Lights Behind The Fan, Vent, Etc Controls

ToddLS400

The background light(s) all the way to the right of my heat/fan/AC controls is burnt out. The one to the very left goes off and on. You can make it go on by tapping it sometimes. The one in the middle illuminates fine. Is it easy to replace these little lights? I assume it's a few small bulbs behind the control panel?

• 2 weeks later...
yah the little bulbs are blown

pretty easy to replace

just remove and open it up the lights have a plastic base just twist out and replace

take them to the dealer to get new ones

Thanks Sky.... Are there screws or does the panel pop off? I haven't looked too closley. I just got it out of the shop last Friday and now my starter is fixed ($lots-o-money$). I drove the car all weekend. Lots-o-fun... Hehe :P

no the whole hvac assembly need to be taken out of the dash tehn a few screws on the side of it to be taken out

then pull forward and disconnect

unscrew the bulbs which twist off and you should be done

no the whole hvac assembly need to be taken out of the dash tehn a few screws on the side of it to be taken out

Do you mean the whole dash needs to be disconnected to get in there? Thanks... :geek:

May I suggest that for the bulb replacements in the hvac display as well as for heated seats/ track off switch you can go to radio shack and buy a replacement bulb and fit it into the plastic holder.

For the heated seat illumination and trac you can use Radio Shack # 7219. Bend the wire off of the plastic holder and pull the bulb out, you can also remove the green covering and place it on the new bulb.

Joe

May I suggest that for the bulb replacements in the hvac display as well as for heated seats/ track off switch you can go to radio shack and buy a replacement bulb and fit it into the plastic holder.

For the heated seat illumination and trac you can use Radio Shack # 7219. Bend the wire off of the plastic holder and pull the bulb out, you can also remove the green covering and place it on the new bulb.

Joe

Great! Thanks Joe. :cheers:

Thanks SKPerf.. :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I took skperformance's advise,removed the unit and bulbs, and contacted my local dealer. They tell me that the only way to purchase those bulbs, is to purchase the whole unit (700.00 plus Dollars). I got the Trac., and seat heater bulbs from Radio Shack. They work great. ( Thanks, cnacne) So, the million dollar question is, where do I go from here. If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

Bryan

Stupid Lexus dealer! They always try to make you pay the most $ as possible.

The bulbs must have a cross reference? At least the Toyota dealer should be able to refence these. I would bring the burnt out bulb(s) to a autoparts store and see if they can find a match.

I'm going to go to the Toyota dealer and ask around. I know a couple of the tech's there and see if they can recommend something. All the local auto parts guy's want to know make and model. Those guys don't have a clue. And for the Lexus guys, they won't go out of there way to help you. I did Mazda parts for eight years and I can relate a little to the parts guys. Looking up light bulbs, clips, and little parts can be a pain.

Thanks Todd. We like your LS. It looks like ours. Our 90 has the gray clading and bumpers and 125K. We purchased it the first of June for $4400. I work for a Hendrick dealer and bought it off the wholesale line. I put $1500 in it and know its a great car. Thanks for your input about the bulbs.

Bryan

Excellent Shelley. You guys got a great deal...

What did you spend the 15 hun on the Lexus for?

I've put about $700 into mine so far. Not too bad. It runs great now. Jeez, it's a Toyota. It'll outlive me probably?

I put tires, brake pads, turned the rotors, air filter, oil change, rear coil springs (left rear spring sagged, replaced both), replaced drivers seat belt, complete aftermarket stereo system, antenna mast, and labor on some items. The alternator took a dump 2 weeks ago. I took it, the alternator, to the local auto electric shop and had it rebuilt for $138.00, compared to the price of a new or remaned junk, that was a great deal.

Bryan

The easiest thing to do is go to a junkyard. Go to a pick n pull junkyard and get all the bulbs you need. You can get all of the bulbs off of any Toyota vehicle. All of the bulbs are the same, and easy to get to (not to mention, very cheap). Thats what I did, and everything works great now.

The easiest thing to do is go to a junkyard. Go to a pick n pull junkyard and get all the bulbs you need. You can get all of the bulbs off of any Toyota vehicle. All of the bulbs are the same, and easy to get to (not to mention, very cheap). Thats what I did, and everything works great now.

That's a good idea. Did you get them from a Camry? Any Toyota? Including trucks, 4-Runners, Corrollas?

I put tires, brake pads, turned the rotors, air filter, oil change, rear coil springs (left rear spring sagged, replaced both), replaced drivers seat belt, complete aftermarket stereo system, antenna mast, and labor on some items. The alternator took a dump 2 weeks ago. I took it, the alternator, to the local auto electric shop and had it rebuilt for $138.00, compared to the price of a new or remaned junk, that was a great deal.

Bryan

Where did you get the dash kit for the aftermarket stereo? I asked a Circuit City guy a few weeks ago and he said they didn't have the dash kits for the LS400. I haven't really checked around that much though. I have the crappy Pioneer system that sounds mediocre at best.

Bryan

Where did you get the dash kit for the aftermarket stereo? I asked a Circuit City guy a few weeks ago and he said they didn't have the dash kits for the LS400. I haven't really checked around that much though. I have the crappy Pioneer system that sounds mediocre at best.

Todd, I took my car to a local stereo shop and they said a kit had just come out for the LS400. It doesn't look bad. try some of your local car stereo shops, not Circuit City or Best Buy. If you can't find one, let me know and I will give you there phone number.

Bryan

• 3 years later...

yah the little bulbs are blown

pretty easy to replace

just remove and open it up the lights have a plastic base just twist out and replace

take them to the dealer to get new ones

my clock light is out on my 1999 ls400 how do i change the bulb? thanks

how would i change a light bulb for the dashboard clock? thanks

o_89043.jpg

if you are talking about those lights then check out http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/cl...cklighting.html if you are switching out w/ Leds you have the option of changing the backlighting color. like in the pic above

kits with the pocket for aftermarket headunits and harness can be purchaed one ebay just do a quick search

o_86601.jpg

• 2 years later...
I LOVE this forum. My VSC backlight just died. It was heartbreaking until I found this thread. The 7219 bulb (272-1092) is a perfect match for the bulb that came out of my '99. $1.79 + tax has to be the cheapest repair job I've ever done.

I LOVE this forum. My VSC backlight just died. It was heartbreaking until I found this thread. The 7219 bulb (272-1092) is a perfect match for the bulb that came out of my '99. $1.79 + tax has to be the cheapest repair job I've ever done.

I have some HVAC button backlighting out on my 91' LS.... sounds easy to replace the bulbs... I may just do that one of these days. Seems easy enough.