I Don't Like Hid's

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Ok - I know - everyone seems to like HID headlights - but I don't. I find them annoying. Sure - they're super bright and light up the road better - but at what cost? My mom's Acura TL Type S has them and she wishes it didn't. Every single time she's out at night - a few people will flash their headlights trying to get my mom to turn off her highbeams. [even though they're not on] Same thing happens to me every time I drive a car with HID's. Yes - I think it's neat to watch them flicker on - but given a choice - I would buy a car without them.

What do you think of HID's?!

Craig!! :)

Hi Craig,

Personally I like well designed HID's but sadly not all HID's are equal. Some manufacturers do not put leveling - either manual or automatic - on their HID's. Does your Mom's Acura have leveling? I especially notice that the automatic leveling HID's in Mercedes, BMW and Lexus do not cause me any problem when I meet them head-on. I notice this a lot since I have the beginning of cataracts which are making my eyes much more sensitive to glare.

One thing that helps on-coming drivers is to turn off the headlights (one notch down to the "parking lights"), when stopped at a traffic light at night. That is why Japanese cars have the light switch on the turn signal lever - to make it easy to do this.

Take care!

Jim

Gotta agree with you Craig. I think they are annoying at best and dangerous at worst as they really blind oncoming drivers. I'm sure they are good for the people driving them but for everyone else they are terrible.

I on the other hand, would NOT buy a car WITHOUT them. I find the illumination to be far superior than halogen bulbs. My car has the autoleveling feature and I have never been flashed (unless of course my highs are on and I forgot to bring them down. :blushing: :whistles: ).

I can agree that some other cars do not have them aimed properly and that hurts oncoming traffic as well as the driver immediately in front of the HIDs. These bad apples do sour the public's like of HIDs.

steviej

i love my HIDs! given the fact that they are aftermarket they match perfectly with the lens and they dont shine into the eyes but illuminate the road in front of me perfectly, i had bunch of different bulbs b4 and none of them can match HIDs in any way! I LOVE MY HIDs and i would recommend them to every1!

I would never buy another car without HIDs. In fact thats one of the principal reasons I bought the ES instead of the GS, the GS300 doesn't have HIDs. The reduction in eye strain when travelling at night and the high tech look are just great. Better get used to them because eventually they'll become the industry norm.

As for blinding I've only been flashed at once. Acura's HIDs before 2004 do not have an autolevelling feature thats why you get flashed at. The HIDs in my fiancee's Prius don't have autolevelling either and I noticed they were really blinding the other night when she was following me home after we had met my dad for dinner. All in all though they don't bother me really.

sk, just courious....how many characters are allowed now on Ontario personalized licence plates?? :unsure: I bought mine back in 94 when you could only get 6 characters & is a space in between characters considered a character? Thanks! B)

:cheers:

sk, just courious....how many characters are allowed now on Ontario personalized licence plates?? :unsure: I bought mine back in 94 when you could only get 6 characters & is a space in between characters considered a character? Thanks! B)

:cheers:

it is a custom vanity plate i have,which is why you are probably asking

it used to be 6 now i think it is 8

it also used to be per plate now it is charged by the letters