Low Idle Rpm

Jacob

Hi,

My 96 LS400 seems to idle at about 400 RPM (the second tick mark from zero). This doesn't seem to cause any problem, but isn't 400 way too low even for a V-8. I've just had my plugs, wires, caps, roters and air filter replaced, so could it be the fuel filter? The funny thing is that it didn't do that before performing the tune-up :)

Any ideas? thanks in advance

Jacob

my ls430,

Thank you for your reply. Is this something that I can do myself? or do I need a mechanic?

I've read taht a vacuum problem can cause the check engine light to come on, which the case with my car.

Thank you,

Jacob

yes, that is good advice from myls430.........a vaccum leak is most likely what is causing your problem........ especially since you just had a full tune up on the ignition.............but, it also could be your MAF sensor

When I rev the engine, I hear this “suction” sound. Is this normal

no its not normal, unless you have an aftermarket free flow conical air filter.....that would make a "sucking sound" when reving the engine........have you checked to see if your air box is connected securly to the intake tubing?

either the tubing or the air box could have a crack and or hole in it.

silvermate,

Thank you for your help.

I checked the black tubing that goes into the intake manifold, and it had a loose clamp which I tightened up. I also noticed that one of the small hoses that connect to the black tubing is somewhat loose so I replaced the clamp with another one but I still can pull it out easily, and the little white fitting that it goes on is moving a little bit. The "sucking sound" seems lower now but the check engine light came back on.

Jacob