Timing Belt And Water Pump Replacement Intervals

I have heard of two service intervals for the timing belt. I've heard of the 120K and the 90K. All of my local Lexus Dealers said 90K while the Toyota dealership said 120K and some of you have said 120K. The cheapest Lexus dealer charges 450 for the timign belt and 860 for both the water pump and timing belt plus a loaner car for the day. Are those fair prices? I have 95K miles on the car, do you think i should get the services done ASAP? Also, what else can I expect the dealer to truthfully tell me to have replaced/repaired on the car at this mileage?

• 2 weeks later...

I THINK THOSE PRICES ARE FAIR CONSIDERING WITH COST OF REPLACING THE HEADS IF THE TIMING BELT BREAKS WHILE DRIVING. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. IF YOU ARE MECHANICALLY INCLINED, I RECOMMEND CHANGING THE SPARK PLUGS, WIRES, CAPS AND ROTORS AND COILS YOURSELF. THEY ARE PRETTY EASY TO GET TO. I OWN A 93 SC400 WITH 173500 MILES ON IT. JUST A WEEK AGO MY CAR WAS SITTING AT IDLE AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CAR BEGAN TO SHAKE AND SPUTTER LIKE CRAZY. AFTER PLUGING IN MY DIAGNOSTIC MACHINE (LUCKILLY I OWN A HIGH PERFORMANCE AUTO SHOP) I DISCOVERED THAT THE IGNITION COIL ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE OF THE MOTOR HAD GONE BAD. THE PART COST ME $23 DOLLARS AND ABOUT 10 MINUTES TO CHANGE. WWW.RPMSUPERSTORE.COM

4705 WEST BROAD STREET RICHMOND VA 23230 804-358-9576

• 2 weeks later...

From a dealer that is very reasonable. Mine cost $1,300. Do I believe you will get your car back from the dealer for under $1,000? Nope! They will tear it apart and then give you a call saying that your cam seals need replacing, etc. If you say you dont want new cam seals they will then say that they cant guarantee the work. They will find a way to jack it up. Cam seals are a good idea but they usually tell you this only after they have your engine apart. The dealer doesnt always do the best job either. I would find an independant shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus and you get everything done for around $750.00. The guys who own these shops are many times former dealer mechanic and probably have more experience than a newby tech at the dealer. As for the replacement interval of a timing belt on an SC400, I think Lexus recomends 80K. I had mine done at 88k. And as you can see, I paid way too much... but the complimentary colombian lattes were splendid. Oh and dont forget the car wash the dealer gives you. Thats got to be worth like $10..right?...lol.

I have heard of two service intervals for the timing belt. I've heard of the 120K and the 90K. All of my local Lexus Dealers said 90K while the Toyota dealership said 120K and some of you have said 120K. The cheapest Lexus dealer charges 450 for the timign belt and 860 for both the water pump and timing belt plus a loaner car for the day. Are those fair prices? I have 95K miles on the car, do you think i should get the services done ASAP? Also, what else can I expect the dealer to truthfully tell me to have replaced/repaired on the car at this mileage?

I bought all my parts (t-belt, h2O pump, 8 spark plugs and wire, 2 cap and rotors, 2 cam seals, fronk crank seal) for around $600 and paid a small shop to do the job for $350. Try looking for a small reliable shop and have them install the parts for you. My car ran better after I got ti back and the shop did a pretty good job too. You get more done and save more money than going to the dealer (stealership).

From a dealer that is very reasonable. Mine cost $1,300. Do I believe you will get your car back from the dealer for under $1,000? Nope! They will tear it apart and then give you a call saying that your cam seals need replacing, etc. If you say you dont want new cam seals they will then say that they cant guarantee the work. They will find a way to jack it up. Cam seals are a good idea but they usually tell you this only after they have your engine apart. The dealer doesnt always do the best job either. I would find an independant shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus and you get everything done for around $750.00. The guys who own these shops are many times former dealer mechanic and probably have more experience than a newby tech at the dealer. As for the replacement interval of a timing belt on an SC400, I think Lexus recomends 80K. I had mine done at 88k. And as you can see, I paid way too much... but the complimentary colombian lattes were splendid. Oh and dont forget the car wash the dealer gives you. Thats got to be worth like $10..right?...lol.

well that dealer is located in an area where people don't have too much money (no offense to them). The dealer near my area quotes 1400 for the water pump and the belt, so right off the bat..15 miles apart and 500 dollar difference. Do you think the cam seals are necessary--i dont really know what they are so..Thanks.

YES!! Definately do the cam seals. It's not a big deal when they are doing the belt to install these as well. A dealer might try to make a big deal out of doing it and jack the price on you, while an independant Toyota shop is less likely to charge additional labor for this easy procedure. When they are putting in the timing belt, it's no big deal. The seals are right there. Bottom line, avoid the dealer. Find a good independant Toyota/Lexus repair house in the yellow pages. Then drive by during the day and see what kind of activity they have. Are they packed with business or is it dead? Are they working on top end models? People who own nice rides usually dont trust just anyone to work on them. Talk to shop. You can get a feel for who you are dealing with. At 95k, I'd be getting on it. The change interval is in the 85k range. I dont know where they came up with 120k.

Also, when you talk to a new mechanic, if he doesnt mention or recomend replacing the cam seals he may not be real fimiliar with you car. That might be a good way to know who you are dealing with. Play stupid and see if they have the right answers.