderfully! My '95 is at 233k miles, and the car is nothing short of incerdible! My car has no serious problems thus far; I've just done maintinance things like the fluids, plugs(wires, rotors, and caps too--the entire ignition), and last weekend a timing belt. The timing belt was quite possibly the most miserable experience of my life(long story short, we used the wrong reference points on the cams.)! But, thanks to many PM's with VMF we got the car settled up. My timing belt had about 130k miles on it, and it definantly could have gone another 10k miles easily. I have some tired suspension bushings up front, but that isn't anything the premium stereo can't drown out! It is such a relaxing car to drive with the excellent stereo, plush ride, and quiet interior and powertrain! B) The love affair with my LS continues!! lol

However, I must disagree that the '95+ LS(I know the '96 was mentioned, but the '95 is the same machine) is any more reliable than any other older LS. So far every problem my LS has had is one that is generally seen on the 90-94 like my suspension problems(clunk), dead LCD in the center stack, a replaced power steering pump, and grinding antenna mast. Grant it my car has 233k miles, but I don't think it's much of a coinsidence that my car has the same problems as the older LS's. Eventhough my suspension bushings drive me insane, they are made of rubber, and rubber-like a lot of other things-gets brittle and cracks=suspension clunk; I think the same thing goes for the antenna mast also. The true problem areas to me are the power steering pumps and the center stack LCD's. IMO, the LS430 is such the superb car it is today because Lexus has stuck with evolutionary generations rather than revolutionary ones-hence the common problems from gen. to gen and the familiar look(grant it the '04 is the most dramatic/sculpted looking LS, but all LS's have similarities like tail lights that have a familiar layout and look, a long side profile/shape, and the grill with long horizontal slats with the big L right in the center. I'm saying similar cues not the same!) . They keep the same basic package, but they expound on the current package rather than starting from scratch. I'm sure someone could throw a stat at me about how much was changed from gen. to gen, but this is just my $.02! :D

For the stereo LCD, I just had Mikado fix mine. I had 3 days of down time for the repair. I did fork up for the overnight shipping though-about $35 each way(via the good ole USPS! The package weighed about 5 lbs), and add that to $150 for the repair for a total of $220. It's a small price to pay for my sanity! :lol:

:cheers:

I agree about the radio "drowning" out the clunking, because that is what I do. :) That is why I have been so concerned about my radio being "dead" when I first start out in the mornings. :blink: I just hope it does not completely go out.

I had also forgot about the "clunking" suspensions on the 95-96 models. Just don't hear as much about them, because many are still in the 150K or less range.

My car now has 232K as well.

my suspension is till intact, PS pump is also doing well so far, LCDs are just fine as well, no radio problems or any electrical problems. antenna works flawlessy as well. its either coz i'm lucky or due to the good maintanence. i dont know

but i'm surpised mself that with 135k i dont have any probs at all. (except a burned bulb in the scan/pscan button on the radio)

my suspension is till intact, PS pump is also doing well so far, LCDs are just fine as well, no radio problems or any electrical problems. antenna works flawlessy as well. its either coz i'm lucky or due to the good maintanence. i dont know

but i'm surpised mself that with 135k i dont have any probs at all. (except a burned bulb in the scan/pscan button on the radio)

Knock on wood right? :)