Toyota Type T-iv Auto Tranny Fluid

sc_toy

Hey all,

I just wanted to share a little experience I just had. My '92 SC400 has been shifting poorly under WOT, basically it's been lagging at shifts instead of giving a push in the back that my moms LS400 gives. Well after checking out planetsoarer.com, I came to the conclusion that somebody may have put dexron tranny fluid in my car.

Anyway, I just drained the pan and filled with 4 litres of Toyota Type T-IV ATF. I understand this is only about half the fluid in the car but I wasn't prepared to flush and fill.

ANYWAY, the results are astounding. I was hoping it would clean up my shifts a bit over time. It was immediate. It was blatantly noticeable. Now it doesn't seem to sit there revving but not going anywhere while shifting. Now it gives me that continuous push in the back that I was expecting when I first bought this car!!! I should have done this right away! =) It's expensive fluid but I know why now, I'm going to make it part of my routine, maybe every second oil change I'm going to change the tranny fluid. The stuff that came out looked like 10 year old brake fluid and had the same consistency.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Draining from the plug will only loose maximum of 2 quarts, so if you filled with 4 quarts you may have too much fluid. Check to make sure you have proper level. Also the capacity is close to 15 quarts so 4 quarts only works out to be little more than 25%. Invest in complete flush from Lexus dealer so you know you will get Type-T fluid and sense of security. I think the t-repair will cost 3k-4k so best you don’t take a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
Draining from the plug will only loose maximum of 2 quarts, so if you filled with 4 quarts you may have too much fluid. Check to make sure you have proper level. Also the capacity is close to 15 quarts so 4 quarts only works out to be little more than 25%. Invest in complete flush from Lexus dealer so you know you will get Type-T fluid and sense of security. I think the t-repair will cost 3k-4k so best you don’t take a chance.

Hey,

I measured the old fluid before I added the new stuff, it was just under 4 litres. I read about unhooking the line and doing a flush and fill at home, but for the life of me couldn't find lines coming off the tranny (and I've been working on cars for about 7 years now!)

I'm probably going to install a shift kit one of these days, and at that point I'll do a full flush and fill. *BLEEP* from the dealership I bet they want $200 CDN to flush and fill with Toyota type-IV.... I hate paying $75 an hour for something I can do myself.

I'd still rather get a custom bellhousing to mate the W58 to the 1UZ-FE.....

Aaron